water in scrambled eggs

Cooking tip: Mix the eggs in a bowl and add a little bit of water before you dump them in the frying pan. When the water steams up it sort of fluffs up the eggs. And nothing sticks to the pan.

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to try that.

I was taught to throw a splash of milk in with the eggs. Presumably, I would think you'd get the same fluffy egg effect, although it does nothing (trust me on this) to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan...

I was taught to throw a splash of milk in with the eggs. Presumably, I would think you'd get the same fluffy egg effect, although it does nothing (trust me on this) to keep the eggs from sticking to the pan...
I always put a little bit of milk in my scrambled eggs, but then a professional cook taught me the trick of just mixing a little bit of water instead of milk.

You would think that since milk is mostly water, it would not be much of a difference.

But it works.

Try it the next time you make some scrambled eggs.

I always put a little bit of milk in my scrambled eggs, but then a professional cook taught me the trick of just mixing a little bit of water instead of milk.

You would think that since milk is mostly water, it would not be much of a difference.

But it works.

Thanks will do.

But it works.

Just talked to my wife and she said, "Actually, I just started doing that." referring to adding water. Who knew--I don't cook breakfast as a rule. LOL Thanks.

But it works.

I definitely will.

So, you're not using milk at all now?

Cooking tip: Mix the eggs in a bowl and add a little bit of water before you dump them in the frying pan. When the water steams up it sort of fluffs up the eggs. And nothing sticks to the pan.
Also a little milk will do the same thing.

I used to use milk, the Mrs. still prefers it. It makes the eggs a little creamy and smooth.

I switched to water decades ago. Milk burns.

I dont add anything to my scrambled eggs.
I just cook them on low heat and only cook them about 50 or 60% or so.
Absolutely perfect that way, IMO.

I only add water when making omelettes because the eggs are a little runnier that way. It's a better consistency for folding the omelettes.

At least that's the way it seems to me.

I definitely will.

So, you're not using milk at all now?
I put it in a glass not in my scrambled eggs. I like ice cold milk with my eggs, so I also put it in the freezer.

When I make scrambled eggs I just scramble them with a fork and some salt, pepper, butter and water. That's just the way I like them. The water just makes them cook better.

I was thinking about raising some chickens because fresh eggs taste better than the grocery store eggs and I looked into the city regulations. In the city I can have up to 6 live hens, but roosters are strictly forbidden. And I don't really want to deal with all the chicken shit.

Last edited:
I put it in a glass not in my scrambled eggs. I like ice cold milk with my eggs, so I also put it in the freezer.

So you drink the cold water?

When I make scrambled eggs I just scramble them with a fork and some salt, pepper, butter and water. That's just the way I like them. The water just makes them cook better.

I was talking to a chef buddy of mine last night and asked him about this. He said that you shouldn't season the eggs (salt, pepper, etc) until after the eggs are cooked. He did say, though, that water's a better choice than milk...

I was thinking about raising some chickens because fresh eggs taste better than the grocery store eggs and I looked into the city regulations. In the city I can have up to 6 live hens, but roosters are strictly forbidden. And I don't really want to deal with all the chicken shit.

True...

But it works.

I always use whole cream, and an electric hand mixer. Mine fluff up great. But imma give your method a shot, and see what happens...

Maybe you just need to let the pan heat up a little more before you put the eggs in there. Professional cooks cook dozens or hundreds of eggs every morning without them getting eggs stuck on their griddle or pans. I think it's the steam from the water that makes the difference.

No. I put the milk in the freezer before I cook the eggs. I mix the water into the eggs. Not a lot, just a little bit. Maybe a teaspoon or so per egg at the most.

I just like a glass of cold milk with my scrambled eggs.

Ah, gotcha'.

I'm more of an orange juice kinda' guy...

Ah, gotcha'.

I'm more of an orange juice kinda' guy...
Orange juice is a good source of vitamin C. If I'm in a hurry in the morning I'll have a glass of orange juice too to make sure I'm getting enough vitamin C. It's one of those water soluble vitamins that you should get in your diet every single day.

Another good source of vitamin C is potatoes. And usually when I make eggs I also make home fried potatoes too. So that covers the vitamin C need. But if I don't have time to cook home fries I'll slam a big glass of orange juice with my breakfast.

Forum List

Back