What a great idea for improving Public School Test Scores

Someone posted a link about Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer drawing a comparison to “feeding stray animals” during a speech about people on government assistance, which I thought had some ideas of merit. Here's onea:

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well, you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'”

Bauer said during the speech that there are no “repercussions” from accepting government assistance.

“We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting,” Bauer said.

“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

S.C. Republican: Aid like feeding strays - CharlotteObserver.com

What do you think?
Asking parents to care will get howls of protests and excuses for why they don't.

Someone posted a link about Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer drawing a comparison to “feeding stray animals” during a speech about people on government assistance, which I thought had some ideas of merit. Here's onea:

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well, you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'”

Bauer said during the speech that there are no “repercussions” from accepting government assistance.

“We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting,” Bauer said.

“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

What do you think?

WOW!

Xsited1...I hope that you aren't buying this guy's conclusions, otherwise your credibility as a reasonably intelligent poster will drop precipitously.

You sound like someone who lives in Maine who has no experience with this sort of thing. :lol:

Jeez people. Kids aren't going to go hungry. It's pretty simple. You take government assistance to care for your children, you attend PTA meetings. What's so hard about that? And if they can't attend PTA meetings, they can get a waiver. Worst case, they lose their kids because most likely they never cared for them in the first place.

If you keep giving away things for free, people will see there are no repercussions from accepting government assistance. And people who accept government assistant are not dumb. They will usually do what is necessary to get that money. Imagine having to go to a PTA meeting to get government assistance. OH, THE HUMANITY! THE PARENT(S) MAY ACTUALLY TAKE A BIGGER ROLE IN THEIR KIDS LIVES AND EVERYONE BENEFITS. HOW HORRIBLE!

Or you could keep giving away things for free and let these people become dependent on the government, continue to be irresponsible and replace the father in the family with big brother. That's the real tragedy in America. I can't believe there are so many people who want to keep these people on the 'plantation'. If you ask me, that's just cruel.

I live this every day. As a teacher, I still ascribe to the notion that a good education can improve one's circumstances in life. Unfortunately for many of these kids, they don't think their circumstances need improving. They are denied very little. Every year the teachers chip in for Christmas presents for a "needy family" and every year they ask for Xbox games and designer handbags. They don't need coats or food.

My biggest gripe with my students is school supplies. Every single one of them has a cell phone but they do not own a notebook or a calculator. "That's the school's job" is their mantra.

I like the idea of forcing parental participation. At my own kids' school, parents have to PICK up the report card at conferences. They will not mail them. Small step in the right direction.

What do you think?

All children should get free lunches, and that's what they thankfully do in my district.

But I do believe that drug tests should be required for help, and also the government should employ those who're recieving aid to do work that would otherwise remain undone. Helping out seniors and vets, cleaning up cities, clearing brush etc etc etc.

What do you think?
So he is pretty much saying he wants to punish children who are growing up poor, with parents who probably don't care, and some who have parents that are drugs. I worked at a school where almost all the children were on free or reduced lunches, and there is only so much teachers can do. And I love how the solution to this guy is to not feed the children, because that is exactly what would happen if he got his way. When in reality, the only meals some of those kids eat are at school.

The parents should be held criminally responsible for not participating in their children's educations. That's neglect.

I agree about the free lunches, you can't teach a child who is starving.

So you support letting the kids go hungry.... How else are you going to teach them not to be poor?

I am not letting anybody go hungry. Their parents are.

Not all poor people are on welfare and aid. Some folks who're poor, are at the level where they're still dirt poor, but not poor enough to get aid. Which is sad in my opinion, for these people, a couple bucks a day for 5 days a week for 9 months a year is impossible. I was in that situation a few times. It isn't fair to the children and it isn't the parents faults.

Yea!

Other peoples kids are not our problem! Lets turn the USA into Calcutta....

I am not turning the USA into Calcutta. The loser dead beat parents who don't take care of their kids are. That seems to be a fact you fail to grasp. I've lead a responsible and productive life in not always the most optimal of circumstances.

Was the USA Calcutta before the great welfare state? I think not.

And many poor people live a responsible and productive life, but because of the rules being what they are, many people who're a lil above the threshhold can't simply spare the money without the lights getting shut off, or the rent not being paid. Why should the child be forced to watch other children eat while they're starving, that's just inhuman and add to the fact that their parents or parent are contributing taxpayers.

I'd take it a step further...if you are receiving government assistance you should be required to perform community service in your neighborhood.

It serves a dual purpose...no one should receive something for nothing AND it helps clean up the community.

I agree, provide minimum wage and ween them off of aid or adjust their aid so where they're doing better and contributing. The ones who refuse, then cut'em off.

So you support letting the kids go hungry.... How else are you going to teach them not to be poor?

Not all poor people are on welfare and aid. Some folks who're poor, are at the level where they're still dirt poor, but not poor enough to get aid. Which is sad in my opinion, for these people, a couple bucks a day for 5 days a week for 9 months a year is impossible. I was in that situation a few times. It isn't fair to the children and it isn't the parents faults.

There are some folks that like being poor.

They like cheap clothes, cheap wine, and cheap wimmin.

I live this every day. As a teacher, I still ascribe to the notion that a good education can improve one's circumstances in life. Unfortunately for many of these kids, they don't think their circumstances need improving. They are denied very little. Every year the teachers chip in for Christmas presents for a "needy family" and every year they ask for Xbox games and designer handbags. They don't need coats or food.

