West Virginia Teachers Win !!

Noy
And the average home cost is $150K, so lower pay is justified.

The average salary would get a home around 109,000 and the starting salary a home around 50,000.
So? Doesn't everyone in a starting position start low? Why should teachers be any different?
How low should low be?

How do you expect to recruit and retain quality teachers when they can cross the line into PA and OH and earn 58,000 and 63,000 respectively?

If West Virginia ranks 51 out of 51 or if you use the other link that I posted 47 out of 51 also in Quality Rating they are rated 30th, the quality of the teachers in West Virginia is already chronic, so why would you want to reward bad teachers with a pay rise? IMHO a teachers pay should be related to the quality of the job they are doing, so if the overall Quality rating is 30th then no the teachers shouldn't get a pay rise, whats needed is Performance Related Pay if they are doing a good job they get a pay rise and if they are doing a bad job they get a pay cut to ENCOURAGE them to get with the programme and begin doing a good job and if they consistently fail at improving their performance then they should be fired.
The quality of education depends on more then just teachers. That is one of the issues. The other is if you don’t invest in decent pay you aren’t going to attract or retain good teachers in enough numbers to make a difference, not when you can cross a state line and make a lot more.

If you were a teacher starting out where would you go?
So what did the parent's and tax payers get out of this deal? Same teachers. same schools. same results, higher wages. They're just paying more for the same old shit. There's not going to be a rush of better teachers going there. It's the same ones only being paid more.

Taxpayers lose because.... because.... they have to pay teachers enough to live off?

I was reading about teachers who were getting excited about taking waitressing jobs on the weekends. Are you kidding me? Is that what you want? Teachers who are so tired they can't do their job properly? You pay for what you get.

Let em sling hash and beg for tips....That's far better than them teaching our kids to be communists and queers. I doubt many of them will last at it....a good waitress has to smile and remember things without writing them down...most leftists are too sour to smile and have an attention-span of about 10-15 seconds.

Noy
The average salary would get a home around 109,000 and the starting salary a home around 50,000.
So? Doesn't everyone in a starting position start low? Why should teachers be any different?
How low should low be?

How do you expect to recruit and retain quality teachers when they can cross the line into PA and OH and earn 58,000 and 63,000 respectively?

If West Virginia ranks 51 out of 51 or if you use the other link that I posted 47 out of 51 also in Quality Rating they are rated 30th, the quality of the teachers in West Virginia is already chronic, so why would you want to reward bad teachers with a pay rise? IMHO a teachers pay should be related to the quality of the job they are doing, so if the overall Quality rating is 30th then no the teachers shouldn't get a pay rise, whats needed is Performance Related Pay if they are doing a good job they get a pay rise and if they are doing a bad job they get a pay cut to ENCOURAGE them to get with the programme and begin doing a good job and if they consistently fail at improving their performance then they should be fired.
The quality of education depends on more then just teachers. That is one of the issues. The other is if you don’t invest in decent pay you aren’t going to attract or retain good teachers in enough numbers to make a difference, not when you can cross a state line and make a lot more.

Well I would have to read about how much investment in education there has been in West Virginia etc

"If you were a teacher starting out where would you go?"

That is easy I would teach at a private school and/or be a private tutor.

You would likely go where you get a decent level of pay though wouldn't you?

WV does not invest enough in education, and it's educational infrastructure is in poor shape.

I like how this thread is "Teacher's Win!!"

Who else won here? Not the student's, not the tax payers, Not the parents, Not the education system, certainly not the state.

So the teachers won a raise. Everyone else kinda got fucked.

Taxpayers lose because.... because.... they have to pay teachers enough to live off?

I was reading about teachers who were getting excited about taking waitressing jobs on the weekends. Are you kidding me? Is that what you want? Teachers who are so tired they can't do their job properly? You pay for what you get.

Let em sling hash and beg for tips....That's far better than them teaching our kids to be communists and queers. I doubt many of them will last at it....a good waitress has to smile and remember things without writing them down...most leftists are too sour to smile and have an attention-span of about 10-15 seconds.

Well, clearly, had your teachers not been waitresses at the weekend, you might have got an education too, instead of coming up with all this paranoia.

Noy
How low should low be?

So what did the parent's and tax payers get out of this deal? Same teachers. same schools. same results, higher wages. They're just paying more for the same old shit. There's not going to be a rush of better teachers going there. It's the same ones only being paid more.

With better wages - maybe the better teachers will stay. You aren't going to get good quality with bottom of the barrel wages.

How low should low be?

Well I would have to read about how much investment in education there has been in West Virginia etc

WV does not invest enough in education, and it's educational infrastructure is in poor shape.
So the teachers union in the past hasn't done much of anything to improve that, I'm going to bet it won't improve it over the next few years either.

How low should low be?

So the teachers union in the past hasn't done much of anything to improve that, I'm going to bet it won't improve it over the next few years either.

Teacher's unions have nothing to do with that.

