What antivirus protection do you use?

I'm using Norton but I forgot that McAfee offers free antivirus software to all DoD employess and families so I think I might use McAfee soon.

Hi 'Pale Rider',

I'm Melinda and represent Symantec on behalf of their PR Department.

On occasion stores will have sales that might be cheaper than our renewal price.
You should check out sites like pricegrabber.com, bizrate.com and shopping.com.

Let me know if I can assist with any other issues you may be having.

Regards,
Melinda

Thanks for the public relations speech, but my suggestion to you would then be, take a memo back to head quarters that say's, "don't gouge existing customers $10 more for a renewel than we charge for our initial download." And yes, it's $10 cheaper on YOUR website miss, not pricegrabber or bizrate.

Thanks, but thanks for nothing. I'm running AVG now.

Last edited:
I've had Norton for years but they're starting to piss me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can dowload the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It pisses me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?

AVG. There's a completely free version (with slightly fewer features) and a a couple of "full" versions. Have no problem with the free version at all. In fact, I also use it on our network at the office. Norton managed to screw-up our network protocols until I disabled some of the features. AVG has that little icon next to the web sites that indicates they are "safe" just as Norton does.

Ok, here's my free consulting advice:

1) Make Firefox your default browser (It breaks a lot of spy ware)

2) Operate your computer as a user not an administrator. Only go to admin mode when you need to.

3) Use AVG-Free for anti-virus

4) If you do get malware, you can clean it by downloading Malwarebytes It's the best stuff I've used lately.

Why?

2) Operate your computer as a user not an administrator. Only go to admin mode when you need to.

4) If you do get malware, you can clean it by downloading Malwarebytes It's the best stuff I've used lately.

Why?

When logged onto in administrator mode it is more possible for a script to install automated installs. In Windoze it doesn't make as much of a difference (don't know about Macs), but in Linux the programs are isolated from the rest, and in order to install programs you have to log in as administrator, using a "super user" password during a desktop session is a temporary log on for administration which times out automatically. You can run and view these program files but you cannot change or install without administration privileges. It's the same technique that prevents people from uploading their own websites over others. In Windoze you have actually make a user account and limit the access, but often times that will frustrate people since in order to switch you have to log out and back in.

Why?

When logged onto in administrator mode it is more possible for a script to install automated installs. In Windoze it doesn't make as much of a difference (don't know about Macs), but in Linux the programs are isolated from the rest, and in order to install programs you have to log in as administrator, using a "super user" password during a desktop session is a temporary log on for administration which times out automatically. You can run and view these program files but you cannot change or install without administration privileges. It's the same technique that prevents people from uploading their own websites over others. In Windoze you have actually make a user account and limit the access, but often times that will frustrate people since in order to switch you have to log out and back in.

Thanks!

I have been using NOD-32 from ESET, for quite a while now....very light on system and never need to worry about updating i also have Windows Defender which comes with the system,have never had a problem....also have router and firewall on and make sure i keep the upgrades on auto...and use Firefox too....

I believe in the power of Holy Water. I have some which was blessed by the Pope and I sprinkle it on my self daily for protection against all evil. I have also found that Super Trojan is very effective against virus and unwanted pregnanacy.

p.s. If you are not Roman Catholic try wearing garlic around your neck and carry your Bible (RC version).

Last edited:
I believe in the power of Holy Water. I have some which was blessed by the Pope and I sprinkle it on my self daily for protection against all evil. I have also found that Super Trojan is very effective against virus and unwanted pregnanacy.

p.s. If you are not Roman Catholic try wearing garlic around your neck and carry your Bible (RC version).

Good, then please dump some holy water on your computer for us all ...

I was raised Catholic, so it is not really blessed until ...

g258258dea04afc5dce14a2023de41fa6f561cce5c53be5.jpg

Bfgrn,

Yes you should pay for the Holy Water. Our Pope has to be paid too.

I was raised Catholic, so it is not really blessed until ...

g258258dea04afc5dce14a2023de41fa6f561cce5c53be5.jpg

Man, those collection plates just get bigger and bigger every year...

i only use AVG antivirus system for my system and i found that it is the best antivirus which i have ever used since it does not slows down the computer...
138l1103.jpg

Forum List

Back