water in scrambled eggs

Yep, water is better. Saw this on an Anthony Bourdain show a few years ago, and have been doing it this way ever since.

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to try that.

I was taught to throw a splash of milk in with the eggs. Presumably, I would think you'd get the same fluffy egg effect, although it does nothing (trust me on this) to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan...
i put some milk in as well.

I used to use milk, the Mrs. still prefers it. It makes the eggs a little creamy and smooth.

I switched to water decades ago. Milk burns.
The milk solids get bitter when they burn. The same thing with regular butter. Clarified butter or ghee can give your scrambled eggs that buttery goodness but has a higher smoke point (~450 degrees) than milk or regular butter.

If you use milk you have to cook them slow on very low heat so you don't burn them. But usually I make scrambled eggs in the morning when I'm really hungry. My stomach doesn't want to wait that long.

So you drink the cold water?

I was talking to a chef buddy of mine last night and asked him about this. He said that you shouldn't season the eggs (salt, pepper, etc) until after the eggs are cooked. He did say, though, that water's a better choice than milk...

True...
I have noticed that pepper seems to clump up when scrambling raw eggs, especially if they are cold. Perhaps it's a static electricity thing.

Now that you mention it, I think it's probably better to add the pepper after the eggs are already cooked.

I put it in a glass not in my scrambled eggs. I like ice cold milk with my eggs, so I also put it in the freezer.

When I make scrambled eggs I just scramble them with a fork and some salt, pepper, butter and water. That's just the way I like them. The water just makes them cook better.

I was thinking about raising some chickens because fresh eggs taste better than the grocery store eggs and I looked into the city regulations. In the city I can have up to 6 live hens, but roosters are strictly forbidden. And I don't really want to deal with all the chicken shit.
Cock free zone ?
Wanna have some fun?
Make a womens bathroom sign and hang it under " Welcome to" on the outskirts of town.
The fun part cums when you 'splain it to peepz. ;)

In my experience as long as you cook the eggs right they fluff up on their own with no need to add anything.

Forum List

Back