How low should low be?

With better wages - maybe the better teachers will stay. You aren't going to get good quality with bottom of the barrel wages.
You're not going to replace these union teachers for decades. They just got a raise. They are there until they decide to retire because the union won't let them get replaced. You haven't improved anything.

You're insane if you think that. You kids entire education is based on what the union will allow at a public school.

How low should low be?

You're not going to replace these union teachers for decades. They just got a raise. They are there until they decide to retire because the union won't let them get replaced. You haven't improved anything.

I agree that there has to be some way of incorporating merit into pay and teachers CAN get fired. However - with those low wages you are also not rewarding the good teachers who can do better elsewhere.

You're insane if you think that. You kids entire education is based on what the union will allow at a public school.

No. I'm totally sane. Infrastructure, educational investment - that comes from our legislature and property taxes.

So the teachers have no role in the success of their students then? If so why are the teachers even there?

you should get a refund from yours as you have no ability to think critically.

saying teachers aren't the sole reason for student failure and success isn't saying teachers have nothing to do with same.

a well taught person wouldn't have to be told this.

they would know.

The teachers are responsible for the childrens education when they are in the school, the parents are not in the school with them. You in typical Leftist fashion just want bad teachers let off the hook.

Also in typical Leftist fashion you are up your own buttocks and patronising. Time for you to boil your head or whatever Troll Boi.

what a tremendous insight- i want bad teachers let off the hook

i never would have known if you hadn't applied your own rather facile brand of pretzel logic to my post

thanks for sharing it

All the Leftists have been defending these teachers in this thread even though West Virginia is 51 out of 51 in the table.

Typical righty. You want to effectively lower the pay standard in WV by not raising pay for them so that the best of them will leave. But take heart, if you were a state, they would not be last.

"But take heart, if you were a state, they would not be last."

Huh? If I were a State? Hey SassyIrishLass we have another one of those Leftists with an IQ of 240 or whatever :rolleyes-41:

How low should low be?

Agreed, and it’s only made things worse. The crap teachers have just learned they don’t have to bother improving their standards as they get pay increases for being crap.

West Virginia teachers' strike ends as lawmakers accept pay demands

A victory for people power. Hats off to these guys for holding out for a proper deal. You can beat the man if you stick together.
Tax payers lose.......

Why was toothbrush invented in West Virginia? Because any where else it would be called TeethBrush.
What do you get with 32 West Virginians in one room? A full set of teeth..
n798397043_746959_8533.jpg

thought I'd pile on....

What is 100 ft long and has 12 teeth? The front row at a Willie Nelson concert.

So the teachers have no role in the success of their students then? If so why are the teachers even there?

saying teachers aren't the sole reason for student failure and success isn't saying teachers have nothing to do with same.

they would know.

The teachers are responsible for the childrens education when they are in the school, the parents are not in the school with them. You in typical Leftist fashion just want bad teachers let off the hook.

Also in typical Leftist fashion you are up your own buttocks and patronising. Time for you to boil your head or whatever Troll Boi.

i never would have known if you hadn't applied your own rather facile brand of pretzel logic to my post

thanks for sharing it

All the Leftists have been defending these teachers in this thread even though West Virginia is 51 out of 51 in the table.

Typical righty. You want to effectively lower the pay standard in WV by not raising pay for them so that the best of them will leave. But take heart, if you were a state, they would not be last.

Why not give merit based raises like in the real world rather than lumping the shit teachers in with the good ones?

How low should low be?

WV pays plenty for teachers. They have the problem that everyone else does in this country that our education system is way to expensive for the poor results we're getting. Our teachers are as a whole doing a terrible job. Teachers need to be accountable and their pay tied to improving performance of our dreadful school systems compared to the rest of the western powers.

And pay is way higher than it appears since the Union of Failed Teachers and other teacher unions don't like counting that they get three months off every summer

they would know.

thanks for sharing it

Why not give merit based raises like in the real world rather than lumping the shit teachers in with the good ones?

And we need a way to get rid of the shit ones. We shouldn't give any teachers a raise until they stop circling the wagons around preventing firing the ones who suck

West Virginia teachers' strike ends as lawmakers accept pay demands

A victory for people power. Hats off to these guys for holding out for a proper deal. You can beat the man if you stick together.
Now tell us the quality of education these teachers are responsible for, Tommy.

45th out of 50.

Should have fired them all and hired non union teachers interested in kids education.
How can one xpect the best teachers to come and work at the next to lowest salary in the nation?

Conservatives hate education and that hate is manifested in the way they regard educators.

Who do you think pays the teachers salaries? Poor school districts can't afford to pay teachers sky high salaries. Teachers in poor districts can expect to be paid what the district can afford, they are free to quit and go teach in some other district or state.

Teachers are overpaid considering the terrible performance of our educational system and that they get three months off every summer.

Taxpayers deserve better than we're getting for what we're paying now

Forum List

Back