"We Control America." Sharon...

They walk around professing to know all there is about the Middle East.

I don't know all there is to know about the Middle East, Roudy, and I would never describe myself as an expert.

But I have lived in the region, worked in the region, studied the region and published extensively about the region and I have been to perhaps a dozen Islamic and Arabic countries.

Hence, I know a hell of a lot more about it than a person who has never been there, and couldn't locate most of the countries with a map.

I'm going to learn Iran next year to learn more about that - you might try that yourself some time.

I have a trip to Iran coming up, actually, so I am really excited about learning more about the country and culture. I'm planning to go to Qoms, Shiraz, Tehran, and one or two other places, but I haven't gone into much detail yet.

:eusa_liar::bsflag: I call bullshit!

Roudy -

He still isn't the king...and I don't care who calls him that.

You know - you could just once in a while admit "Ok, I didn't know that" , or "OK, I got that wrong."

You'd get far more respect for the honesty than you do this insane bluffing.
Yes you don't care if the Iranians call him king. It's your opinion and analysis that counts, I understand. Let's not get the facts get in the way. Ha ha ha.

The fact is that he is NOT the King, nor the Shah...he is the Crown Prince.

Can you admit that, do you think?
Hey look what I found IN YOUR OWN LINK. Idiot, you don't even read what you post, in your desperation to prove me wrong?

Monarchy

Following in a line of Iranian monarchic dynasties stretching back 3000 years, the Pahlavi dynasty was founded early in the twentieth century. The revolution of 1979 led to the replacement of the Iranian constitutional monarchy (de facto absolute monarchy) with an Islamic republic. Although he currently lives in exile, Pahlavi is still regarded by some Iranians as the current Shah of Iran.[citation needed] After the death of his father, Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi, Pahlavi symbolically declared himself Shāhanshāh (Literally, King of Kings in Persian) at the age of 21.
[edit]

Roudy -

Just because you would never have the balls to go anywhere, doesn't mean other people don't.

It's how people who are informed, get to be informed.

Jesus, this time next month I'll be in Liberia - the month after in Benin!

I have a trip to Iran coming up, actually, so I am really excited about learning more about the country and culture. I'm planning to go to Qoms, Shiraz, Tehran, and one or two other places, but I haven't gone into much detail yet.

I call bullshit!

Really? Why?

Is going to Iran SO unusual?
No you claim to have also been to Kurdistan. Actually I call con-artist and professional liar. And credit me for observing how deceptive this ignorant Fatima Saigoon is. I want a medal or some type of recognition!

Roudy -

I am never desperate to prove you wrong - you fairly much do it by yourself.

Again - the man is the Crown Prince. He can call himself Queen, Burgermeister or Fuhrer all he likes - he'll still be the Crown Prince.

amir, Roudy, et al,

Yes, it is a shame; but, only from a western point-of-view. Remember, today, the Rule of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is fully protected, 100% by Iranian Guards and a government of the Iranian === and by the Iranian. If it were true that the Iranian people wanted something different, just as they did in 1979, they can change it. The simple fact is, they are not changing it (tacit approval). We can only assume that the majority of Iranians enjoy the fruits the Supreme Leader has brought to them

This is so painfully true, Roudy.
The cities were sparkling under the shah. Boys and girls wearing fashionable clothes, competed globally with their foreign counterpart, without the fear of being grabbed by some thugs for "immodesty".
even the dreaded traffic motor cyclist officers had class, let alone highly decorated military officers.
(COMMENT)

No country is prefect. Certainly Iran was not perfect prior to the Ayatollah Khomeini. The Shah had many faults - as do many leaders. And, the Iranian people made a choice. Today, under the rule of the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei, the Iranian people enjoy the the freedom of choice they made in 1979. It is the nation they wanted. They are very proud of and happy with the improvements they have made under the current dictatorship.

We should not criticize the Iranian for making their choice. That is what freedom is all about - choice. The Grand Ayatollah Khomeini was the first step in the larger Islamic revolution that is yet to come. I am sure that all the Iranians are looking forward to completely shedding that last vestiges of their once glorious heritage as Persians. The Iranian of today, as a people, appreciate the reputation their country has in the eyes of their Persian Gulf neighbors. Grand Ayatollah Khamenei, a descendent in the line of Ali ibn Abi Talib of Mecca, is continuing the change and reenforcing the reputation they hold.

