What are you reading?

oldfart

Older than dirt
Nov 5, 2009
Redneck Riviera
Just for chuckles and grins, I'm curious about reading habits. In particular,

1. How much do you read in say, a month?

2. How is this split among tree-killing books, e-books, and online sources?

3. How does this split out on a "for work" vs pleasure reading and fiction vs non-fiction?

4. What have you read recently/are reading now?

For fairness, here is my reading profile:

1. I read news daily and statistics and commentary on a regular basis, as well as my professional research service (taxation). I read for general information/ pleasure at least a couple hours every day.

2. I kill a lot of trees, adding 80--100 titles to the bookshelf a year. I can't get in the groove on e-books, but I'm trying (for my reading it isn't much cheaper). Online has pretty well replaced print newspapers and magazines for me, except for some waiting-room items (Smithsonian, National Geographic, Natural Science).

3. Other than research, work related stuff is probably less than 10% of my reading. Fiction only accounts for about 15% of my reading (I used to read a lot more science fiction, now it's mainly historical fiction). Lots of history in a dozen or so periods and subjects (Lincoln, economic history, Taoist philosophy, WWI, Russia and Central Asia).

4. Recent or current:
"Lords of Finance", Liaquat Ahamed
"Lincoln & the Decision for War", Russell McClintock
"Polk: The Man who Transformed the Presidency", Walter R Borneman
"FreeFall", Joseph E Stiglitz
"The Structure of Classical Economic Theory", Robert V Eagly
"The Brusilov Offensive", Timothy C Dowling
"Four Hats in the Ring", Lewis L Gould
"Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea", Mark Blyth
"The Metamorphosis and Other Stories", Franz Kafka
"Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War", Charles B Dew
"Bull by the Horns", Shiela Bair
"Lincoln's Constitution", Daniel A Farber
"The Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis", Ben S Bernanke

So, what are you reading?

Last edited:
I read, A LOT, but usually not that heavy. Almost all fiction, I read for the story. Reading for information I do on the net through various means but I can pin that dawn because I really don’t use any particular source. Other than maybe Google because we all know that Google knows EVERYTHING.

Other than that, I am attempting to finish the Wheel of Time series by Jordan. 13 books, 300-500 pages a piece, going to take a bit. Because I am deployed, I have some extra time so I am managing a book every week or so. All the books I read though are through my EBook. I can’t fathom how you can’t get into that groove, it is completely awesome. Particularly for me considering I can’t take a thousand books in paper with me every time I go somewhere but I have more than that with me now.

Better yet, if I can’t find something that I want at the store, it is almost a guarantee that there is a source somewhere on the net I can acquire the book from. EBooks are amazing.

Just finished "The Codebreakers" by David Kahn. From now on this book ought to be given to students, and perhaps have a few new chapters added. Very interesting and gave me a perspective on how information is affecting all of us.

It took a while getting through, but then again, I'm not used to read that kind of english terminology.

"The Codebreakers – The Story of Secret Writing (ISBN 0-684-83130-9) is a book by David Kahn, published in 1967 comprehensively chronicling the history of cryptography from ancient Egypt to the time of its writing. The United States government attempted to have the book altered before publication, and succeeded in part."
Wikipedia

I read two or three books a week.

If i want to read casually or for sheer enjoyment I stick with the Kindle if I want to really absorb the subject matter I go old school so I can write in the book and make annotated notes.

Just for chuckles and grins, I'm curious about reading habits. In particular,

1. How much do you read in say, a month?

2. How is this split among tree-killing books, e-books, and online sources?

3. How does this split out on a "for work" vs pleasure reading and fiction vs non-fiction?

4. What have you read recently/are reading now?

For fairness, here is my reading profile:

1. I read news daily and statistics and commentary on a regular basis, as well as my professional research service (taxation). I read for general information/ pleasure at least a couple hours every day.

2. I kill a lot of trees, adding 80--100 titles to the bookshelf a year. I can't get in the groove on e-books, but I'm trying (for my reading it isn't much cheaper). Online has pretty well replaced print newspapers and magazines for me, except for some waiting-room items (Smithsonian, National Geographic, Natural Science).

3. Other than research, work related stuff is probably less than 10% of my reading. Fiction only accounts for about 15% of my reading (I used to read a lot more science fiction, now it's mainly historical fiction). Lots of history in a dozen or so periods and subjects (Lincoln, economic history, Taoist philosophy, WWI, Russia and Central Asia).

4. Recent or current:
"Lords of Finance", Liaquat Ahamed
"Lincoln & the Decision for War", Russell McClintock
"Polk: The Man who Transformed the Presidency", Walter R Borneman
"FreeFall", Joseph E Stiglitz
"The Structure of Classical Economic Theory", Robert V Eagly
"The Brusilov Offensive", Timothy C Dowling
"Four Hats in the Ring", Lewis L Gould
"Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea", Mark Blyth
"The Metamorphosis and Other Stories", Franz Kafka
"Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War", Charles B Dew
"Bull by the Horns", Shiela Bair
"Lincoln's Constitution", Daniel A Farber
"The Federal Reserve and the Financial Crisis", Ben S Bernanke

So, what are you reading?
1.Maybe 5-8 books a month also several magazines
2.99% real books 1% online stuff...I am getting a e reader of some kind for Christmas because some of the stuff I want to read isn't in a library or in print.
3.All of its pleasure reading.
4.Um...really can't remember..several different things...

New York Times Bestseller "Wild Bill Donovan" by Douglas Waller, 2011 in paperback about the chief of the OSS. I picked it up in the book store discount section. It should be required reading for people who are interested in WW2 and American politics. It is so well researched that it kept me awake at night reading it even though I knew what happened in a historical context. Waller is no political ideologue. He criticizes FDR and defends Truman and (in my opinion) takes unfair shots at Dick Nixon.

I'm reading the bio of painter Diego Rivera.

I am mostly interested in the years he spent in Paris in 1914 to 1920 :)

He knew them all ...Modigliani, Picasso ...etc...

Next I might read a bio of one of his wives Frida Kahlo.

Just finished the Complete Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant. Working on I fired God by Jocelyn Zichterman. Read Calico Joe by John Grisham and am reading A Narrative of Suprising Conversions by Jonathan Edwards.

Last edited:
Great posts all! There are a couple titles I will check out. We ought to keep the thread going to give me a place to hide from flamethrowers and check out books. I think I'm going to start a list of books that turned out to not be the worth the effort (so likeminded others can avoid them!). I have some real stinkers gathering dust on the bookcases. Now if I only had a fireplace......

Forum List

Back