Voyage of the Dawn Treader

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I took my kids to see it...there was a basketball game so we were the only ones in the theater, which was pretty cool (though my daughter was miffed..."I brushed my hair and put on makeup and there's no one to see me???" She did try to put on makeup, but I washed it off before we left home, lol.)

Anyway, best dragon EVER....very cool. Little slow to start, but just when you're thinking "omg they've got 5 more lords to go, this is going to take FOREVER) things started picking up.

Kids loved it, we had fun..then on the way home my son hit my daughter in the head with a shoe.

The end.

I saw it last weekend. It was better than I was expecting. Useless Eustace was perfectly cast, and I was surprised at how they made him likable in the end. And yes, his dragon was awesome. Best ever? Nah. Toothless has him beat. ;)

I hope they continue to make these books into movies, because I know they haven't been super successful in theaters. But they are enjoyable films. Not as good as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but still good (and infinitely better than that Twilight shit).

If they do continue to make them, here's my preferred order:
Silver Chair (takes place right after Voyage, and Eustace returns at around the same age)
The Magician's Nephew (the prequel, has no recurring characters, and it gives the other actors time to age for their role in The Last Battle)
The Horse and His Boy (takes place during the time of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and only Edmund and Lucy appear during their reign over Narnia, and they are both young adults at this time, so the actors would need to be much older than they are now...if they don't make one into a movie, this would be my choice)
The Last Battle (all the old characters return, save Susan and Shasta and Bree from Horse and His Boy, and they are older than their roles in the previous books, it's the LAST battle, so it should be last)

• Banned
I saw it last weekend. It was better than I was expecting. Useless Eustace was perfectly cast, and I was surprised at how they made him likable in the end. And yes, his dragon was awesome. Best ever? Nah. Toothless has him beat. ;)

I hope they continue to make these books into movies, because I know they haven't been super successful in theaters. But they are enjoyable films. Not as good as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, but still good (and infinitely better than that Twilight shit).

If they do continue to make them, here's my preferred order:
Silver Chair (takes place right after Voyage, and Eustace returns at around the same age)
The Magician's Nephew (the prequel, has no recurring characters, and it gives the other actors time to age for their role in The Last Battle)
The Horse and His Boy (takes place during the time of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and only Edmund and Lucy appear during their reign over Narnia, and they are both young adults at this time, so the actors would need to be much older than they are now...if they don't make one into a movie, this would be my choice)
The Last Battle (all the old characters return, save Susan and Shasta and Bree from Horse and His Boy, and they are older than their roles in the previous books, it's the LAST battle, so it should be last)

I read all the narnia books every few years; they should make them in the order they are in the series.

We loved Eustace, too. I was impressed by how the nuances of his personality were portrayed; that can't be easy without employing narration from the book. The transformation that took place when he was a dragon was wonderful, you got a real sense of his internal changes; even the end when he is face to face with Aslan was spot on.

I took my kids to see it...there was a basketball game so we were the only ones in the theater, which was pretty cool (though my daughter was miffed..."I brushed my hair and put on makeup and there's no one to see me???" She did try to put on makeup, but I washed it off before we left home, lol.)

Anyway, best dragon EVER....very cool. Little slow to start, but just when you're thinking "omg they've got 5 more lords to go, this is going to take FOREVER) things started picking up.

Kids loved it, we had fun..then on the way home my son hit my daughter in the head with a shoe.

The end.

I love stories with happy endings.

Somebody just told me about a movie that I suspect might be very good for kids.

Percy and the Olympians

Apparently its an updated version of many of the classical Greek myths set in modern times.

The kids will be getting the point of many of these myths (their point has little to do with greek theology and much to do with how to be human) without having a clue that the story line is 3000 years old.

The end.

I love stories with happy endings.

Somebody just told me about a movie that I suspect might be very good for kids.

Percy and the Olympians

Apparently its an updated version of many of the classical Greek myths set in modern times.

The kids will be getting the point of many of these myths (their point has little to do with greek theology and much to do with how to be human) without having a clue that the story line is 3000 years old.

I've seen the movie, never read the book, but I heard the book and movie are completely different.

As for it being for kids? Maybe. It's really nothing like the Greek myths. It's more a mix of Harry Potter and Twilight in its stylization and story-telling.

they should make them in the order they are in the series.

They are already off, if you mean how the series has been published since the 1990's. Chronologically, The Magician's Nephew would have been first, and The Horse and His Boy would have been after The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. If you meant order of publication, then my list was pretty close. Magician's Nephew and Horse and His Boy were out of order, but for good reason. The actors playing Edmund and Lucy won't be old enough to portray their characters in Horse and His Boy if they were to make it after Silver Chair, which is why I suggest flipping the order.

We loved Eustace, too. I was impressed by how the nuances of his personality were portrayed; that can't be easy without employing narration from the book. The transformation that took place when he was a dragon was wonderful, you got a real sense of his internal changes; even the end when he is face to face with Aslan was spot on.

I missed some of the internal dialog that you got from the book. Eustace's realization that he was a dragon, that he wouldn't be able to communicate with his cousins, and that he was alone was marvelous. Also, he spent several days as a dragon before they found him in the book. In the movie, it was overnight. I know it had to be rushed for theatrical purposes, but it was still missed.

Forum List

Back