We, as Americans, should be happy for the Iranians that support and protect the leadership of the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei. It is what they wanted and fought to bring forward.

Most Respectfully - Admittedly with some Sarcasm,
R

Last edited:
I call bullshit!

Really? Why?

No you claim to have also been to Kurdistan. Actually I call con-artist and professional liar. And credit me for observing how deceptive this ignorant Fatima Saigoon is. I want a medal or some type of recognition!

Yes, I have been to the Turkish parts of Kurdistan, for a story I was writing on Sanli Urfa (which is STUNNING, by the way). Diyabakir was fairly horrid, I thought, and felt very oppressive.

I probably have some pics, if you want to see them?

No country is prefect. Certainly Iran was not perfect prior to the Ayatollah Khomeini. The Shah had many faults - as do many leaders. And, the Iranian people made a choice. Today, under the rule of the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei, the Iranian people enjoy the the freedom of choice they made in 1979. It is the nation they wanted. They are very proud of and happy with the improvements they have made under the current dictatorship.

We should not criticize the Iranian for making their choice. That is what freedom is all about - choice. The Grand Ayatollah Khomeini way the first in the larger Islamic revolution that is yet to come. I am sure that all the Iranians are looking forward to completely shedding that last vestiges of their once glorious heritage as Persians. Grand Ayatollah Khamenei, a descendent in the line of Ali ibn Abi Talib of Mecca, is continuing the change.

No, we as Americans, should be happy for the Iranians that support and protect the leadership of the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei. It is what they wanted and fought to bring forward.

Most Respectfully - Admittedly with some Sarcasm,
R

Very good comments, Rocco!!

I totally agree about choice (and with sarcasm duly noted), but in most countries we also get to correct our choices every 4 or 5 years, and I hope Iranians get to un-choose theirs too.

It's interesting that many Jews initially supported the Revolution because of the Shah's anti-semitism - I doubt many feel they backed the right horse in that race.

Roudy -

I am never desperate to prove you wrong - you fairly much do it by yourself.

Again - the man is the Crown Prince. He can call himself Queen, Burgermeister or Fuhrer all he likes - he'll still be the Crown Prince.
You get hung up on such stupid technicalities. In the Persian culture a crown prince becomes King when the father dies. Now, because he is in exile and not actually ruling and not coronated blah blah blah he isn't king? Fine. Those that appreciated who his father was call him king because they want him to know that his people want him to be one, if and when there is a revolution in Iran again one day. So what is the fucking point? The Iranian current pro democracy movement also involves "Reza Shah", the name Iranians in the movement have given him. You mistakenly thought it was his father. Take it up with the Iranians in the pro democracy movement if you have a problem. What a thick headed numbskull!

Really? Why?

Yes, I have been to the Turkish parts of Kurdistan, for a story I was writing on Sanli Urfa (which is STUNNING, by the way). Diyabakir was fairly horrid, I thought, and felt very oppressive.

I probably have some pics, if you want to see them?
You mean occupied Kurdistan. You must be surprised that the Shah wasn't as barbaric as other leaders that slaughtered tens of thousands of Kurds like Sadam or the Turks did. Do your pics come with a pricing menu? Like this much for this long, that much in a tent, this much in a cave, etc.?

You get hung up on such stupid technicalities.!

They are called facts.

It is a fact that the man is not the king - he is the Crown Prince.

It is a fact that the Shah Snr bitterly oppressed the Kurds.

It is a fact that many Kurds supported the Islamic Revolution....at least initially.

It is a fact that under the Shah, Iran probably had the worst human rights record and the most infamous prison (Evian) and security service in the entire Middle East.

(I'm a journalist, remember - a single wrong fact means I get angry letters from California, and a terse note from my editor.)

You must be surprised that the Shah wasn't as barbaric as other leaders that slaughtered tens of thousands of Kurds like Sadam or the Turks did.

At the end of the Second World War, Kurds in northern Iran briefly set up their own state, the Mahabad Republic, which offered them a brief taste of freedom. But the government in Tehran soon crushed this experiment, with the backing of the U.S. and Britain. Qadhi Muhammad the republic's elected president, was publicly hanged along with several other Kurdish leaders.

The Betrayal of the Kurds

The Shah may not have killed tens of thousands of Kurds, Roudy, but he was hardly their ally.

btw. I totally support the concept of a Kurdish nation, with the capital city in Diyabakir. But it will never happen.

Forum List

Back