Votes: 1 2.2%
  • A Viscious Cycle that breeds dependency

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Private Charities can do it better

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Necessary to Civilization

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters
I did my internship in a home for addicted pregnant women on the streets. Its a huge organization that has major fund raisers to not only fund the place I worked in but also the homeless food kitchen and men/women's recovery program.
The home I worked in has helped soooo many addicted pregnant women have clean babies when they are born, educate these women and get them on their feet out in working society.
There is noo way this could be done with donations alone.

As others have said yes their are leaches and scum bags who take advantage, which ruin it for the rest.
There should be a way to produce some jobs that actually do go out and check on these people, and if they could work.

What was the donation/government funding ratio?

I did my internship in a home for addicted pregnant women on the streets. Its a huge organization that has major fund raisers to not only fund the place I worked in but also the homeless food kitchen and men/women's recovery program.
The home I worked in has helped soooo many addicted pregnant women have clean babies when they are born, educate these women and get them on their feet out in working society.

As others have said yes their are leaches and scum bags who take advantage, which ruin it for the rest.
There should be a way to produce some jobs that actually do go out and check on these people, and if they could work.

What was the donation/government funding ratio?

When the girls first got to the home they were put on assistance by the government to have their babies and money at first to support them. This large group got these girls up and on thier feet, educated ( GED's) with healthy babies Mandatory they had to have a job 3 months after birth
So really it was health care and welfare until they got on their feet they all were perfectly ready and healthy to work and get off the welfare.
Some stayed clean, some relapsed and lost their children and went back on the streets sorry to say.

Charities are great, however there simply isn't enough charities to assist all those in need in our country. Have you ever donated time at a food bank? I have, when times are hardest, people donate less.

How much time and money have you donated to the poor in the last year?
In my experience, those who claim Conservatives are all greedy bastards the loudest, give the least of their own free will.

Where did I ever say conservatives were all greedy bastards? However I can point you to the post where you said 90% of those who need assistance vote dem.

It's my expierence that those that complain the loudest about "those greedy dems looking for a handout" don't pay much in taxes.

remove the welfare mentality and there would be enough charity to go around.

Because that's exactly the way it was before we had welfare.

There is no private charity in this country with the reach and financial backing to help as many people as the U.S. Government can and does.

Is welfare necessary? Depends. Would you like a weaker economy and higher crime?

So Welfare is basically about bribing people to commit less crimes? Really? That's very revealing how you look at people who receive Welfare.

There is no private charity in this country with the reach and financial backing to help as many people as the U.S. Government can and does.

Is welfare necessary? Depends. Would you like a weaker economy and higher crime?

So Welfare is basically about bribing people to commit less crimes? Really? That's very revealing how you look at people who receive Welfare.

Have you ever seen Les Miserables?

That poll is hard to answer Hortysir. Do you mean what should Welfare be? It should be a hand up. Or do you mean, what is welfare currently? Welfare is currently just exactly what the Democrats want it to be... a hand out. The last thing in the world Democrats want is for the poor to break the cycle of dependency upon the government. Therefore, the Dems offer the poor just enough to keep them alive but not enough to break out of dependency.

Then they have the audacity to say that Republicans don't care!

Immie

Is government-run welfare really necessary?

Can private charities do a better job of taking care of the less fortunate?

Is it better to give a man a fish to hold him over until he can afford steak, or to teach him how to fish?

Well, it was intended to be a hand up, but that changed decades ago. Once people got used to having things paid for them, it was hard to give it up. Now it's nothing but a vicious cycle of dependency passed down to each new generation. It's not temporary for most because they find it too hard to leave and go out on their own despite all the programs that were supposed to prepare them for the job market. We've paid millions for training and the welfare to work program did well, but now Obama has eliminated the work requirement.

Of course, with new freebies always being added to the pot, the government keeps their little slaves on the hook.

Welfare should always be temporary for the able bodied. Now we've got 4th and 5th generations of families on welfare. It's not just lifelong, it's family tradition in many cases.

Last edited:
That poll is hard to answer Hortysir. Do you mean what should Welfare be? It should be a hand up. Or do you mean, what is welfare currently? Welfare is currently just exactly what the Democrats want it to be... a hand out. The last thing in the world Democrats want is for the poor to break the cycle of dependency upon the government. Therefore, the Dems offer the poor just enough to keep them alive but not enough to break out of dependency.

Then they have the audacity to say that Republicans don't care!

Immie

My intent was to see what our democrat/liberal/progressive neighbors feel Welfare *should* be and who should be responsible for managing it.

I think we've seen how these things line up
:cool:

Is government-run welfare really necessary?
There is a common misconception as to what constitutes ‘welfare’ or those receiving public assistance.

For the most part citizens receiving public assistance are the elderly, disabled, and children. Still more receive assistance as low-income working families. Those not employed are required to job search, perform community service, or be enrolled in a training program as a condition of on-going eligibility.

Public assistance is necessary as a temporary benefit for families where a job loss occurs through no fault of the working adult or adults, such as a layoff, injury, or illness.

No. Private, non-profit entities lack the resources or policy knowledge necessary to administer state and federal programs adequately. In situations where a non-profit does administer a government program, such as Goodwill Industries with regard to job placement and training, those services can only be provided with comprehensive Federal funding.

Is it better to give a man a fish to hold him over until he can afford steak, or to teach him how to fish?
The problem is that although most public assistance programs require and provide education and training designed to get people off of public assistance and become self-sufficient, such as the Workforce Investment Act (‘WIA’), many of these programs are under-funded or not funded at all.

Often this is the result of budget restraints realized by state and local governments, sometimes this is the consequence of politicians hostile to these programs for partisan reasons.

But the laws, policies, and programs are in place designed to retrain displaced workers and return them to the workforce – that these programs aren’t being utilized is not the fault of those receiving public assistance, but the fault of politicians and voters unwilling to fund and support them.

So Big Government is the know-all and end-all for all that ails it's constituents.
:confused::confused::confused:

There was some discussion, further back, about the 'shame factor'.

One needs only to log in, fill out a form, and get a check from a nameless and faceless entity.

Require them to personally show up, to a live person, with their hand out and wait and see how long that continues

Nah, don't you have to show up or stand in the gubmint line?

Welfare is the practice of paying a living wage to those who have chosen to do nothing as a career choice.

Total, utter crap.

While there are some who might fall into that category, where the likes of you lose this argument is when you try and make it the norm. Over my 27 years of working, I was on the dole for three months 20 years ago. Hated every minute of it. Of the half dozen or so friends of mine who have been on it for varying amounts of times (one guy for three weeks, another for nine months) - every single one of them hated it....

I know in the UK - and it might be the same in the US- that there are some families who are on their second or third generation of being unemployed. yes that is bad and needs to be dealt with. Is it the norm? Shit, no...no matter how many times the uber cons think it is..

Last edited:

Because that's exactly the way it was before we had welfare.

And it worked from 1776 until the Great Depression.

Forum List

Back