We Need to Have School Choice Because Our Public Schools are Failing

Not sure how school choice works

If everyone chooses to go to the best school, how do we fit them?

Each student has a different idea of what a "best school" is, RW.

Some prefer schools with no discipline whatsoever, where the kids are permitted to run free. Others prefer a stricter, more studious environment.

Of course, there are specialized schools, like Madrassas aka Islamic seminaries like where Obama attended,or yeshivas for Jewish children. In the major liberal cities, they actually have schools which are strictly for Homos and people of other diverse sexual preferences.

Parents decide. Some schools in a district have great facilities, winning sports teams, good teachers.......others don’t

What happens when every parent takes their voucher and wants to go to the “good school”?

And the money spent, has no significant impact on educational outcomes. We have known this since the 60s.

When every parent takes their voucher and goes to the good schools, the good schools grow to the new numbers and the crap schools die.

How do these good schools grow as most are overcrowded already?

The high school where I taught in Florida for 10 years had over 3200 students the year I left. Because our district had a magnet school program, many of our students living in out attendance zone were in one of the magnet schools. If those programs were cut, over 4500 students would be attending that school. They did build a new high school about 2 years after I left to relieve the overcrowding, bit that took 12+ years to purchase land, plan and build. Overoptimistic answers like your are never easy and rarely realistic.

Where did you get the idea that education has not improved since the 60s? Are you repeating the same old tired education bashing talking points?

Some prefer schools with no discipline whatsoever, where the kids are permitted to run free. Others prefer a stricter, more studious environment.

Of course, there are specialized schools, like Madrassas aka Islamic seminaries like where Obama attended,or yeshivas for Jewish children. In the major liberal cities, they actually have schools which are strictly for Homos and people of other diverse sexual preferences.

Parents decide. Some schools in a district have great facilities, winning sports teams, good teachers.......others don’t

What happens when every parent takes their voucher and wants to go to the “good school”?

And the money spent, has no significant impact on educational outcomes. We have known this since the 60s.

When every parent takes their voucher and goes to the good schools, the good schools grow to the new numbers and the crap schools die.

The price of education really doesn't necessarily indicate quality.

The private institution I attended had much lower costs that the Governmental institutions, but had much better results. I don't know what you think Nuns get paid, but believe me, it isn't much. These broads love to teach, and they have tremendous patented methods to get the lessons across to the children. It isn't the money that attracts them to the profession.

Teachers in Catholic schools are usually not nuns anymore. The tuition is $11,750 per month in our Catholic high school, which is much higher than public schools which averaged $9300 per pupil expenditure in this state.

How do they pay their teachers far less in Catholic schools? Where is the money going?

Last edited:

The high school where I taught in Florida for 10 years had over 3200 students the year I left. Because our district had a magnet school program, many of our students living in out attendance zone were in one of the magnet schools. If those programs were cut, over 4500 students would be attending that school. They did build a new high school about 2 years after I left to relieve the overcrowding, bit that took 12+ years to purchase land, plan and build. Overoptimistic answers like your are never easy and rarely realistic.

Where did you get the idea that education has not improved since the 60s? Are you repeating the same old tired education bashing talking points?

It is a vague answer, not overoptimistic.

And my point was that spending more does not effect edcuational outcomes.

It is a vague answer, not overoptimistic.

And my point was that spending more does not effect edcuational outcomes.

Your point is not supported by any evidence. You are simply repeating talking points fed to you by those who are ignorant about public education and want to see it dismantled..

Um I have been sounding this gong for a few years now. These evacuation circumstances are not at ALL "rare" and it is NOT the problem of the "public schools". You could disband every single public school today and you would still have this problem. It's a SOCIETY problem.

Well, yes and no. Private schools do often seem to deal with it better, even if dealing with it, is just shit canning the fucked up kids, instead of letting them shit can the whole class.

Troubled kids often come from families unable to afford private school.

There have been examples of religious schools or magnet schools, taking in poor students and doing quite well with them.
And were the parents engaged? Most private schools I know REQUIRE parents to participate or else they do not accept their children.

Um I have been sounding this gong for a few years now. These evacuation circumstances are not at ALL "rare" and it is NOT the problem of the "public schools". You could disband every single public school today and you would still have this problem. It's a SOCIETY problem.

Well, yes and no. Private schools do often seem to deal with it better, even if dealing with it, is just shit canning the fucked up kids, instead of letting them shit can the whole class.

Troubled kids often come from families unable to afford private school.

There have been examples of religious schools or magnet schools, taking in poor students and doing quite well with them.
And were the parents engaged? Most private schools I know REQUIRE parents to participate or else they do not accept their children.

Don't recall. Why do you ask? Do you care?

Forum List

Back