Were Lincoln, Grant, and Sheridan War Criminals?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Biden and others going on about Putin being a war criminal must never have heard tell of Sherman's March to the Sea and the whole "I can make this march and I intend to make Georgia Howl" thing.

Not to mention the sacking of the Shenandoah Valley and Gen. Sheridan quipping "A carrion crow in his flight across must either carry his rations or starve" during "The Great Burning" in 1864.

The Burning: Shenandoah Valley in Flames (U.S. National Park Service)

Both operations had the full support and blessing of both Grant and Lincoln, countless thousands suffered the effects of "scorched earth" at the hands of "invaders".

So were they they all war criminals or is it one of those "Oh, well that's different" type of things?

Biden and others going on about Putin being a war criminal must never have heard tell of Sherman's March to the Sea and the whole "I can make this march and I intend to make Georgia Howl" thing.

Not to mention the sacking of the Shenandoah Valley and Gen. Sheridan quipping "A carrion crow in his flight across must either carry his rations or starve" during "The Great Burning" in 1864.

Both operations had the full support and blessing of both Grant and Lincoln, countless thousands suffered the effects of "scorched earth" at the hands of "invaders".

So were they they all war criminals or is it one of those "Oh, well that's different" type of things?
The yankees were war criminals.....no doubt about that.

"Deserves" has nothing to do with the question I asked.

In today's context that our so-called leaders are using to judge Putin by were they "war criminals" or not?

40 percent of the Confederacy was enslaved. They deserved what they got

Nobody in Ukraine is involved in crimes against humanity
They don’t deserve what is happening to them

"Deserves" has nothing to do with the question I asked.

In today's context that our so-called leaders are using to judge Putin by were they "war criminals" or not?
Putin is a war criminal.....no doubt about that.

The South were Terrorists

They deserve what they got

The South were Democrats. They got what they deserved but in the end, Jefferson Davis himself wasn't even tried for treason. He was set free two years later and eventually got a presidential pardon.

The yankees were war criminals.....no doubt about that.
Funny thing....When the Yankees burned the iron furnace two of my ancestors worked at they took up arms and fought the Yankees till war's end as bushwhackers. They were considered Virginia's version of "essential workers" back then.

The bastards even burned a Confederate Medical Department convalescent hospital a few miles away.....If that is not criminal behavior I don't know what is. The weird thing was there were about a half-dozen Yankee officers there healing up and they tried to stop them to no avail.

It's a dangerous practice to just the morality of the past by our morality today. I like to think we're progressing upward.

It's a dangerous practice to just the morality of the past by our morality today. I like to think we're progressing upward.
That's what you get for "thinking". Morality seems to be whatever feels good these days.
Just look at the definition of the word and ponder on what you wrote.

morality
[məˈralədē]

NOUN
  1. principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

Morality seems to be whatever feels good these days.
Exactly and that has always been the case. It was moral to own slaves 200 years ago but no longer. It is call change and anyone who says there is an absolute moral code is kidding themselves.

By modern standards they would be, but those were mostly fleshed out since then. When the south was falling, allegedly the mayor of my city and some of his boys road out to greet the union troops to let them know the city would surrender, but if their troops entered it, they would be killed on the spot because they weren't going to allow them to loot and burn the place down without a fight to the death.

No need to go back to the Civil War. Look at the bombing of Dresden.

Or Clinton's phony war against Serbia.
Most Americans never do this. You need to add the horrors of W’s and O’s many mass murdering wars.

Is Putin a war criminal, only when it can be proved that during the war or occupation he purposely slaughtered unarmed people, or has the definition of war criminal changed? His unprovoked invasion of Ukraine doesn’t in my opinion make him a war criminal only another communist exercising Stalinistic behavior on his weaker neighbors in the attempt to reclaim what the USSR once was under Stalin. He underestimated the resolve of Ukrainians who knew their history and what life was like under communist rule. What the idiot did accomplish was to awaken and strengthen NATO in Europe and need for Ukraine to clean up its act so that it possibly could be asked to join NATO, exactly the opposite of what he set out to do. He should never had kicked the sleeping dog.

All world leaders since time immemorial are and have been war criminals. The leaders of nations of men think not in terms of the welfare of the individual or of even hundreds of individuals, but think nothing of spending thousands, ten thousand or millions of lives if doing so serves their cause. The original idea of countless people living together in cities, kingdoms and nations was never meant to be in service of the common good or wealth but rather enrichment of the rulers who lorded over them. Belief in the kindness, goodness or morality of any world leader over another is the height of naïveté. Mankind only raises tyrants to lord over him. Been that way for many, many millennia. Putin is a partial throwback to tyrants of a more honorable if not civilized era. Naked tyranny will turn up again in the world, sooner than most people would or want to believe. After that happens, the Joe Bidens, Donald Trumps, and Justin Trudeaus of the world will seem like tranquil Sunday afternoons by comparison. Perhaps our world needs a modern-day Attila, Hannibal or Genghis to set things straight.

Forum List

Back