Were Bill Maher's comments about Obama justified?

Derek_Plumber

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Bill Maher: Obama obsessed with being on TV

Bill Maher Takes On Obama: "This Isn't What I Voted For" (VIDEO)

Self-described libertarian pundit Bill Maher ripped Barak Obama during a lengthy monologue on his HBO program Friday night, accusing the president of being obsessed with appearing on TV and failing to come through on pre-election promises.

"This is not what I voted for," Maher said. “I don’t want my president to be a TV star.”

Maher criticized Obama's constant television coverage ("I get it: you love being on TV") and said the president should focus on fixing the nation's problems instead.

"You don't have to be on television every minute of every day -- you're the president, not a rerun of 'Law & Order,'" Maher said. “TV stars are too worried bout being popular and too concerned about being renewed."

Maher continued: "You're skinny and in a hurry and in love with a nice lady -- but so is Lindsay Lohan. And just like Lindsay, we see your name in the paper a lot but we're kind of wondering when you’re actually going to do something.”

Maher added that Obama's presidential rival John McCain was right to say Obama acted like a celebrity and, amazingly for Maher, the comedian suggested Obama needs to act more like his predecessor.

“I never thought I’d say this, what [Obama] needs in his personality is a little George Bush.”

Last edited:

Self-described libertarian pundit Bill Maher ripped Barak Obama during a lengthy monologue on his HBO program Friday night, accusing the president of being obsessed with appearing on TV and failing to come through on pre-election promises.

"This is not what I voted for," Maher said. “I don’t want my president to be a TV star.”

Maher criticized Obama's constant television coverage ("I get it: you love being on TV") and said the president should focus on fixing the nation's problems instead.

"You don't have to be on television every minute of every day -- you're the president, not a rerun of 'Law & Order,'" Maher said. “TV stars are too worried bout being popular and too concerned about being renewed."

Maher continued: "You're skinny and in a hurry and in love with a nice lady -- but so is Lindsay Lohan. And just like Lindsay, we see your name in the paper a lot but we're kind of wondering when you’re actually going to do something.”

Maher added that Obama's presidential rival John McCain was right to say Obama acted like a celebrity and, amazingly for Maher, the comedian suggested Obama needs to act more like his predecessor.

“I never thought I’d say this, what [Obama] needs in his personality is a little George Bush.”

Hell yeah, he has the right to say that. He's a citizen of this great nation with an opinion. He never held back with G.W. Bush, and you never asked if they were justified. Go figure...

he never asked if he had the right, we all know he does.

He's an extremist. Bill has admitted this. He wants an extremist/himself in office like everyone else. Extremists don't get much done in politics, so no I don't think he's justified in saying that.

I believe that I am going to re-think my position on Maher completely; swear to God (irony) I thought Maher was a pompous blowhard who thought that too many people actually cared about what he thought. Which is still true but at the same time he is a pompous blowhard that thinks too many people care what he thinks that is also willing to be what a true news pundit should be - critical of both sides.

That he is also a Libertarian also helps things.

That he actually has a show, and is funny, makes me believe that he is not another Michael Moore that comes out with stupid 'Mocumentaries' because of the Hollywood leftist slant - is another plus. Clearly, he can produce.

Finally, this is exactly what I was thinking (minus the voting part, obviously) about Obama as I heard him this morning. How much TV time is he going to take before we all realize that he really is 'Big Bro' and so much of the media is a Government Sponsored Enterprise like Fannie/Freddie Mac? I can see the rot hasn't spread entirely to HBO, which is refreshing considering how liberal I imagined they were.

Last edited:

They are somewhat justified however he is on everyday in the name of transparency, imo. A lot of people were upset by the secrecy of the last administration, they never let anyone know what they were doing, mainly because they didn't even know.

I want him on TV letting us know what is going on but no, no and a big NO about him changing his personality to be more like Bush. Bill can switch the channel if it upsets him so much.

