Verse of the Day

But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats.
1 Peter 3:14

This thread is to post one verse a day and let the readers receive it as a blessing for that day, pray about it, discuss it with others if you wish. Also feel free to post your own verse of the day here!

Today's verse: ““I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

- John 15:5

got me there------as far as I understand-----a VINE---grows as a VINE----it is all vine. I think. If the verse refers to a vine growing UPON branches of another plant-----I guess that makes sense ----sorta. John wrote the book of revulsions and is the name is thought ---in reference to the books attributed to "JOHN" ---to be more like a nom de plume--- for many writers------ ???

But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don't worry or be afraid of their threats.

If I remember correctly----Peter was quite macho---rock man

Peter was as human as you and I, Rosie, and when Christ was crucified, he became intimidated by the mob that had crucified Christ. He thought he'd be next. So he denied Christ. Three times. Which the LORD already told him he would do before He went to the cross. So when the LORD rose on the third day and later appeared to Peter - he asked him three times - do you love me? On the third time, Jesus replied Feed my Sheep. And upon that Rock - Peter - the church was built. Not the Roman Church that claims Peter (who was married by the way - Jesus healed his mother in law - the bible warns about false preachers who forbid marriage - such as the RCC has a history of) but the real church which is the body of Christ. The Body of Christ is the true church which is why Jesus said he would raise that temple up in three days. What temple? The body of believers is the temple of the Holy Spirit. That's what He meant although at the time the Jews didn't understand what he meant) So yes, Peter's name means, The Rock. The name Peter is a Greek name. Not Hebrew. Interesting fact - Peter was called to preach to the Jews while Paul the apostle was called to preach to the Gentiles. The Romans must have missed that little detail. Ya think?

One more interesting fact - when a person converts to Judaism - they have to ask 3 times to the Rabbi before he will go forward with the conversion - because it is a sign that they are sincere in their desire to come to G-d. A Jewish friend of mine told me about that and said that is why she believes that Jesus asked Peter three times. It is how it was done by the Rabbi's. Whether this is still done today - I do not know. I should ask one of the Rabbis at United With Israel next time I get the chance.

Facing all that you fear will free you from yourself...

as a kid-----I feared big piles of green peas------and big bushels of bitter greens called "chicory"----I think some people call it
FRISEE

It's a lot of work. I almost fainted after picking and shucking over 2 bushels of butter beans years ago. When I was finished my friend who survived the depression said to me, you're not finished. You have to lay those out on a sheet, put a fan on them and cool them down!

Cool them down? I was close to fainting from the heat that day! Add to this she informed me after they "cooled down" ( Imagine that Georgia Southern Drawl when saying coool down.....) she said I had to par boil (that's pah boil in Southern language) them and bag them individually to freeze. That was my last time for butter beans. I let my husband do the purple hall peas now and I buy my butter beans in a can. Seriously. Those are not easy to shuck and prepare. A lot of work!

Peter was as human as you and I, Rosie, and when Christ was crucified, he became intimidated by the mob that had crucified Christ. He thought he'd be next. So he denied Christ. Three times. Which the LORD already told him he would do before He went to the cross. So when the LORD rose on the third day and later appeared to Peter - he asked him three times - do you love me? On the third time, Jesus replied Feed my Sheep. And upon that Rock - Peter - the church was built. Not the Roman Church that claims Peter (who was married by the way - Jesus healed his mother in law - the bible warns about false preachers who forbid marriage - such as the RCC has a history of) but the real church which is the body of Christ. The Body of Christ is the true church which is why Jesus said he would raise that temple up in three days. What temple? The body of believers is the temple of the Holy Spirit. That's what He meant although at the time the Jews didn't understand what he meant) So yes, Peter's name means, The Rock. The name Peter is a Greek name. Not Hebrew. Interesting fact - Peter was called to preach to the Jews while Paul the apostle was called to preach to the Gentiles. The Romans must have missed that little detail. Ya think?