My biggest gripe with my students is school supplies. Every single one of them has a cell phone but they do not own a notebook or a calculator. "That's the school's job" is their mantra.

I like the idea of forcing parental participation. At my own kids' school, parents have to PICK up the report card at conferences. They will not mail them. Small step in the right direction.

I think criminal prosecution should come into the equation when parents refuse to participate or help their children. I think it's a form of neglect.

I think criminal prosecution should come into the equation when parents refuse to participate or help their children. I think it's a form of neglect.

You'd be arresting half the parents in the Little Rock school district. :cool: My kids go to private schools, so parental participation is around 100%.

You'd be arresting half the parents in the Little Rock school district. :cool: My kids go to private schools, so parental participation is around 100%.

I send Delilah to school with the kids.

They make bad grades, I blame her, then she yells at them.

It almost makes marriage worthwhile.:cool:

:razz:

Well it's one thing if the parents are involved and the children get bad grades, it's another if the parents aren't.

In the 13 years I've been teaching, I've had less than 20 parents show up for conferences which are offered three times a year. There have been years with zero. I teach handicapped kids who have annual IEP meetings, and there are years that not one parent has shown. When students get suspended, they are often sent to the time out room because the parents refuse to get them. When they are given a Saturday detention, most do not show because there are no busses. I don't know what the solution is. I've suggested calling the Div. of Youth and Family services, but they don't like to deal with kids over 14, and have more important issues to address. Our administrators have given up. Neglected kids are the teacher's problem. And of course if they fail, that is also the teacher's problem. That's why the unions are opposed to the "teacher accountability" component of Obama's plan. It must include ALL concerned parties, and it doesn't.

In the 13 years I've been teaching, I've had less than 20 parents show up for conferences which are offered three times a year. There have been years with zero. I teach handicapped kids who have annual IEP meetings, and there are years that not one parent has shown. When students get suspended, they are often sent to the time out room because the parents refuse to get them. When they are given a Saturday detention, most do not show because there are no busses. I don't know what the solution is. I've suggested calling the Div. of Youth and Family services, but they don't like to deal with kids over 14, and have more important issues to address. Our administrators have given up. Neglected kids are the teacher's problem. And of course if they fail, that is also the teacher's problem. That's why the unions are opposed to the "teacher accountability" component of Obama's plan. It must include ALL concerned parties, and it doesn't.

I think that in order to avoid criminal prosecution, they should attend these meetings, and if unable too, then provide a legitimate reason as to why they didn't.

I know I was lucky in that my parents refused to allow me to take a day off, or not make me do my homework, and even though both worked and having an austistic brother, one or the other still made it.

Yea!

Other peoples kids are not our problem! Lets turn the USA into Calcutta....

I am not turning the USA into Calcutta. The loser dead beat parents who don't take care of their kids are. That seems to be a fact you fail to grasp. I've lead a responsible and productive life in not always the most optimal of circumstances.

Was the USA Calcutta before the great welfare state? I think not.

And many poor people live a responsible and productive life, but because of the rules being what they are, many people who're a lil above the threshhold can't simply spare the money without the lights getting shut off, or the rent not being paid. Why should the child be forced to watch other children eat while they're starving, that's just inhuman and add to the fact that their parents or parent are contributing taxpayers.

Want to bet most of them have cell phones, cable, and internet access?

In the 13 years I've been teaching, I've had less than 20 parents show up for conferences which are offered three times a year. There have been years with zero. I teach handicapped kids who have annual IEP meetings, and there are years that not one parent has shown. When students get suspended, they are often sent to the time out room because the parents refuse to get them. When they are given a Saturday detention, most do not show because there are no busses.

Then Why Have Saturday Detention?

Why have IEP meetings?

Why have three conference days/nights a year?

I've taught too chanel, AND I'm a Semi-concerned parent when I can tear myself away from Octopron, AND I don't wanna see my kids teachers anymore than they wanna see me.

If there's a problem, just freakin' pick up the phone.

In the 13 years I've been teaching, I've had less than 20 parents show up for conferences which are offered three times a year. There have been years with zero. I teach handicapped kids who have annual IEP meetings, and there are years that not one parent has shown. When students get suspended, they are often sent to the time out room because the parents refuse to get them. When they are given a Saturday detention, most do not show because there are no busses.

Then Why Have Saturday Detention?

Why have IEP meetings?

Why have three conference days/nights a year?

I've taught too chanel, AND I'm a Semi-concerned parent when I can tear myself away from Octopron, AND I don't wanna see my kids teachers anymore than they wanna see me.

If there's a problem, just freakin' pick up the phone.

IEP is required by Federal law and applies to students in special education.

You prob had two parents too. Out of the 45 kids I teach this year, only a handful have a relationship with their fathers. Its particularly hard on boys whether people will admit it or not. We don't value fatherhood enough in today's culture. And the pregnant girls I teach have no delusions about "happily ever after" with their baby's dadda. A few of them already have neglected kids with other girls. The national average for handicapped kids is around 10 percent. My district is at 25 and growing and growing...Soon we will be seeing dormitories housing these neglected kids and their babies. The push for universal pre school has little to do with academics. Its for the safety of hungry and abused children IMHO.

Forum List

Back