Utah; Man Executed by Firing Squad

Ed Gein (Killings between 1947 and 1957)

Known as history’s most inspirational killer, his character became a central element in many films, including Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller Psycho and the character of Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs, among others.

Modus Operandi

Gein was a serial killer who skinned his victims, exhumed corpses, and decorated his home with parts of his victims’ bodies. Human skin was used to make dust bins, furniture, and even clothes.

America?s Famous Serial Killers!

I don't believe that an execution should always be painless. Just sayin'.

Known as history’s most inspirational killer, his character became a central element in many films, including Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller Psycho and the character of Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs, among others.

Modus Operandi

Gein was a serial killer who skinned his victims, exhumed corpses, and decorated his home with parts of his victims’ bodies. Human skin was used to make dust bins, furniture, and even clothes.

i agree...just saying too!

Modus Operandi

Visit the Rawlin's City Museum: They display the slippers made for the Medical Examiner who did the autopsey on "Big Nose George" after he was lynched in WY. The slippers are made from Johnson's chest-skin. His skull cap was kept as an ash tray.

I've seen the slippers.:eusa_eh:

ed gein was mentally ill...just sayin

Being mentally ill is prerequisite for Homocide....just sayin'.

A theory I have long held. Mentally ill people do very, very strange and abnormal things. I'd say that murder is very strange and very abnormal.

In fact, being out of touch with reality is a definition of insanity. Murder strikes me as an act that is out of touch with reality. I mean, think about it. Could YOU ever commit murder? Really? I doubt it. Neither could I. For us, this would be an act so far removed from the reality of what we are that, if we were to actually do it, we would, at least momentarily, be out of touch with that reality.

Execution is barbaric and is nothing more than state sponsored murder. The US by allowing capital punishment is on par with countries such as China, Iran, Iraq, Russia, South Africa, Jamaica, to name a few. Shame on you for Americans no better than the worst despotic nations of the world. Sad but true.

A theory I have long held. Mentally ill people do very, very strange and abnormal things. I'd say that murder is very strange and very abnormal.

In fact, being out of touch with reality is a definition of insanity. Murder strikes me as an act that is out of touch with reality. I mean, think about it. Could YOU ever commit murder? Really? I doubt it. Neither could I. For us, this would be an act so far removed from the reality of what we are that, if we were to actually do it, we would, at least momentarily, be out of touch with that reality.

Who really knows if they could go insane?.....my guess is that under the "right" circumstances anyone's cheese might slip off their cracker.

George,
I agree with your synopsis. That being said do you support capital punishment (state sanctioned murder)? What if a mistake is made and an innocent man is put to death? It is for this reason that I oppose it - a possibility exists that an innocent man could be executed, the "system" is not fool-proof.

George,
I agree with your synopsis. That being said do you support capital punishment (state sanctioned murder)? What if a mistake is made and an innocent man is put to death? It is for this reason that I oppose it - a possibility exists that an innocent man could be executed, the "system" is not fool-proof.

Meh....sure, no system is "fool-proof."

Would you like to see a convicted guilty murder kill another victim: After all, no system is fool proof: he might escape, or be paroled?

George,

I am strongly opposed to capital punishment. My opposition to it is based on moral grounds, rather than the more pragmatic grounds of an innocent person being executed, the cost of it, the length of appeal time, etc. I am opposed to executing guilty people.

The intentional killing of any human being is morally wrong. Doesn't matter who is being killed or who (including the State) is doing the killing.

George,

I am strongly opposed to capital punishment. My opposition to it is based on moral grounds, rather than the more pragmatic grounds of an innocent person being executed, the cost of it, the length of appeal time, etc. I am opposed to executing guilty people.

The intentional killing of any human being is morally wrong. Doesn't matter who is being killed or who (including the State) is doing the killing.

In general, I agree, but some acts are so heinous that they demand the ultimate penalty.

Samson,

Yes he/she must escape or be paroled but I still cant bring myself to support the cold-blooded, calculated, sanitary killing of a man by the state. I live in Canada and you may have heard of Hurricane Carter (made a movie out of his story). He was unjustly convicted and sentenced to death in the USA. Thanks to three Canadian lawyers his conviction was overturned, he was innocent. Subsequent to that several prominent Canadian convicted but innocent murderers were released after being found innocent - Donald Marshall, David Millgarde, Guy-Paul Morin, Stephen Truscott, and a few more are considered innocent.

With Capital Punishment these men would have died but were found innocent. We do not have capital punishment anymore - thank God.

Samson,

Yes he/she must escape or be paroled but I still cant bring myself to support the cold-blooded, calculated, sanitary killing of a man by the state. I live in Canada and you may have heard of Hurricane Carter (made a movie out of his story). He was unjustly convicted and sentenced to death in the USA. Thanks to three Canadian lawyers his conviction was overturned, he was innocent. Subsequent to that several prominent Canadian convicted but innocent murderers were released after being found innocent - Donald Marshall, David Millgarde, Guy-Paul Morin, Stephen Truscott, and a few more are considered innocent.

With Capital Punishment these men would have died but were found innocent. We do not have capital punishment anymore - thank God.

There have been more than a few cases of heinious criminals being released, only to repeat their crimes.

Oddly these stories don't seem to make their way onto the Hollywood Producers' Interest List: I wonder if this may have something to do with the Anti-Death Penalty Political Leanings of Hollywood?.....NO

Producers will make any movie, if it makes money....in fact, they made quite a few "Vigilante-Genre" films in the 1980's that would promote public support of the Death Penalty. Why? Because it was popular at the time: Crime rates were high

My conclusion is: Whenever, and wherever you have higher crime rates, you have greater public support for the Death Penatly. In Canada, you have a very low crime rate, therefore, no death penalty. If Canadains were REALLY INTERESTED in eliminating the death penalty in the USA, then they would volunteer to receive all or most of the USA's most heinious criminals. This will decrease the crime rate in the USA and make the public abandon the death penalty.

Last edited:
Samson,

Your comment "...REALLY INTERESTED in eliminating the death penalty in the USA, then they would volunteer to receive all or most of the USA's most heinious criminals..." certainly was made in jest? the rate of incarceration in the USA is among the hiughest in the world and certainly is the highest in the free world as is the American rate of execution (in the western world). These are facts. That being said it surely must indicate that there is something seriously wrong with your judicial system and the fact that people are permitted to walk around carrying concealed weapons does nothing to reduce crime.

Samson,

Your comment "...REALLY INTERESTED in eliminating the death penalty in the USA, then they would volunteer to receive all or most of the USA's most heinious criminals..." certainly was made in jest? the rate of incarceration in the USA is among the hiughest in the world and certainly is the highest in the free world as is the American rate of execution (in the western world). These are facts. That being said it surely must indicate that there is something seriously wrong with your judicial system and the fact that people are permitted to walk around carrying concealed weapons does nothing to reduce crime.

Look, I didn't say Canada should take ALL criminals, only the most heinous: Those that maim and kill women and children? If you'd prefer, we could limit these that only use baseball bats, knives, ropes, bare hands, etc?

The point is, reducing the criminal element's population, not their choice of weapons, would reduce public support of the death penalty.

Forum List

Back