USPS loses $16 billion. Raises all around!

not according to many business people on my route.......and regular people.....you would be surprised,i was,at how many people do not care for UPS or Fed-X....people think they dont fuck up.....believe me they do and have.....their delivery people are no better than the Postal Carrier.....and all 3 of us would like to not have to deliver what the others do.....there is enough shit to go around....

My point was that when the U.S. Constitution was written, 200+ years ago. the USPS served a unique and critical purpose.

Now, private enterpise can do the job: Plus there are many technological advances (telegraph, telephone, cellular, fax, email) that can substitute most USPS functions that are 200 years old.

I never asserted that any method of delivery was perfect.

and with private Enterprise comes 5-6 people with their hands in your mailbox......a small package delivered by one of the six is stolen....if its privatized it should be a monopoly by one company.....:eusa_eh:...

Currently, if I chisled out a letter, and mailed it, and it was "lost," I would have no choice other than to send the message using the same company that "lost" the first parcel.

I hire the cable company to provide a service. Since I hired them, no other cable company tries to provide the service. If I hired a mail service company to provide mail service, why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

But let's say we do only have one service provider, and I don't want cable: Guess what? Then I'm not FORCED to pay for fucking cable. Frankly, I might receive a few christmas cards via USPS every year, but other than that, I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service because CareforAll would otherwise lose her business?

I'm thinking the best way to succeed in business today is to open a shop that depends on charity from US Citizens: Mail Order Solar Powered Abortion Clinics?

:cool:

My point was that when the U.S. Constitution was written, 200+ years ago. the USPS served a unique and critical purpose.

Now, private enterpise can do the job: Plus there are many technological advances (telegraph, telephone, cellular, fax, email) that can substitute most USPS functions that are 200 years old.

and with private Enterprise comes 5-6 people with their hands in your mailbox......a small package delivered by one of the six is stolen....if its privatized it should be a monopoly by one company.....:eusa_eh:...

Currently, if I chisled out a letter, and mailed it, and it was "lost," I would have no choice other than to send the message using the same company that "lost" the first parcel.

I hire the cable company to provide a service. Since I hired them, no other cable company tries to provide the service. If I hired a mail service company to provide mail service,why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

But let's say we do only have one service provider, and I don't want cable: Guess what? Then I'm not FORCED to pay for fucking cable. Frankly, I might receive a few christmas cards via USPS every year, but other than that, I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service because CareforAll would otherwise lose her business?

I'm thinking the best way to succeed in business today is to open a shop that depends on charity from US Citizens: Mail Order Solar Powered Abortion Clinics?

why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

because listening to all the talk from the Private Enterprise people INCLUDING the ones in DC ....your Mail Box will be open to whoever is delivering the Mail....just because you want a certain company that doesn't mean the Co. you ordered from will use the same Co......and that goes with bills and other letter types and Magazines....so far that is one of the strongest arguments against Privatizing it...maintaining the SANCTITY of the MAIL......

I hire the cable company to provide a service. Since I hired them, no other cable company tries to provide the service. If I hired a mail service company to provide mail service, why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service

how are you subsidizing it?.....if YOU dont use it then your not subsidizing anyone....

how are you subsidizing it?.....if YOU dont use it then your not subsidizing anyone....
is it funded by what it takes in? stamps etc?

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

If Republicans hadn't made the USPS fund retirement for 75 yrs in advance, they might be in a more stable fiscal position. Leave it to Republicans to ruin and slander an American icon. Patriots.

To inject sanity into this whole argument--

The question is, is the post office a business or is it a public service?

If it's the latter, then, yes, they will operate at a loss, just like your local police department or your local fire department does.

If it's the former, it needs to make some changes because its business model has changed.

The Post Office is in trouble because E-mail has largely replaced letters as a form of communication and even paying bills. So they are rethinking their business model to offer other services while still maintaining their legally required mandate of daily postal delivery.

You wouldn't know sanity if it bit you in the ass...

And we wonder why we have deficits, just listen to the dumb ass SOB's in this thread defend them...

There IS no other daily letter delivery in the USA.

Wait till the PO dies and you will pay $5 per letter for delivery.

Also many laws will have to change since many legal notifications and such require US mail delivered notices, etc.

Over 50% of my county votes by mail. Ballots, instead of costing less than fifty cents to mail will now cost over a buck? Brilliant plan ya'll. Localize that cost!

If it's the latter, then, yes, they will operate at a loss, just like your local police department or your local fire department does.

If it's the former, it needs to make some changes because its business model has changed.

The Post Office is in trouble because E-mail has largely replaced letters as a form of communication and even paying bills. So they are rethinking their business model to offer other services while still maintaining their legally required mandate of daily postal delivery.

And we wonder why we have deficits, just listen to the dumb ass SOB's in this thread defend them...

It isn't because of the Post Office.

It's because we are buying 440 Million dollar jets we never use.

It isn't because of the Post Office.

It's because we are buying 440 Million dollar jets we never use.

You mean the ones that have a hard time flying in rain?

it needs to stop being forced to fund retirement 75 years into the future.

The fact that the republican want to KILL the post office shows they are fucking liars about supporting the constitution and the founders plans.

is it funded by what it takes in? stamps etc?

yes since the 70's.....but the new "leaders" are destroying it......i cant believe Congress hasnt asked for the PMG to resign or fire him....this guy is horrid.....

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

If Republicans hadn't made the USPS fund retirement for 75 yrs in advance, they might be in a more stable fiscal position. Leave it to Republicans to ruin and slander an American icon. Patriots.

if you notice Jose the Democrats and Obama haven't done Jack to repeal that....they have been meeting on this for almost a year.....and havent done shit.....

The post office needs new management....Which means it needs to shut down and let provate indrustry take over. No union is good business.

i agree with your first part......the second part.....who will take it over?.....one company or many?...

Government monopoly doesnt seem to work does it???? Look at our schools they suck and they are a government monopoly as well so I say many times many

it needs to stop being forced to fund retirement 75 years into the future.

The fact that the republican want to KILL the post office shows they are fucking liars about supporting the constitution and the founders plans.

i got news for you "Truth" the Democrats in Congress are not doing much to help......or the President.....like i said earlier.....they have been having Congressional meetings on this for almost a year now and haven't done shit but talk.....all they have accomplished is naming something like 10 post offices around the Country....there is our Congress for you....

Forum List

Back