Archie, a Britbox docudrama of the life of Cary Grant

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
If you are expecting a biography that is a chronological story of the life of Cary Grant filled with new revelations about his life, you will be disappointed. Most of the series is done in flashbacks about his earlier life. After watching the first 2 episodes, I believe it is very factual but I did not find it very interesting. Jason Isaacs, who plays Grant looks a bit like him with makeup, however he is not very convincing.

The movie does not answer the question as whether he was gay or not. Dr. Mortimer Hartman, who treated Grant with LSD and other drugs said he did not believe Cary was homosexual because he was definably attracted to women but may have had some sexual encounters with men.

So far the series has not really touched on the conversion from Archibald Leach to Cary Grant. We do know that Leach patterned Cary Grant after Cary Lockhart, a roll he played on stage. Grant developed a brilliantly constructed persona, better than anything a studio marketing team could have developed. He was not just Cary Grant in the movies, he was Cary Grant in real life.

With his first movie contract, he was required to change his name. He was introduced to Hollywood as Cary Grant and from that point on Archibald Leach cease to exist. Grant was once asked by a reporter, "How do you prepared for a role. Grant replied, I learn my lines and walk through the scenes. The reporter said, "No, I mean how do you get into the character?" Grant reply, "I'm always in character. I'm Cary Grant."

From what I have seen so for I would get it 3 stars.

If you are expecting a biography that is a chronological story of the life of Cary Grant filled with new revelations about his life, you will be disappointed. Most of the series is done in flashbacks about his earlier life. After watching the first 2 episodes, I believe it is very factual but I did not find it very interesting. Jason Isaacs, who plays Grant looks a bit like him with makeup, however he is not very convincing.

The movie does not answer the question as whether he was gay or not. Dr. Mortimer Hartman, who treated Grant with LSD and other drugs said he did not believe Cary was homosexual because he was definably attracted to women but may have had some sexual encounters with men.

So far the series has not really touched on the conversion from Archibald Leach to Cary Grant. We do know that Leach patterned Cary Grant after Cary Lockhart, a roll he played on stage. Grant developed a brilliantly constructed persona, better than anything a studio marketing team could have developed. He was not just Cary Grant in the movies, he was Cary Grant in real life.

With his first movie contract, he was required to change his name. He was introduced to Hollywood as Cary Grant and from that point on Archibald Leach cease to exist. Grant was once asked by a reporter, "How do you prepared for a role. Grant replied, I learn my lines and walk through the scenes. The reporter said, "No, I mean how do you get into the character?" Grant reply, "I'm always in character. I'm Cary Grant."

Just another Man, who could of had any woman he wanted, yet, fell from grace by diddling with teenage boys. May he rot in hell...

Not gay.

There was a Man whom I might swap with , if, in some strange other Universe , I was offered the chance .
The Voice was on a "magic" frequency .

As an actor, good. As a human being, deeply flawed and at times a nightmare according to those around him.
He was nothing like his character at all. Physically abusive to both of his wives, never faithful and strikingly possessive and selfish.
There are many stories about him, ranging from sexually abusing his own sister, sex with young boys etc. But that is based solely on stories/rumors that are uncorroborated. His abuse of his wives has been repeated by family members. And his selfish, boorish attitude has been witnessed by many who told their stories after his death.

As an actor, good. As a human being, deeply flawed and at times a nightmare according to those around him.
He was nothing like his character at all. Physically abusive to both of his wives, never faithful and strikingly possessive and selfish.
There are many stories about him, ranging from sexually abusing his own sister, sex with young boys etc. But that is based solely on stories/rumors that are uncorroborated. His abuse of his wives has been repeated by family members. And his selfish, boorish attitude has been witnessed by many who told their stories after his death.
Link to any of that garbage, brainwashed functional moron hater dupe.... Change the damn channel for crying out loud from the damn gloom and doom hate channel....

You have been reading the MSM .
Inconsequential in topics like this but incredibly dangerous as an operating principle .
Poor gullibles like you just love swallowing anything you read .

You are no different from the brain goons who mentally masturbate over the MSM narrative for Oct 7th but then think that 50% of Gazaians starving is acceptable . Disgusting people .
Don't fall into the same trap .