One more interesting fact - when a person converts to Judaism - they have to ask 3 times to the Rabbi before he will go forward with the conversion - because it is a sign that they are sincere in their desire to come to G-d. A Jewish friend of mine told me about that and said that is why she believes that Jesus asked Peter three times. It is how it was done by the Rabbi's. Whether this is still done today - I do not know. I should ask one of the Rabbis at United With Israel next time I get the chance.

I have no doubt that Peter was a person------the important story I heard about him is that he was crucified in Rome---and
he, himself, decided to be crucified ---upside down. That's why I call him macho.-----it was a kind of act of "up yours"
As to the ask three times (or knock three times ---on the
radiator---if you love me~~~~la la ) Yes ---they still do that
"no you can't" thing and require a three times persistence----sheeeeeeesh!!! Also the name PETER means "rock"---I think in Greek. Here is another tiny factoid------EVAN --the name--is Hebrew for rock that makes EBENEZER SCROOGE-------eben --rock ezer --something like 'helper'
----
the rock which helps (????) Scrooge. JOHN---is
YOCHANAN---it means ----"G-d's Grace"-------which would
be a good nom de plume for the book of revulsions---diverts
your mind from the SEVEN HEADED MONSTER with THE
WHORE ON TOP

as a kid-----I feared big piles of green peas------and big bushels of bitter greens called "chicory"----I think some people call it
FRISEE

It's a lot of work. I almost fainted after picking and shucking over 2 bushels of butter beans years ago. When I was finished my friend who survived the depression said to me, you're not finished. You have to lay those out on a sheet, put a fan on them and cool them down!

Cool them down? I was close to fainting from the heat that day! Add to this she informed me after they "cooled down" ( Imagine that Georgia Southern Drawl when saying coool down.....) she said I had to par boil (that's pah boil in Southern language) them and bag them individually to freeze. That was my last time for butter beans. I let my husband do the purple hall peas now and I buy my butter beans in a can. Seriously. Those are not easy to shuck and prepare. A lot of work!

I grew up in the north east------in a state KNOWN for its tomatoes and CORN------the only thing we shuck is corn---
not at all difficult. To be honest----I have no idea what a
BUTTER BEAN IS-------one day I did figure it out-----but then forgot------it is some species of kidney bean?

I have no doubt that Peter was a person------the important story I heard about him is that he was crucified in Rome---and
he, himself, decided to be crucified ---upside down. That's why I call him macho.-----it was a kind of act of "up yours"
"no you can't" thing and require a three times persistence----sheeeeeeesh!!! Also the name PETER means "rock"---I think in Greek. Here is another tiny factoid------EVAN --the name--is Hebrew for rock that makes EBENEZER SCROOGE-------eben --rock ezer --something like 'helper'
----
WHORE ON TOP

I am of the opinion that only you could explain the latter with such expression but The Revelation of Christ - last book of the bible - should not revulse you, Rosie. Although with the Roman church doing their level best to destroy any vestige of trust you may have had by the Inquisitions, the Vatican assisted holocaust and aftermath of Jesuits hiding the Nazis and assisting their fleeing to Argentina - such as Eichmann was able to do - It is understandable that there would be bitterness or anger but how can I know the depth of it when I was not there - did not suffer the plight of the Jews? I can feel great empathy but we both know it has effected you personally having been a direct assault on your people - to wipe them off the face of the earth - to which I say with every Jew upon the face of the earth - NEVER AGAIN. The aftermath has been perhaps a greater sorrow - knowing that today many citizens of Europe feign ignorance of the death camps and roundup of the Jews. How would that be possible when they were grabbing their personal homes, furnishings as quickly as they were taken away? While there isn't any doubt shame is what prevents them can they not even bear that much as they were not willing to lay their lives down for the Jewish people and save as many as they could? I think it would be the least one would be able to do. Afterall, G-d is quite aware of who knew what and it is all coming out in the end - like one big movie screen playing - This Was Your Life!

Let me rewind - I'm going backwards today - think Michael Jackson's moonwalk - reading not dancing here - Peter did not choose to hang upside down on the cross when they crucified him as an act of defiance - up yours - attitude but out of one of deep humility because he said he was not worthy to be hung right side up as Jesus Christ was - that was his reason in requesting to be hung upside down.

