Warmest March on record according to the Japanese Meteorological Agency

so they radiate to infinity?

Bodies over 0K radiate. All the time. It's how we can tell their temperature.
what does that IR off the wall do though? What is it's purpose?

what does that IR off the wall do though?

It moves thru the room. Absorbed by the air, an object in the room or another wall.

What is it's purpose?

IR has no purpose. No intelligence. It doesn't "see" the objects in the room.
It moves thru the room. Absorbed by the air, an object in the room or another wall.

If it's absorbed by the air, then why doesn't it get hotter?

The IR that hit the wall is from the air. The IR that hits the air is from the wall.
No new energy source, the temp of everything stays the same.
so if I had a infrared meter and pointed it at the wall to take a reading, would the wall reflect the infrared wave back or does the IR matter that was emitted reflect it back?

The IR that hit the wall is from the air. The IR that hits the air is from the wall.
why would the emitted IR be absorbed by the air if they are the same temperature?

why would the emitted IR be absorbed by the air if they are the same temperature?

Matter absorbs energy that hits it.

why wouldn't the emitted matter absorb?

All matter absorbs. All matter, above 0K, emits.
so it emits sucks up more emits more sucks up more emits more, to infinite then?

Yup.

Bodies over 0K radiate. All the time. It's how we can tell their temperature.

What is it's purpose?

so if I had a infrared meter and pointed it at the wall to take a reading, would the wall reflect the infrared wave back or does the IR matter that was emitted reflect it back?

AFAIK, the meter detects IR emitted by the wall you point it at.

Not sure why you are having a hard time with this...the resonance frequency is not CMB...CMB is not being captured by the radio telescope...a weak resonance frequency is being captured and interpolated into CMB which could not be captured by the radio telescope.

That's wrong. The entire CMB BB energy is hitting the maser. The maser amplifies one narrow band of one of the BB radiation frequencies at a time. You are still confusing the CMB input to the maser output.

I am not having trouble with this...I understand that the 2.75K radiation is not hitting the dish....a resonance signal is hitting the dish and being amplified into a signal that can then be interpolated into the 2.75K signal.

That is totally wrong! When the CMB hits the dish how can it possibly be a "resonance frequency" when it hasn't even reflected to the maser yet! All frequencies hit the dish. The maser amplifies just one of them after the fact. You have cause and effect turned around.

It is a clear example of getting a signal that can not be received by the telescope...a resonance signal that can be picked up being amplified and vi a mathematical model interpreted into the signal (artificially) that is to weak to be actually received.
You have an amazing incapability for understanding the simplest things. Let me try to make it simpler.

A radio telescope antenna picks up a band of wavelengths. (BB spectrum) and transfers it to a tuned amplifier whose tuning can be changed to select a very small segment of wavelengths (one specific BB sample).

An FM radio antenna picks up a band of wavelengths (several stations), transfers it to a tuned amplifier whose tuning can be changed to select a very small segment of wavelengths (one station).

The concepts are exactly the same, albeit with different technologies. It can't be made simpler than that.

Any electrical engineer will tell you that an FM antenna sticking out of your car receives a wide band of EM waves, and not a “resonance frequency”.

You are continually coming up with non-scientific terms or concepts that you don't clearly define. If you disagree, you will have to clearly define exactly what is the “resonance frequency” the CMB is supposedly sending and how it differs from black body radiation.
ok, finally ready to discuss. Had to think about this one a while. I was thinking of radar/ speed guns and how doppler works to tell the speed of an object. So, does an object reflect anything that would allow a radar gun to detect it's speed, or does the object reflect back a wave at a different frequency? According to wikipedia, at a different frequency and that reflected wave form is converted to a miles per hour reading.

So, how does a infrared meter work, wouldn't it work in a similar manner looking for a wave form back and convert to a temperature? IMO, the only way the IR gun can read is on a returned signal, so then you'd be telling me that emitted IR would have mass to cause a bounce back. I don't accept that. The wave from the meter's transmitter has to bounce off a target object and that returned wave is calculated in order to produce a temperature.
I agree with your understanding of the radar/speed gun. It is an active device. It sends and receives a signal.

An infrared meter does not work the same way. It is a passive device. It only receives signals and amplifies them so that they are large enough to be used; very similar to an FM radio. The bouncing that I was referring to is incoming cosmic radiation hitting a curved dish that focuses the incoming waves on a detector. That is very similar to a parabolic dish used to pick up TV shows from a satellite.
1400448957000-Direct-tv-sattelite-dish.jpg

Incoming waves hit the dish and are focused onto the detector sticking out. Radiation does not need mass to reflect.
So I have a problem with that answer. how does it know what you want to know the heat of if you don't highlight it somehow?

From a meter description sheet I looked up:

"The pyrometer can be used in adverse conditions. It has a backlit LCD. The device has a visible laser to quickly and accurately target the area to be measured. This allows for measurements to be taken at certain distances if the object being measured it hot or difficult to access. The emissivity can be adjusted between 0.1 and 1, and covers 90% of possible measurements taken.
Please note that when measuring an object, the surface area being measured must be bigger than the surface area of the visible laser pointer. "

What is it's purpose?

why wouldn't it see the IR from the air?

so it emits sucks up more emits more sucks up more emits more, to infinite then?

Yup.
hmmm, that seems irrational. each time the emitted IR wave would be reduced correct? Wouldn't it eventually be so small it vanishes?

I use an IR gun, what we call it, it is a handheld device you hold like a gun, in looking for hydraulics that are bypassing. The IR comes from the hydraulic hoses or parts, not from any reflection. The air is far less dense, so radiates a very minor amount of heat. The device ignores the minor background intensity. Whether reading hot or cold temperatures. As has been stated, everything gives off some IR, and everything is being impacted by the same radiation. And everything seeks equilibrium.

What is it's purpose?

why wouldn't it see the IR from the air?

It would.

Yup.
hmmm, that seems irrational. each time the emitted IR wave would be reduced correct? Wouldn't it eventually be so small it vanishes?

Why would it be reduced?

Forum List

Back