Wales has banned parents from stopping their children learning about sex, religion and LGBT people

Wales has banned parents from stopping their children learning about sex, religion and LGBT people

Wales has removed the rights of parents to prevent their children from learning about different types of relationships.

Parents have long had the right to withdraw children from relationship and sexuality education (RSE) and religious education (RE), but Welsh education minister Kirsty Williams announced on Tuesday that parents will no longer be permitted to deny their kids access to teaching about relationships and different religions.

Very proud Welshman here. We will have a more tolerant and civil society.

Tolerance and civility at the muzzle of the government gun.

Do you morons actually try to be Orwellian or does it just come naturally?
Where is the gun ? These proposals have been well received. I wish we had received information like this when I was in school. Our sex education was limited and our religious education was deadly dull.

All government force comes from the muzzle of a gun.

Wales has removed the rights of parents to prevent their children from learning about different types of relationships.

Parents have long had the right to withdraw children from relationship and sexuality education (RSE) and religious education (RE), but Welsh education minister Kirsty Williams announced on Tuesday that parents will no longer be permitted to deny their kids access to teaching about relationships and different religions.

I agree with you that the move to educate children , if you are going to try to educate them about sex/relationships , should include all the different types of human relationships that there are and do believe it will lead to a more understanding and thus more tolerant situation. I don't understand why parents would want their children to be ignorant of such an important aspect of life itself and their lives in particular. Well in Wales !!
The hate that you see on these forums is present across the world, albeit in a diminishing form. Tolerance, education and an end to homophobia should come from this. Of course, the parents have other options if it is that important to them.
Tolerance is not acceptance.
You can never force acceptance of any ideology. Biggest lesson humanity still hasn't learned.
One thing to live and let live, a whole other thing when you try to enforce a narrative.

Where is the gun ? These proposals have been well received. I wish we had received information like this when I was in school. Our sex education was limited and our religious education was deadly dull.

That sounds like a US issue.

Pretty intolerant society that does not allow a parent to choose how they introduce sexuality and religion into their own children's lives.
Sad that you have no freedom of choice.
The parents have choices. They can home school for example.

No they don't because if they are not qualified to home school in certain subjects then it would be a disservice to their children. Parents look out for what is best for their children, the fact the state wants to take away that right is wrong.

I agree with you that the move to educate children , if you are going to try to educate them about sex/relationships , should include all the different types of human relationships that there are and do believe it will lead to a more understanding and thus more tolerant situation. I don't understand why parents would want their children to be ignorant of such an important aspect of life itself and their lives in particular. Well in Wales !!
The hate that you see on these forums is present across the world, albeit in a diminishing form. Tolerance, education and an end to homophobia should come from this. Of course, the parents have other options if it is that important to them.
You can never force acceptance of any ideology. Biggest lesson humanity still hasn't learned.
One thing to live and let live, a whole other thing when you try to enforce a narrative.
By explaining different religions and different lifestyles we promote tolerance. People dont need to buy into it if they are that way inclined.
We ere not taught anything about other religions and nothing about sexuality outside of the mechanical functions of having sex. That created a population with limited knowledge and unlimited prejudice.
The current generation has a better understanding of these things because they have been de-mystified.

That sounds like a US issue.

it's a metaphor.

Pretty intolerant society that does not allow a parent to choose how they introduce sexuality and religion into their own children's lives.

No they don't because if they are not qualified to home school in certain subjects then it would be a disservice to their children. Parents look out for what is best for their children, the fact the state wants to take away that right is wrong.
Independent schools do not have to follow the national curriculum and faith schools can teach their own religion to the exclusion of others,

Independent schools do not have to follow the national curriculum and faith schools can teach their own religion to the exclusion of others,

How many can afford those schools in your country? So if you are poor, you are not allowed a choice? Seems a like a heavy handed government forcing their morals, which is taking away basic freedoms.

How many can afford those schools in your country? So if you are poor, you are not allowed a choice? Seems a like a heavy handed government forcing their morals, which is taking away basic freedoms.
I get the point you are making.But there are no laws to stop these people banding together to set up their own schools.

I couldnt state it as a fact but I believe that much of this is a backlash against the Birmingham protests over the past few years. Muslim parents not wanting their kids to learn about alternate lifestyles or religions. As a society we cannot subsidise division and hate. They have choices, just dont expect us to pay for them.

I get the point you are making.But there are no laws to stop these people banding together to set up their own schools.

