A Blow to the Muslim Brotherhood

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"The Egyptian military's apparent ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood from power after just one troubled year in office deals a blow to the movement's push for influence in the region. It could mark the start of Islamists' decline as a political power in the region, but could also push some Islamists to give up on democracy and turn to violence. The Brotherhood has hemorrhaged support since Mohammed Morsi won the presidency 12 months ago with 51% of the popular vote. Under Brotherhood rule, crime has spiked, the economy has tanked, and the country's politics has grown dangerously polarized. The popular upswell of discontent with the Brotherhood and the movement's governing shortcomings has been acknowledged even to the movement's most defiant leaders.

The apparent ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is the most dramatic example of a trend seen elsewhere in the region. The rapid ascendance of Islamist movements in Arab countries as a result of the Arab Spring uprisings in 2011, is giving way to backlash against those movements. In Tunisia, the assassination in February of a secular opposition figure split the ruling Ennahda Party and triggered an unprecedented outpouring of protest which forced the country's Islamist rulers to reshuffle the government and bow to some opposition demands."
Egyptian military ousts Morsi, suspends constitution - The Washington Post

This trend is seen throughout the region as questions arise as to what caused this decline in support coupled with where is this movement headed now. This failed experiment leaves behind the legacy that sharia cannot coexist with democratic principals where people need to have freedoms but are thwarted by "the imposition of the Islamist views propagated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

I am impressed.

I was NOT impressed when they voted in a theocracy. But there have been a lot of human rights issues and for now, unless there is some reason to change my mind, I salute the people of Egypt.

We can envy them the smallness of their country which allows such direct participation in government.

Last edited:
Cute avatar, Sunshine. I like that one. I think Egypt can only go up from here so long as they remain vigilant to keep the IMF and Muslim Brotherhood out of their affairs and political process.

This trend is seen throughout the region as questions arise as to what caused this decline in support coupled with where is this movement headed now. This failed experiment leaves behind the legacy that sharia cannot coexist with democratic principals where people need to have freedoms but are thwarted by "the imposition of the Islamist views propagated by the Muslim Brotherhood."

I'm not so sure it's that definitive. Sharia is not a monolithic entity and the Islamist view of Sharia is not the only one. There are Islamic scholars working out how Sharia can fit into a modern and democratic society - that's the real experiment for those countries. There are also democratic countries where Sharia is part of the civil law but not the criminal or penal code.

The Islamists fail because they don't take into account their people and assume a victory is a victory for a fundamentalist religious agenda. What I hope is that the opposition can better organize itself for the next election. A large part of MB's success was that it was well organized and ready to take advantage of the momentum the revolution created.

Personally though - I have serious reservations that any religious system of law or governance can be truly democratic and provide for a truly free and open society with equal protections for all. We have yet to see that.

I'm not so sure it's that definitive. Sharia is not a monolithic entity and the Islamist view of Sharia is not the only one. There are Islamic scholars working out how Sharia can fit into a modern and democratic society - that's the real experiment for those countries. There are also democratic countries where Sharia is part of the civil law but not the criminal or penal code.

The Islamists fail because they don't take into account their people and assume a victory is a victory for a fundamentalist religious agenda. What I hope is that the opposition can better organize itself for the next election. A large part of MB's success was that it was well organized and ready to take advantage of the momentum the revolution created.

Personally though - I have serious reservations that any religious system of law or governance can be truly democratic and provide for a truly free and open society with equal protections for all. We have yet to see that.

Maybe a Coptic Christian as President of Egypt would be a nice change of pace. One that is friendly towards Israel. That would be moving in the right direction in my opinion.

• Banned

I am not referring to sharia as an institution rather a system by which law is made and how a country is governed and people are compelled to act as a way of life. The MB has been around in Egypt since 1928 and they have had their opportunity to run Egypt in their fashion. They claimed to be democratic and passed a constitution based on sharia law. Morsy broke his word many times and finally "Egyptians accuse Morsy and the Brotherhood of engaging in a process of "ikhwaninzation" -- or "Brotherhoodization", Ghitis says, describing it as "a quest to take control of state institutions and impose their Islamist views on the population."

