What antivirus protection do you use?

What does AVG offer vs. Norton? What makes it better? Thanks.

First...it's free.

Second... you get automatic updates as often as daily.

Third... you don't pay for those updates...

Fourth... no annoying pop-ups.

Fifth: It works. ;)

Thanks. Except for the free part (I like the free part :D) Norton does all that too. I'll have to look into it AVG some more. We've never had any problems with Norton.

Hmmm... lots of "Norton bad, AVG good."

With that, I went back to the AVG website and downloaded the pay version, AVG 8.5 free for thirty days. If I like it, I'll buy it.

Although Norton still is regarded as one of the top anti virus software programs, I have no big love for it. I think the way they try and clip you for $40 to renew, but then you can buy a brand new download of the full version for $30, that's not good. I'll ditch them just for that.

My dad was an electrical engineer. He got into personal computers as a hobby in the early 1980's. He started out with the Texas Instrument TI/99 which used assembly language; a royal pain in the ass..

His first DOS based computer was a Heathkit/Zenith ...

Which leads me to my point...my dad was a huge fan of Peter Norton...I recall this book he bought authored by him..

31601554.jpg

I've got an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering myself. We were taught basic computer language, programing, DOS, binary and such too. It just didn't hold my interest like something mechanical does though.

I do like the Firefox browser compared to the I.E..

First...it's free.

Fifth: It works. ;)

Thanks. Except for the free part (I like the free part :D) Norton does all that too. I'll have to look into it AVG some more. We've never had any problems with Norton.

well, you know the old adage, if it ain't broke... ;)

Hmmm... lots of "Norton bad, AVG good."

With that, I went back to the AVG website and downloaded the pay version, AVG 8.5 free for thirty days. If I like it, I'll buy it.

Although Norton still is regarded as one of the top anti virus software programs, I have no big love for it. I think the way they try and clip you for $40 to renew, but then you can buy a brand new download of the full version for $30, that's not good. I'll ditch them just for that.

My dad was an electrical engineer. He got into personal computers as a hobby in the early 1980's. He started out with the Texas Instrument TI/99 which used assembly language; a royal pain in the ass..

Which leads me to my point...my dad was a huge fan of Peter Norton...I recall this book he bought authored by him..

31601554.jpg

I've got an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering myself. We were taught basic computer language, programing, DOS, binary and such too. It just didn't hold my interest like something mechanical does though.

Firefox just rules!

I actually miss the simpler ASM with MS-DOS, yeah, you had to do it all on your own but it made coding more fun.

I didn't even know there was a computer section.... sorry. (I should have looked more I guess.)

Thanks for moving it.

Oh, we switched to FireFox within the past few months and love it over IE. Faster, nice features (love tabbing favorites) and the auto spell-check is great. College daughter told us about it; good to know all that money is benefiting us too!

31601554.jpg

Firefox just rules!

I actually miss the simpler ASM with MS-DOS, yeah, you had to do it all on your own but it made coding more fun.

Back in the day of monochrome monitors, with bright green lettering, I programed our families first computer to continually scroll "Happy Birthday Sarah," for my sister on her birthday by just hitting any key. I know... big deal... but, it was back then. They were impressed... :D

Oh, we switched to FireFox within the past few months and love it over IE. Faster, nice features (love tabbing favorites) and the auto spell-check is great. College daughter told us about it; good to know all that money is benefiting us too!

Faster, yes. Spell check, best thing since sliced bread. It underlines things misspelled in red, put your cursor over it, right click, and there's all the suggestions for the correct spelling. Great stuff. There's quite a few here that ought to use it...

Last edited:
Linux ... nothing needed for that.

Yeah, I don't use any anti-virus on my Linux computer.

BTW - Win 7 beta is pretty good, if you have any interest at all in Windows. I've found it to be very stable, fast, and easy to use.

Naw, I'm to happy with Ubuntu to switch back. I may "test" it someday.

I wish I could switch. Too many BS programs I have to use. I suppose I could use them all RDP, but.....not sure. I kept Linux on a dual boot for years, but got away from it when I got my new laptop.

Faster, yes. Spell check, best thing since sliced bread. It underlines things misspelled in red, put your cursor over it, right click, and there's all the suggestions for the correct spelling. Great stuff. There's quite a few here that ought to use it...

Isn't it though? I'm Monkish about stuff like that and FireFox just makes it so much easier. Only problem, it highlights everyone else's mistakes too. There's a lot of red underlining going on 'round here! :lol:

Ok, here's my free consulting advice:

1) Make Firefox your default browser (It breaks a lot of spy ware)

2) Operate your computer as a user not an administrator. Only go to admin mode when you need to.

3) Use AVG-Free for anti-virus

4) If you do get malware, you can clean it by downloading Malwarebytes It's the best stuff I've used lately.

Isn't it though? I'm Monkish about stuff like that and FireFox just makes it so much easier. Only problem, it highlights everyone else's mistakes too. There's a lot of red underlining going on 'round here! :lol:

I had to use IE one day on here 'cuz I was on another computer and I was so freaked out about misspellings. It almost took the fun out of it.

First...it's free.

Fifth: It's user friendly.

Sixth: It works. ;)
NORTON is a pig on the pc's resources, and it keeps trying to add its own programs and run your pc for you. Same with Zonealarm's AV.
F that.
AVG is simple, easy, very effective. Their paid version has better protection and features than the freeware.
I recommend looking at it.

Hi 'Pale Rider',

I'm Melinda and represent Symantec on behalf of their PR Department.

On occasion stores will have sales that might be cheaper than our renewal price.
You should check out sites like pricegrabber.com, bizrate.com and shopping.com.

Let me know if I can assist with any other issues you may be having.

Regards,
Melinda

Forum List

Back