We're not a democracy?

mmmjvpssm

Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, good luck with that one

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
(attributed to Thomas Jefferson. He never said it but the ones who claim that he did say it are the very same ones who claim we're not a democracy, which I find kind of amusing)

The rest of these quotes are real. They are all from Presidential Inaugural addresses

So it is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world

The concerted effort of free nations to promote democracy is a prelude to our enemies’ defeat.

Through much of the last century, America's faith in freedom and democracy was a rock in a raging sea

Our democratic faith is more than the creed of our country, it is the inborn hope of our humanity, an ideal we carry but do not own, a trust we bear and pass along; and even after nearly 225 years, we have a long way yet to travel

America, at its best, is a place where personal responsibility is valued and expected. Encouraging responsibility is not a search for scapegoats, it is a call to conscience. Though it requires sacrifice, it brings a deeper fulfillment. We find the fullness of life not only in options, but in commitments. We find that children and community are the commitments that set us free. Our public interest depends on private character, on civic duty and family bonds and basic fairness, on uncounted, unhonored acts of decency which give direction to our freedom. Sometimes in life we are called to do great things. But as a saint of our times has said, every day we are called to do small things with great love. The most important tasks of a democracy are done by everyone. I will live and lead by these principles, "to advance my convictions with civility, to pursue the public interest with courage, to speak for greater justice and compassion, to call for responsibility and try to live it as well." In all of these ways, I will bring the values of our history to the care of our times.
(George W. Bush)

We meet on democracy's front porch, a good place to talk as neighbors and as friends

Great nations of the world are moving toward democracy through the door to freedom

Here today are tens of thousands of our citizens who feel the understandable satisfaction of those who have taken part in democracy and seen their hopes fulfilled

Our children are watching in schools throughout our great land. And to them I say, thank you for watching democracy's big day. For democracy belongs to us all
(The above are from the Inaugural Address of George Bush in 1988)

We strive for peace and security, heartened by the changes all around us. Since the turn of the century, the number of democracies in the world has grown fourfold.
We stand together again at the steps of this symbol of our democracy--or we would have been standing at the steps if it hadn't gotten so cold. Now we are standing inside this symbol of our democracy

(A little joke there by Reagan. For those who are too young to remember or have forgotten on the day of his second inauguration it was so cold they had to move the ceremony indoors. He took the oath of office in the White House)

In our form of democracy the expression of the popular will can be effected only through the instrumentality of political parties
(Herbert Hoover)

Because we cherish ideals of justice and peace, because we appraise international comity and helpful relationship no less highly than any people of the world, we aspire to a high place in the moral leadership of civilization, and we hold a maintained America, the proven Republic, the unshaken temple of representative democracy, to be not only an inspiration and example, but the highest agency of strengthening good will and promoting accord on both continents

Amid it all we have riveted the gaze of all civilization to the unselfishness and the righteousness of representative democracy, where our freedom never has made offensive warfare, never has sought territorial aggrandizement through force, never has turned to the arbitrament of arms until reason has been exhausted
(Warren Harding)

Never before have men tried so vast and formidable an experiment as that of administering the affairs of a continent under the forms of a Democratic republic
(Theodore Roosevelt)

If there have been those who doubted whether a confederated representative democracy were a government competent to the wise and orderly management of the common concerns of a mighty nation, those doubts have been dispelled

(John Quincy Adams)

(The following are taken from State of the Union addresses of Ronald Reagan, patron saint of the right AKA people who insist we're not a democracy)
Fortunately, we and our allies have rediscovered the strength of our common democratic values, and we're applying them as a cornerstone of a comprehensive strategy for peace with freedom. In London last year, I announced the commitment of the United States to developing the infrastructure of democracy throughout the world. We intend to pursue this democratic initiative vigorously. The future belongs not to governments and ideologies which oppress their peoples, but to democratic systems of self-government which encourage individual initiative and guarantee personal freedom.

In Central America and the Caribbean Basin, we are likewise engaged in a partnership for peace, prosperity, and democracy.
(1983)

The tide of the future is a freedom tide, and our struggle for democracy cannot and will not be denied. This nation champions peace that enshrines liberty, democratic rights, and dignity for every individual

We have always struggled to defend freedom and democracy.

Tonight, it is democracies that offer hope by feeding the hungry, prolonging life, and eliminating drudgery.

We can establish a more stable basis for peaceful relations with the Soviet Union; strengthen allied relations across the board; achieve real and equitable reductions in the levels of nuclear arms; reinforce our peacemaking efforts in the Middle East, Central America, and southern Africa; or assist developing countries, particularly our neighbors in the Western Hemisphere; and assist in the development of democratic institutions throughout the world.