The larger question may encompass whether a theocracy can successfully run a country. However, the more pointed question is why did the Muslim Brotherhood lose their support, their people and finally lose Egypt.

The answer can be stated in one sentence: "in June 2013, more people had signed a Tamarod -- or rebel -- petition to withdraw support for Morsy than voted for him in the election".

What is the Muslim Brotherhood?

Under Islam the only Law possible is Sharia Law as laid out in the Koran, which means that there is no independent civil law as in all democracies.

Let's hope and pray the next election in Egypt produce a secular government where Sharia Law is disregarded and doesn't have its usual toxic effects.

The best you could say right now is maybe. Fighting has already broken out between the military and pro islamic forces. Right now fundamentalist fighters from around the middle east are rushing to Egypt to fight for allah. Egypt might well fall into civil war yet.

Under Islam the only Law possible is Sharia Law as laid out in the Koran, which means that there is no independent civil law as in all democracies.

Let's hope and pray the next election in Egypt produce a secular government where Sharia Law is disregarded and doesn't have its usual toxic effects.
I do not think the Egyptian people will stand for another MB type government.

Make no mistake about it.

Israel's mossad and the CIA are behind the unrest and ousting of Pres. Morsi.

It's zionist rulers hated the idea of the Muslim Brotherhood being in control of Egypt.

Make no mistake about it.

Israel's mossad and the CIA are behind the unrest and ousting of Pres. Morsi.

It's zionist rulers hated the idea of the Muslim Brotherhood being in control of Egypt.

Morsy lost support with his broken promises and sharia based constitution. The crime rate rose, economy further declined.......Morsy and the Muslim Brotherhood simply did not know what they were doing and the people did not stand for it.

the MB will regroup and their true selves will out, will they make a grass roots Islamic populist appeal? if they do will it work?

The brother of the head guru of AQ, Mohamed al-Zawahiri, is the leader of Egypt Salafi-Jihadi movement ( he led the sept 11 cairo embassy protests) .

Will AQ, most especially if they are losing ground in Syria, refocus/deploy their assets in Egypt and become overtly hostile? That could be a game changer, think- Iraqs Anbar province, circa 2006....

well, the grass roots fellaheen may be and usually are amendable to that type of manipulation in that region sooooooooo.....

Israel and the CIA were sabotaging everything they could behind the scenes to destroy the MB

Obama recently gave the Egyptian military 1.5 billion in weapons and support.

Which was in reality a pay off to oust Morsi and kick out the MB from power.

Israel and the CIA were sabotaging everything they could behind the scenes to destroy the MB

Obama recently gave the Egyptian military 1.5 billion in weapons and support.

Which was in reality a pay off to oust Morsi and kick out the MB from power.

I have to ask for some reasonable back up for that.

This revolution was a Market Correction or case of Buyer's Remose, aided by the Army coming to the rescue. The Muslim Brotherhood has - at best - a little over a half-million members in a country of 84,000,000, so, if they DO decide to fight in-earnest, they're doomed.

"The Egyptian military's apparent ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood from power after just one troubled year in office deals a blow to the movement's push for influence in the region. It could mark the start of Islamists' decline as a political power in the region, but could also push some Islamists to give up on democracy and turn to violence. The Brotherhood has hemorrhaged support since Mohammed Morsi won the presidency 12 months ago with 51% of the popular vote. Under Brotherhood rule, crime has spiked, the economy has tanked, and the country's politics has grown dangerously polarized. The popular upswell of discontent with the Brotherhood and the movement's governing shortcomings has been acknowledged even to the movement's most defiant leaders.

The apparent ouster of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is the most dramatic example of a trend seen elsewhere in the region. The rapid ascendance of Islamist movements in Arab countries as a result of the Arab Spring uprisings in 2011, is giving way to backlash against those movements. In Tunisia, the assassination in February of a secular opposition figure split the ruling Ennahda Party and triggered an unprecedented outpouring of protest which forced the country's Islamist rulers to reshuffle the government and bow to some opposition demands."
Egyptian military ousts Morsi, suspends constitution - The Washington Post

All theocracies fail miserably when it comes to governance.

Forum List

Back