What antivirus protection do you use?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I've had Norton for years but they're starting to piss me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can dowload the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It pisses me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

So what antivirus do you use and why?

I've had Norton for years but they're starting to piss me off. My subscription has expired but I notice when I click on renew it takes me to their website and a renewal costs $39.99. But if I simply do a search for antivirus programs, I can dowload the entire new 2009 Norton antivirus for ten bucks less. Why are these people trying to gouge existing customers and not new customers? It pisses me off. It's just enough for me to never use Norton again.

We also use Norton and on our desktop have automatic renewal. We got a laptop last fall and bought Norton 360 - more protection/features for less than the renewal on our desktop. Our renewal was also $40 bucks. It's ridiculous. When our subscription comes up again this year we won't renew it. We'll get it elsewhere for less.

As for Norton itself, we've never had a problem and it's stopped viruses so overall, I'm happy with the product.

The company I was a rep for in Florida provided laptops. They have at least 250 laptops in 5 states...

The IT dept. removed Norton from the Dells and installed AVG's free version

It's a good idea to clear cookies etc. frequently...I'm using Foxfire, and it has an option to automatically clear all personal information when you close the browser...

The company I was a rep for in Florida provided laptops. They have at least 250 laptops in 5 states...

It's a good idea to clear cookies etc. frequently...I'm using Foxfire, and it has an option to automatically clear all personal information when you close the browser...

How about that... I'm using Firefox as well, and I uninstalled the Norton and downloaded the AVG free version.

Thanks for the heads up.

PC-cillin Pro. I buy the disk at the store. You can register and use it on three computers.
Last time I got it I think it was $39.00.

I have tried the rest and to me this one is the easiest to use. I take the time to block out any unwanted adware. A few minutes of time of putting the permant block on these ad sites and I rarely have any unwanted cookies or spyware/malware.

Norton sucks! AVG has been almost flawless, I highly recommend it (the paid version).

AVG. 3 Years and counting... It was liberating to write Norton and tell them to go pork theirself!

How about that... I'm using Firefox as well, and I uninstalled the Norton and downloaded the AVG free version.

Thanks for the heads up.

Your welcome.

I started using Foxfire when MS's Internet Explorer had some security issues that they had no updates for...

I find it MUCH faster than IE...

Hmmm... lots of "Norton bad, AVG good."

With that, I went back to the AVG website and downloaded the pay version, AVG 8.5 free for thirty days. If I like it, I'll buy it.

Although Norton still is regarded as one of the top anti virus software programs, I have no big love for it. I think the way they try and clip you for $40 to renew, but then you can buy a brand new download of the full version for $30, that's not good. I'll ditch them just for that.

With that, I went back to the AVG website and downloaded the pay version, AVG 8.5 free for thirty days. If I like it, I'll buy it.

Although Norton still is regarded as one of the top anti virus software programs, I have no big love for it. I think the way they try and clip you for $40 to renew, but then you can buy a brand new download of the full version for $30, that's not good. I'll ditch them just for that.

My dad was an electrical engineer. He got into personal computers as a hobby in the early 1980's. He started out with the Texas Instrument TI/99 which used assembly language; a royal pain in the ass..

His first DOS based computer was a Heathkit/Zenith ...

Which leads me to my point...my dad was a huge fan of Peter Norton...I recall this book he bought authored by him..

31601554.jpg

I use Norton, but I use the enterprise version. They provide better support.

You have to scrounge around for the free version... They kinda hide it in an effort to get you to buy the full featured version. The free version works fine and it doesn't expire in 30 days.

On the other hand, maybe you do stuff most of us don't and need the full version.

We could form a club. MS pc owners who dumped Norton for AVG.
Check out this site Security Tango.
Security Tango - Keep Your Computer Clean
Nick is a good systems pro, is really good with pcs and small systems, has done a local call in and advice show on PCs.
He put together this all in one page for PC users security questions. Lots of good stuff.
Links to sites and Freeware.
I use Firefox browser, use CCLeaner, and a couple other filters/scrubbers on my PCs.
There is a lot of good Freeware available, but well rated paid versions are more capable and comprehensive and are better supported.

We could form a club. MS pc owners who dumped Norton for AVG.
Check out this site Security Tango.
Security Tango - Keep Your Computer Clean
Nick is a good systems pro, is really good with pcs and small systems, has done a local call in and advice show on PCs.
He put together this all in one page for PC users security questions. Lots of good stuff.
Links to sites and Freeware.
I use Firefox browser, use CCLeaner, and a couple other filters/scrubbers on my PCs.
There is a lot of good Freeware available, but well rated paid versions are more capable and comprehensive and are better supported.

Linux ... nothing needed for that.

Yeah, I don't use any anti-virus on my Linux computer.

BTW - Win 7 beta is pretty good, if you have any interest at all in Windows. I've found it to be very stable, fast, and easy to use.

Forum List

Back