WA state 7th to allow gay marriage........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Gov. Chris Gregoire has signed into law a bill that legalizes gay marriage in Washington state, making it the nation's seventh to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.

It's a historic moment, but same-sex couples can't walk down the aisle just yet.

The law takes effect June 7, but opponents are already mounting challenges on multiple fronts.

Opponents planned to file a challenge Monday that could put the law on hold pending the outcome of a November vote.

Separately, an initiative was filed at the beginning of the session that opponents of gay marriage say could lead to the new law being overturned.

Gregoire signed the bill Monday morning. It passed the House on Wednesday, a week after Senate approval.

"We are thrilled," said Lisa M. Stone, executive director of Legal Voice, a nonprofit that advocates for gay and lesbian rights. "After amazing support from both the Senate and the House earlier this month, signing the marriage equality bill late this morning was the next step toward providing equal treatment for all loving and committed families."

U.S. News - Wash. governor signs gay marriage bill into law

I hope this keeps up.

Once again, conservatives were on the wrong side of history.

When will they learn?

Well, considering that the military now has gotten rid of DADT, in places where they can marry, many of them already have.

It's just a matter of time before those serving in the military start asking for married benefits like straights.

Won't be long (I think) before it's legal all over.

I can't imagine any other result. Banning it really comes down to the statement that rights are going to be denied to a certain segment of society based upon an inborn criteria (or for those who insist it's a choice....a choice that is not criminal). Last time I looked one of our nation's most precious principles was equal rights for everyone.While I imagine many of my Republican colleagues will howl at my position, I say "good for Washington and may it spread across the nation".

Well, considering that the military now has gotten rid of DADT, in places where they can marry, many of them already have.

It's just a matter of time before those serving in the military start asking for married benefits like straights.

And the great homecomings....

757831000.jpg

Well the "once again" part I might debate to be in error, but on this and this issue alone, I agree that Republicans are on the wrong side. We have always been the party of equal rights and indeed were founded to ensure an end to slavery. We were the driving forced behind the civil rights movement (not the Democrats as so many people erroneously believe). The GOP has always stood for equality in regards to such things. Our opposition to gay rights is a violation of the very principles upon which our party was founded.

Don't get excited now, Chris.....my support of your position will likely never happen again.

Well the "once again" part I might debate to be in error, but on this and this issue alone, I agree that Republicans are on the wrong side. We have always been the party of equal rights and indeed were founded to ensure an end to slavery. We were the driving forced behind the civil rights movement (not the Democrats as so many people erroneously believe). The GOP has always stood for equality in regards to such things. Our opposition to gay rights is a violation of the very principles upon which our party was founded.

Don't get excited now, Chris.....my support of your position will likely never happen again.

You are confusing Republicans with conservatives.

I said conservatives not Republicans. There's a difference.

You are confusing Republicans with conservatives.

I said conservatives not Republicans. There's a difference.

Point conceded.....shit...that's twice in one day. :eek:

My GOP was not founded to further equal rights. It was founded to protect economic opportunity for the white farmer and laborer from slave labor. That the GOP moved so quickly toward civil rights was because of the (1) evolution of Abraham Lincoln's sense of rightness about race relations, and (2) the Party's desire to create a permanent majority by making the southern states GOP through black male and scalaway/carpetbag white voters. One of my great great and so forth was engaged in a number of shoot outs in LA with the evil redeemers. He lost a number of relatives, but the family ended up being the righteous rain of wrath on the kluckers. They backed off eventually.

But to Trajan's point, I generally agree with him.

I can't imagine any other result. Banning it really comes down to the statement that rights are going to be denied to a certain segment of society based upon an inborn criteria (or for those who insist it's a choice....a choice that is not criminal). Last time I looked one of our nation's most precious principles was equal rights for everyone.While I imagine many of my Republican colleagues will howl at my position, I say "good for Washington and may it spread across the nation".

This is consistent with both conservative and republican ideology, before the advent of the bane of social conservatism and Christian fundamentalism. Those whom ‘howl’ are the aberration.

Consider also if only the other states would follow the 14th Amendment’s requirement to allow all citizens equal access to all laws, there’d be no need for the waste of time and money in Federal court on this and similar issues.

My GOP was not founded to further equal rights. It was founded to protect economic opportunity for the white farmer and laborer from slave labor. That the GOP moved so quickly toward civil rights was because of the (1) evolution of Abraham Lincoln's sense of rightness about race relations, and (2) the Party's desire to create a permanent majority by making the southern states GOP through black male and scalaway/carpetbag white voters. One of my great great and so forth was engaged in a number of shoot outs in LA with the evil redeemers. He lost a number of relatives, but the family ended up being the righteous rain of wrath on the kluckers. They backed off eventually.

I never said we were founded to create equal rights. I said we were founded to end slavery. Big difference. During the civil rights movement the GOP fought for equal rights. My father, for example, was steadfast in religion and conservative thought. He was also a Freedom Rider. It was the Democrats who were trying to lynch him for supporting equal rights.

Regardless, the point remains that historically (as CCJ points out and I did earlier) the GOP have historically been the ones who support equality while Democrats are the ones who fight to maintain discrimination and inequality. How the GOP ended up on the wrong side of this issue (at least in this Republican's opinion) is a mystery to me.....well....actually it's not. I know exactly why we came down on the side we did and I shake my head in disgust at the reason.

I never said we were founded to create equal rights. I said we were founded to end slavery. Big difference. During the civil rights movement the GOP fought for equal rights. My father, for example, was steadfast in religion and conservative thought. He was also a Freedom Rider. It was the Democrats who were trying to lynch him for supporting equal rights.

Regardless, the point remains that historically (as CCJ points out and I did earlier) the GOP have historically been the ones who support equality while Democrats are the ones who fight to maintain discrimination and inequality. How the GOP ended up on the wrong side of this issue (at least in this Republican's opinion) is a mystery to me.....well....actually it's not. I know exactly why we came down on the side we did and I shake my head in disgust at the reason.

Once again you are confusing GOP with conservative.

There is a difference.

Once again you are confusing GOP with conservative.

There is a difference.
Yes, it's a common mistake.

Forum List

Back