Utah; Man Executed by Firing Squad

Freeman

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2009
Ronnie Lee Gardner put to death by firing squad - Telegraph

I think the execution by hanging should be restored, it's not barbaric like firing squad!

firingsquad1.jpg

actually firing squad is pretty fast....they use people who are crack shots....where as hanging has complications and math involved....if you dont hang them high enough..the neck does not snap and they dangle and choke....hang them too high (we are talking the trap door types) and you can pull the head from the body....

the inventor of the electric chair swears that when maintained properly and all...the chair is the most humane way to go...but chairs have not been maintained nor updated leading to some horror stories...

lethal injection is not as humane as its cracked up to be either...

yep, but hanging is the fastest and optimal way to execute criminals, it's used in Iran, Japan, KOREA...ETC.

firing squad or former french guillotine is barbaric

ahhhh apparently you have enough blood in your brain to live about 15 sec after your head is severed

i dont see why you are all about hanging....it involves math did i mention that?

torture....drawn and quartered....pressed to death...

From a military standpoint firing squad was the honorable way of being executed. Hanging was seen as an embarassing way to die. Keitel and Jodl requested death by firing squad over hanging after Nuremberg and were denied.

I went up to the Old Wyoming State Prison in Rawlins, had Boy2 sit in the Gas Chamber, and took a picture.

I'm thinkin' on framing it for him for his 15th B'day.:razz:

Certainly, guaranteed instant death by firing squad would be preferable to other forms of execution.

Funny - I'm not hearing any of you folks who are so concerned about painless executions, mention lethal injection. PROPERLY ADMINISTERED by TRAINED MEDICAL PERSONNEL, lethal injection is truly painless.

One problem is, they seem to have some trouble getting trained medical personnel (i.e., medical doctors) to volunteer for this kind of "duty."

Wonder why that is? Probably that pesky old, Hipporcratic Oath.

I went up to the Old Wyoming State Prison in Rawlins, had Boy2 sit in the Gas Chamber, and took a picture.

Excellent! Wonderful training for the lad.

Or perhaps (I hope), I missed the sarcasm Smiley? Please tell me that's the case.

Funny - I'm not hearing any of you folks who are so concerned about painless executions, mention lethal injection. PROPERLY ADMINISTERED by TRAINED MEDICAL PERSONNEL, lethal injection is truly painless.

One problem is, they seem to have some trouble getting trained medical personnel (i.e., medical doctors) to volunteer for this kind of "duty."

Wonder why that is? Probably that pesky old, Hipporcratic Oath.

Did you know the best people to draw blood and or get an IV into you are IV drug users?

I am sure you can get some great IV drug users to tap a vein for a price. ;)

Excellent! Wonderful training for the lad.

Or perhaps (I hope), I missed the sarcasm Smiley? Please tell me that's the case.
It'll make him appreciate murka more.
Kinda like taking a livestock pet to a slaughterhouse to hear the squealing.

lethal injection is not as humane as we are told it is...

After the prisoner has been restrained, two intravenous (IV) tubes are inserted by the execution team, one tube in each arm. The intravenous tubes are threaded through an opening in the wall that leads to the anteroom, where the executioner is located. Once the IV tubes are inserted, a saline solution begins flowing into them.

When the IV tubes are in place, a curtain may be drawn back from the window or one-way mirror to allow witnesses to view the execution. At this time, the inmate is given a chance to make a final statement, either written or verbal. This statement is recorded and later released to the media. The prisoner's head is left unrestrained -- in states that use regular windows, this enables the inmate to turn and look at the witnesses. In states that use one-way mirrors, the witnesses are shielded from view. In the next section, we'll talk about how the drugs are delivered to induce death.

The execution team is either in a separate room or behind a curtain and cannot be seen by witnesses or the condemned. In some cases, the executioners may wear a hood to conceal their identity. At the warden's signal, the execution team will begin injecting lethal doses of two or three drugs into the IVs. Some states use multiple executioners, all of whom inject drugs into an IV tube -- but only one of the executioners is actually delivering the lethal injection. None of the executioners know who has delivered the lethal dose and who has injected drugs into a dummy bag.

HowStuffWorks "How Lethal Injection Works"

The drugs are administered, in this order:

•Anesthetic - Sodium thiopental, which has the trademark name Pentothal, puts the inmate into a deep sleep. This drug is a barbiturate that induces general anesthesia when administered intravenously. It can reach effective clinical concentrations in the brain within 30 seconds, according to an Amnesty International report. For surgical operations, patients are given a dose of 100 to 150 milligrams over a period of 10 to 15 seconds. For executions, as many as 5 grams (5,000 mg) of Pentothal may be administered. This in itself is a lethal dose. It's believed by some that after this anesthetic is delivered, the inmate doesn't feel anything.

•Saline solution flushes the intravenous line.

•Paralyzing agent - Pancuronium bromide, also known as Pavulon, is a muscle relaxant that is given in a dose that stops breathing by paralyzing the diaphragm and lungs. Conventionally, this drug takes effect in one to three minutes after being injected. In many states, this drug is given in doses of up to 100 milligrams, a much higher dose than is used in surgical operations -- usually 40 to 100 micrograms per one kilogram of body weight. Other chemicals that can be used as a paralyzing agent include tubocurarine chloride and succinylcholine chloride.

•Saline solution flushes the intravenous line.

•Toxic agent (not used by all states) - Potassium chloride is given at a lethal dose in order to interrupt the electrical signaling essential to heart functions. This induces cardiac arrest.

HowStuffWorks "How Lethal Injection Works"

Forum List

Back