Want!!!!

Suppressed weapons are as illegal as fully automatic weapons. A FFL (federal firearms license) isn't good enough. You can only "legally" own one if you submit to a federal background check and pay a substantial (transfer) tax. The permit is only good for possession. You can't sell it except to someone else who is willing to go through the procedure and you can't take it to a range. There are a ton of federal, state and local regulations regarding firing the damn thing. It ain't worth it.

"Legality

ARE SILENCERS LEGAL?
In most states, yes. Individuals, Corporations, and Trusts can legally own silencers in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

IS IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN THE NECESSARY PAPERWORK (FORM 4) TO LEGALLY OWN A SILENCER?
No. It is a relatively simple process to submit Form 4 applications to own a silencer. Typically, it is no more involved than obtaining a concealed firearm permit in most U.S. states. The typical process includes submitting two simple forms, two sets of fingerprint cards, two passport photos, a citizenship declaration form, and a signature from a chief law enforcement officer in your home jurisdiction. Check with your local Silencerco dealer for more information or regional information.

MY LOCAL CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WON’T SIGN MY FORM 4. WHAT CAN I DO?
You can process a Form 4 without a chief law enforcement officer’s signature by means of a Firearms Trust. There are many attorneys who have vast experience with this type of trust, and it is also a relatively simple legal process. Your local Silencerco dealer should be able to point you in the right direction. If not, you can always call us for assistance.

DO I GIVE UP ANY RIGHTS BY OWNING THE SILENCER, SUCH AS SEARCH AND SEIZURE RIGHTS?
No. You do not give up your guaranteed rights in any regard. You are simply the registered owner of an NFA item.

DOES OWNING A SILENCER PUT ME ON A GOVERNMENT “LIST”?
You will be the “registered owner” of that silencer, which is recorded on a “list.” But remember, you have a social security number, which is a “list”; you are registered to vote, which is a “list”; you pay your taxes, which is a controlled “list.” From your birth, the government has had ways of identifying you. So relax, take a deep breath, and exercise your right to buy a silencer.

CAN I SELL MY SILENCER AFTER I BUY IT, OR AM I STUCK WITH IT FOREVER?
Yes. You can sell it, but the transfer must be done in accordance with all regulations.

CAN I TAKE MY SILENCER ACROSS STATE LINES?
Yes, if the state you are traveling through is a suppressor legal state. Other ATF regulations require a temporary permit for machine guns or short barrel rifles to travel across state lines.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO DO THE PAPERWORK?
It varies based on ATF NFA branch workload, but it can take as long as 9-12 months.

DO I HAVE TO HAVE A CLASS III TO OWN A SILENCER?
No. A license is only required to be actively involved in the reselling of silencers for profit.

HOW MUCH IS THE TAX STAMP?
$200 for each suppressor.

ARE THERE ANY RECURRING FEES?
No. You pay a one-time $200 Transfer tax."

Suppressed weapons are as illegal as fully automatic weapons. A FFL (federal firearms license) isn't good enough. You can only "legally" own one if you submit to a federal background check and pay a substantial (transfer) tax. The permit is only good for possession. You can't sell it except to someone else who is willing to go through the procedure and you can't take it to a range. There are a ton of federal, state and local regulations regarding firing the damn thing. It ain't worth it.
Actually that is not true you can legally own both suppressors and select fire weapons. You can register them in your own name or do as most people do and set up a trust and have the weapons registered to the trust. That way you can share them with family or a group of guys that want to go in together.

There are a few more hoops to jump and the $200 tax. Going the route of the trust is the easiest as it avoids the fingerprint cards and the sign off from the Chief LEO in your area. If you already own a corporation you can also use it for the weapons and save the cost associated with setting up a trust

Last edited:

Forum List

Back