I couldnt state it as a fact but I believe that much of this is a backlash against the Birmingham protests over the past few years. Muslim parents not wanting their kids to learn about alternate lifestyles or religions. As a society we cannot subsidise division and hate. They have choices, just dont expect us to pay for them.

You are paying for them. Your government is setting up a program to teach others about religion and sex. Who pays for that? That fact that you have freedom in the name of diversity doesn't mean you have freedom. My daughter has opted out on these programs for her daughters, she is very open and honest with her daughters and will answer their questions at the appropriate time. I did the same with my children and my parents the same with me. We didn't need government intervention or ideas.

And does the education act of 1870 include sex education ?
We have always had sex education.

Link please.
Oh fuck off you regressive twat. We had sex education 50 years ago when I was in school. Did you not have an education ?

So no link.

And your so-called Education act was 150 years ago.

I asked if that included sex education...since you invoked it.

Does it.
How can it be "so called" when it exists? There is a website called Google. If you type in Education Act 1870 you will see that it exists and has been updated many times over the past 150 years. If you actually want to discuss this topic crack on. But please leave the schoolboy antics in the flame zone.

You still have not addressed the question: Was sex education called out in the act.

There is a reason the human species has such a long period of childhood. It's because we need it. The age of innocence is a very important period in that development as it is that stage when children pursue their own interests and develop a confident sense of self as a result.

I have absolutely no problem with gay rights. If people identify as a gender different from their own, that's no skin off my teeth. If two adults of any gender wish to indulge in various sexual practices upon which they agree mutually, I have no problem with it.

What I DO have a problem with is the ruining of the age of innocence with increasingly adult themes. The bar for introducing sexual themes keeps getting younger and younger and this blatant sexualization of children is not a response to children's natural curiosity at various ages conducted for the children's sake, but a response to pressure from outside to do so.

This is an act of indoctrination rather than education and the sexualization of children at a time before they are ready for it just produces a bunch of messed up kids.

I agree that tolerance doesn't mean acceptance but it is the point of departure for it imo

There's far more chance of the " live and let live " ethos you seem to promote ( and I try to live by that too btw ) than with a increased tolerance of the differences of others than the intolerance that we have seen where homosexuality was an actual punishable offence.

There is a reason the human species has such a long period of childhood. It's because we need it. The age of innocence is a very important period in that development as it is that stage when children pursue their own interests and develop a confident sense of self as a result.

I have absolutely no problem with gay rights. If people identify as a gender different from their own, that's no skin off my teeth. If two adults of any gender wish to indulge in various sexual practices upon which they agree mutually, I have no problem with it.

What I DO have a problem with is the ruining of the age of innocence with increasingly adult themes. The bar for introducing sexual themes keeps getting younger and younger and this blatant sexualization of children is not a response to children's natural curiosity at various ages conducted for the children's sake, but a response to pressure from outside to do so.

This is an act of indoctrination rather than education and the sexualization of children at a time before they are ready for it just produces a bunch of messed up kids.
There will not be any secondary themes until the kids are in secondary school. That is over the age of 11.

The new relationships and sexuality education curriculum would be drawn up over the next two years, Williams said. It would encompass primary school pupils learning about family relationships, friendships and kindness up to the age of seven, followed by lessons on gender equality, respectful relationships and online safety between the ages of seven and 11.

At secondary school the lessons are to include sexuality, consent, rights and equity, as well as reproduction, with lessons on sexual health following at an “appropriate stage,” the Welsh government said.

So to break that down.

Up to the age of 7 - family relationships, friendships and kindness

Up to the age of 11 - gender equality, respectful relationships and online safety

Over the age of 11 - sexuality, consent, rights and equity, as well as reproduction, with lessons on sexual health following at an “appropriate stage,”

I dont see anything controversial in this. It is age appropriate and I would suggest much needed. We live in a complex age where youngsters are preyed upon and teenage pregnancies are rife. Doing nothing doesnt seem to be an option.

Doesn't sound like you're tolerant at all. What part of "no longer permitted to...." equates to "tolerant"?

Doesn't sound like you're tolerant at all. What part of "no longer permitted to...." equates to "tolerant"?
Not tolerating homophobia or sectarian hatred is a pretty good starting point for a society.

Not tolerating homophobia or sectarian hatred is a pretty good starting point for a society.

Stamp out intolerance now!!

Forum List

Back