Were the comments justified? I'm going to say 'No' because the worst case scenerio is if Obama did indeed do what Maher wants; a Obama more concerned with doing what he promised, instead of looking good, would be an Obama that is much harder to criticize.

Bill Maher joins the ranks of Rosie O'Donnell and other wanna-be politicians with absolutely no credibility. No matter who he is talking about, the shock factor simply factors in his experience as an MC of Catch A Rising Star on 1st Avenue in Manhattan before it shut down. Probably the best in the business and that's about it.

Moore, yet another complete asshole, has, at the very least, film experience as a noted profession. Bill Maher is simply a sideshowman with very little political showmanship or intelligence.

Go figure.

Anne Marie

I think Bill is frustrated with Obama much in the same way the far right was frustrate with Bush when he would not expel illegals, criminalize abortions and invade iran. Justified? you'll have to ask him. Necessary? hell yes. I appreciate that lefties won't auto-support a dem president just because the bible tells them who the end of days president should be.

yea....Bill can say that.....and he isnt the first to say it....would a jerk like Obernuts say anything against Obama?....just wonderin....

So it's just Bill Maher and Rosie?

At least Bill didn't fail out like Rush and Sean.

yea....Bill can say that.....and he isnt the first to say it....would a jerk like Obernuts say anything against Obama?....just wonderin....

gosh, wally, how many republican talking heads do you think I can drum up in retort who would have rather died than criticized Bush? That Bill Mahar is saying what we all know not a single fox "news" personality was willing to say speaks VOLUMES about your laughable outrage.

These comments were taken out of the context of the entire show.

Maher is still very much an Obamabot - BUT, his little one minute tirade here does suggest a festing dissatisfaction with Obama among the very far left - of which Mahar is, at least on television, a member.

Smoke n mirrors though - smoke n mirrors.

They are somewhat justified however he is on everyday in the name of transparency, imo. A lot of people were upset by the secrecy of the last administration, they never let anyone know what they were doing, mainly because they didn't even know.

I want him on TV letting us know what is going on but no, no and a big NO about him changing his personality to be more like Bush. Bill can switch the channel if it upsets him so much.

Lying = transparency ? ....... :eusa_whistle:

gosh, wally, how many republican talking heads do you think I can drum up in retort who would have rather died than criticized Bush? That Bill Mahar is saying what we all know not a single fox "news" personality was willing to say speaks VOLUMES about your laughable outrage.

I agree. I watched that Bill Maher show and I didn't hear him saying anything other than it's his opinion that Obama is saturating the airwaves. So what if he complains that Obama is on TV too much, he has an opinion just like everyone else.

The thing about Bush's personality kind of made me want to smack him one but other than that.. :lol:

These comments were taken out of the context of the entire show.

Maher is still very much an Obamabot - BUT, his little one minute tirade here does suggest a festing dissatisfaction with Obama among the very far left - of which Mahar is, at least on television, a member.

Smoke n mirrors though - smoke n mirrors.

That would be festering. Normally I let these things slide, but I know how anal you are so I figured you'd want to know. :eusa_whistle:

I think Bill Maher has all the right in the world to say what he said. I think what it shows us is that he is an independent thinker and is not a shill for a party or politician. He usually constructs his ideas and thoughts with reason and is very good at finding a funny twist. I can understand where people don't like his politics, but unlike the right wing radio/tv commentators, he doesn't see the need to defend his president at any cost. This is a good thing. It is our job as citizens to question the people in office. They work for us, we don't work for them.

hahaha .............. oh this is priceless.

As Obama wastes time crying about FOX News at every appearance, but, isn't leader enough to go face to face and confront his critics. LOL

Yeah Maher, you pig, you supported him, you voted for him, now your just another little rat looking for the best time and excuse to jump ship! :clap2:

I can only think of one....Hannity.
Rush criticized Bush, O'Reilly criticized Bush, Mark Lavin criticized Bush. Can you think of any others Shogun?

Forum List

Back