Were Bill Maher's comments about Obama justified?

Discussion in 'Media' started by Derek_Plumber, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Derek_Plumber

Derek_Plumber BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bill Maher: Obama obsessed with being on TV

Bill Maher Takes On Obama: "This Isn't What I Voted For" (VIDEO)

Self-described libertarian pundit Bill Maher ripped Barak Obama during a lengthy monologue on his HBO program Friday night, accusing the president of being obsessed with appearing on TV and failing to come through on pre-election promises.

"This is not what I voted for," Maher said. “I don’t want my president to be a TV star.”

Maher criticized Obama's constant television coverage ("I get it: you love being on TV") and said the president should focus on fixing the nation's problems instead.

"You don't have to be on television every minute of every day -- you're the president, not a rerun of 'Law & Order,'" Maher said. “TV stars are too worried bout being popular and too concerned about being renewed."

Maher continued: "You're skinny and in a hurry and in love with a nice lady -- but so is Lindsay Lohan. And just like Lindsay, we see your name in the paper a lot but we're kind of wondering when you’re actually going to do something.”

Maher added that Obama's presidential rival John McCain was right to say Obama acted like a celebrity and, amazingly for Maher, the comedian suggested Obama needs to act more like his predecessor.

“I never thought I’d say this, what [Obama] needs in his personality is a little George Bush.”

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    Hell yeah, he has the right to say that. He's a citizen of this great nation with an opinion. He never held back with G.W. Bush, and you never asked if they were justified. Go figure...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. wvulax

wvulax Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    he never asked if he had the right, we all know he does.

He's an extremist. Bill has admitted this. He wants an extremist/himself in office like everyone else. Extremists don't get much done in politics, so no I don't think he's justified in saying that.

4. Metternich

Metternich Federalist Farmer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I believe that I am going to re-think my position on Maher completely; swear to God (irony) I thought Maher was a pompous blowhard who thought that too many people actually cared about what he thought. Which is still true but at the same time he is a pompous blowhard that thinks too many people care what he thinks that is also willing to be what a true news pundit should be - critical of both sides.

That he is also a Libertarian also helps things.

That he actually has a show, and is funny, makes me believe that he is not another Michael Moore that comes out with stupid 'Mocumentaries' because of the Hollywood leftist slant - is another plus. Clearly, he can produce.

Finally, this is exactly what I was thinking (minus the voting part, obviously) about Obama as I heard him this morning. How much TV time is he going to take before we all realize that he really is 'Big Bro' and so much of the media is a Government Sponsored Enterprise like Fannie/Freddie Mac? I can see the rot hasn't spread entirely to HBO, which is refreshing considering how liberal I imagined they were.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  5. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,964
    They are somewhat justified however he is on everyday in the name of transparency, imo. A lot of people were upset by the secrecy of the last administration, they never let anyone know what they were doing, mainly because they didn't even know.

I want him on TV letting us know what is going on but no, no and a big NO about him changing his personality to be more like Bush. Bill can switch the channel if it upsets him so much.

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    yes

7. Metternich

Metternich Federalist Farmer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Were the comments justified? I'm going to say 'No' because the worst case scenerio is if Obama did indeed do what Maher wants; a Obama more concerned with doing what he promised, instead of looking good, would be an Obama that is much harder to criticize.

8. sidneyworld

sidneyworld Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Bill Maher joins the ranks of Rosie O'Donnell and other wanna-be politicians with absolutely no credibility. No matter who he is talking about, the shock factor simply factors in his experience as an MC of Catch A Rising Star on 1st Avenue in Manhattan before it shut down. Probably the best in the business and that's about it.

Moore, yet another complete asshole, has, at the very least, film experience as a noted profession. Bill Maher is simply a sideshowman with very little political showmanship or intelligence.

Go figure.

Anne Marie

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I think Bill is frustrated with Obama much in the same way the far right was frustrate with Bush when he would not expel illegals, criminalize abortions and invade iran. Justified? you'll have to ask him. Necessary? hell yes. I appreciate that lefties won't auto-support a dem president just because the bible tells them who the end of days president should be.

10. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,624
    yea....Bill can say that.....and he isnt the first to say it....would a jerk like Obernuts say anything against Obama?....just wonderin....