Flawed, yes which is not surprising when you consider his childhood. He was raised in the squalors of Bristol where his only brother died when he was a child. His father committed his mother to mental asylum when he was eight and told him she died. Archie was deserted by his father and left in the care of his grandmother, who considered him burden and turned him out on the streets. At 14 he was expelled from school and jointed a vaudeville act and became self sufficient.

I think Grant describe himself better than anyone else when he said, "I pretended to become a certain type of man on screen and I became that man in life. I became Cary Grant . . . an athlete . . . a dream man . . . one who sails on yachts and gives expensive presents." But the truth is that Cary Grant never completely became that person, and all his long life the women who have loved him have - perhaps - loved only an image, an image of the world's most attractive man, an image he himself created and one which has possibly destroyed his hope for love.

IMHO, to wives, lovers, and friends, he was never Archie but the image he created which explains his failed marriages and his inability to cultivate close friendships.

BTW, Grant had no sister to abuse.

Last edited:
Flawed, yes which is not surprising when you consider his childhood. He was raised in the squalors of Bristol where his only brother died when he was a child. His father committed his mother to mental asylum when he was eight and told him she died. Archie was deserted by his father and left in the care of his grandmother, who considered him burden and turned him out on the streets. At 14 he was expelled from school and jointed a vaudeville act and became self sufficient.

I think Grant describe himself better than anyone else when he said, "I pretended to become a certain type of man on screen and I became that man in life. I became Cary Grant . . . an athlete . . . a dream man . . . one who sails on yachts and gives expensive presents." But the truth is that Cary Grant never completely became that person, and all his long life the women who have loved him have - perhaps - loved only an image, an image of the world's most attractive man, an image he himself created and one which has possibly destroyed his hope for love.

IMHO, to wives, lovers, and friends, he was never Archie but the image he created which explains his failed marriages and his inability to cultivate close friendships.

BTW, Grant had no sister to abuse.
Like I said - uncorroborated rumors.
I remembered seeing a documentary that talked about him abusing his wives, which has been corroborated by family members. And that his on screen persona was not at all who he was behind closed doors.

Today we have successful movie actors with literally tongue twisting names such as Zach Galifankius (spelling) who never had to change their names so it's hard to imagine a time when movie moguls had the power to force actors to change their names. One can't help but wonder if actors were forced to change their political and religious affiliation and did willingly. Hollywood managed to blame a single republican senator for the "blacklisting" they did to themselves when they thought they would lose money from employing commie writers.

Then why not just enjoy his acting and let his bad side rest in peace?

Today we have successful movie actors with literally tongue twisting names such as Zach Galifankius (spelling) who never had to change their names so it's hard to imagine a time when movie moguls had the power to force actors to change their names. One can't help but wonder if actors were forced to change their political and religious affiliation and did willingly. Hollywood managed to blame a single republican senator for the "blacklisting" they did to themselves when they thought they would lose money from employing commie writers.
Today performers choose tongue twister names to be distinctive, same reason they dress and act weird. They want to be noticed

Back when Cary Grant was popular, studios insisted that names be short and snappy so they would be easily remembered. So Archibald Leach becomes Cary Grant, Lucille LeSueur became Joan Crawford, Maurice Joseph Micklewhite became Michael Caine, Neta-Lee Hershlag became Natalie Portman, Marion Morrison became John Wayne, etc....

I have a couple of bios of Cary....

I know all I have to know about his life and movies etc....;)

Cary and Randolph Scott

1704251875030.png

1704252030264.png

1704252480108.png

Then why not just enjoy his acting and let his bad side rest in peace?
According to his analyst, he created a character and tried to become that character on and off the screen but in reality he was still Archie Leach. He was never able to create the psyche of Cary Grant which is why he was unfilled in most of what did in life. It is really pretty sad.

I seriously doubt that Cary Grant was Gay because he liked women too much.

You think whatever you want.

I just am telling you what I read from people who knew him back then when he shared his life with Randolph Scott.

Years after that he apparently become bisexual married and had a daughter.

One way or another I don't give a shit.

You think whatever you want.

I just am telling you what I read from people who knew him back then when he shared his life with Randolph Scott.

Years after that he apparently become bisexual married and had a daughter.

One way or another I don't give a shit.
I don't know who you are referring to. However two people who knew him best, his analyst and Dyan Cannon who fathered his child do not agree. His psychoanalyst Mortimer Hartman said, "I don't know if Cary actually had sex with any men but I can assure you he has had far more sex with women than men.

Forum List

Back