I've never felt more strongly that America's best days and democracy's best days lie ahead
(1984)

You know, we only have a military-industrial complex until a time of danger, and then it becomes the arsenal of democracy.

Our mission is to nourish and defend freedom and democracy, and to communicate these ideals everywhere we can.
(1985)

We know that peace follows in freedom's path and conflicts erupt when the will of the people is denied. So, we must prepare for peace not only by reducing weapons but by bolstering prosperity, liberty, and democracy however and wherever we can

To those imprisoned in regimes held captive, to those beaten for daring to fight for freedom and democracy—for their right to worship, to speak, to live, and to prosper in the family of free nations—we say to you tonight: You are not alone, freedom fighters.
(1986)

In the spirit of Jefferson, let us affirm that in this Chamber tonight there are no Republicans, no Democrats—just Americans. Yes, we will have our differences, but let us always remember what unites us far outweighs whatever divides us. Those who sent us here to serve them—the millions of Americans watching and listening tonight-expect this of us. Let's prove to them and to ourselves that democracy works even in an election year

Today America is strong, and democracy is everywhere on the move
(1988. In his 1988 State of the Union address Reagan used the word democracy, or a variation thereof, 18 times. All positive. Actually 19 times but the first one refers to the party)

To close a few more by Reagan. These are from his address on the 40th anniversary of D Day
One's country is worth dying for, and democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man

Today, as 40 years ago, our armies are here for only one purpose -- to protect and defend democracy.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The United States is a constitutional republic. A democracy would use majority rule for all issues. Thank God we do not!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.~ Benjamin Franklin

We are a Represenative Republic. NOT a democracy. And thank God for that. If we were, California and New York would determine how the rest of the country lives. Now, think about it.....is that what you REALLY want!?!?!

Since on the subject I always loved this article by Ann Landers written years ago.......
Communism: You have two cows. Give both cows to the government, and they may give you some of the milk. Fascism: You have two cows. You give all of the milk to the government, and the government sells it.
Nazism: You have two cows. The government shoots you and takes both cows.
Anarchism: You have two cows. Keep both of the cows, shoot the government agent and steal another cow.
Capitalism: You have two cows. Sell one cow and buy a bull.
Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government makes you take harmonica lessons.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The United States is a constitutional republic. A democracy would use majority rule for all issues. Thank God we do not!

The United States is a Constitutional Plutocracy, which is a democratic republic where votes can be purchased and propaganda has replaced discourse and debate. God had nothing to do with it.

The United States is a Constitutional Plutocracy, which is a democratic republic where votes can be purchased and propaganda has replaced discourse and debate. God had nothing to do with it.

Sorry pal, Belief in god had everything to do with this country, no matter how much you want to stomp your foot and sit in a corner and pout....

Sorry pal, Belief in god had everything to do with this country, no matter how much you want to stomp your foot and sit in a corner and pout....

I'm not about to stomp my feet and sit in a corner and pout, though you seem to be given your reaction to my remark. Belief in God had nothing to do with it, Reagan and his buddies changed Greed from one of the deadly sins into a virtue.

If belief in God, as you say, had everything to do with it, please prove it. Did belief in God cause slave owners to break up families, rape slaves?

Last edited:

I'm not about to stomp my feet and sit in a corner and pout, though you seem to be given your reaction to my remark. Belief in God had nothing to do with it, Reagan and his buddies changed Greed from one of the deadly sins into a virtue.

If belief in God, as you say, had everything to do with it, please prove it. Did belief in God cause slave owners to break up families, rape slaves?

I dont have to prove it,... what your trying to do is rewrite history.... we were always a christian Nation between the fucking years of 1496 and 1960.... then it changed.... thanks to your ilk...

oh yea so you still want a couple of acres and a mule? what I thought wave.....

We're not a democracy?

Well, just ask Al Gore about winning the popular vote or the Supreme Courts decision not to tally the votes in Florida or how the Electoral College may switch their vote ...

the answer is best made more certain by the margin of victory.

or landslide LBJ or 351 votes for Al Franken after 6 months of litigation ....

I'm certain the OP took a lot of time and effort to put together the post and should be thanked, at least for the effort to make a point.

I can put out country very simply - we are a representative republic where the power is supposed to be invested in the people - not the government!

For the billionth time...

We are not a democracy or majority rule.. not at the individual level.. and not at the government al level...

For one main reason.. the Constitution.. which is in place in our Republic to prevent tyranny of the masses that comes with democracy

We are indeed democratically elected (in SOME cases).... but not in all... some individual referendums can be voted upon with a majority pass... BUT the Constitution is in place to TRUMP the democratic or majority rule or decision when the ruling or decision falls in opposition the the rights and grants in the Constitution that set limitations in government and people

We are a representative constitutional republic

Forum List

Back