Ask three times is still done to this very day then - so this means that there was Hebrew significance to Jesus Christ asking Peter three times, Peter, do you love me? Interesting how interconnected things are with Jesus and the Rabbis teachings. I have some interesting stories about having spontaneously done something on a certain day - that latter I found out was a Jewish feast day and it lined up with what the Jewish people would do without my having known prior that it was even coming up! I believe that is the Spirit led life. Although I am Gentile - inwardly I am a Jew. My heart has been circumcised and I am new in Christ.

Just so you know - my agreeing about the Panda comment was not one of my Spirit led moments. I have to repent - I believe the man could be saved and come to Christ as I do believe Putin could also - but neither man seems to have any inclination at this writing to do so. To see the suffering they have caused - is a bit overwhelming - okay, your comment about Peter's name...
Yes, it means Rock and yes, it is Greek. John's name means God is gracious but I'll go with your interpretation - even though John's name is Greek too. This is good because some "Greeks" are of the belief they have invented everything - names included - I must surmise. The seven headed monster with the whore on top must be for another day as I have to post my verse of the day which actually came from a discussion with my husband this morning about how to prevent a nuclear attack from happening against the USA. At the end of discussion we agreed there can only be one way to prevent it and that is the verse of the day got picked today. It suddenly dawned on me this is what the LORD has for today. Do I think America will repent? No. Do I think individuals will repent and be kept in the coming attack? Absolutely. I'm counting on everyone on this board being part of that number. I cannot see a single person here that could not draw nigh unto God and see God draw nigh unto them. That is the mercy and forgiveness found at the cross. Amen. Have a wonderful day, Rosie.

FRISEE

I grew up in the north east------in a state KNOWN for its tomatoes and CORN------the only thing we shuck is corn---
not at all difficult. To be honest----I have no idea what a
BUTTER BEAN IS-------one day I did figure it out-----but then forgot------it is some species of kidney bean?

I don't know. But they sure do taste good in soup. With cornbread. The cornbread has to be made in a black cast iron skillet. (in my opinion)

Merry Christmas to you to, Irish Ram. I will! I read your post on Derideo's thread and thought it was outstanding! very well written! Very clear and concise message and it made perfect sense - I hope others will consider what a blessing it is to be born in the USA. I thank God for the privilege. We have much to be grateful for here in America! Have a beautiful day tomorrow!

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.… - John 3:16,17

On this Day, may Jesus be present be in your home.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.… - John 3:16,17

oh gee-------not today----the place is a mess

oh gee-------not today----the place is a mess

He doesn't mind. Happy Hanukkah, Rosie.

happy_hanukkah_poster-r8bf3d4e42c5542a98e2abf22f391cc6a_wvs_8byvr_324.jpg

Verse of the day:

Every way of a man seems right in his own eyes, but the LORD ponders the hearts. - Proverbs 21:2

This comes from the under the heading of this scripture:

Man looks upon the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.
-1 Samuel 16:7

----
WHORE ON TOP

Rosie, The Greek language broke love down into several words to specify the type of love to which the word referred. Peter had a bit of an arrorgance problem, and liked to focus on and even boast of how great his love was for Jesus, as opposed to John who recognized his relationship with Christ was special because of Christ's love for John, and not the other way around.

The two words used in the verse you mentioned were philios and Agape. One means brotherly love, the other, the love of mankind that God has for His children.
Christ asked Peter three times if Peter agapied Him, Peter answered that He philiosed Christ. When Peter understood the difference, the pebble had grown into a rock filled with brotherly love for His fellow man. Only then could He feed Christ's sheep.

The so called macho Peter, swore against Christ, ran like a baby, and hid like a coward until Christ returned and made Peter whole.
Peter asked to be crucified upside down out of humility, not pride. It was a matter of his own worth when being compared to the worth of his Savior. It was finally the opposite of macho and the culmination of understanding of the true nature of Peter's love for Christ, and Christ's love for Peter.

Romans 5:5 “and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love (agape) has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.”

Last edited:

Forum List

Back