USPS loses $16 billion. Raises all around!

so you must be one of those who thinks tax dollars are given to it...right?....if so like Dean says.....lets see the link......the only tax money i know of is for this.......

The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies.......

Yes I assumed that the USPS was a government funded operation (and $96 million is trivial).

At any rate, the question remains: Why not simply raise the cost of stamps to cover the costs?

Answer: Because, demand for USPS is declining: Raising stamp prices will only make this more obvious.

at any rate Sam.....in a few months i should be out of here.....i am just glad i have enough time in to retire....this place can drive you crazy.....the bullshit that comes down from the higher ups is in many a case.....unbelievable.....they think they are making everything better .....but they make the peoples jobs who actually do the work.....a lot tougher...

Dilbert is a popular cartoon because it resonates with everyone working in large corporate of government organizations....

The USPS, however, has something of a history of employees turning on management with fatal results.

Why can't private companies compete, with their own mail boxes? For example, here in rural maine, we have our mail boxes but we also have an attachment to our mail boxes for the delivery of our newspaper....the news paper can not legally be put in to our mailboxes, but nothing stops the newspaper company from delivering it to their own box....

so are you guys saying that private companies could not do something similar with mail?

I don't want this to happen, but I guess I am asking, would that be breaking the law?

I agree with Harry, that I personally like the safety and laws in place for our US mail right now....I want it to be against the law for someone to steal my mail, I want it to be against the law to open someone else's mail, I want mail to be private and protected....

but what is it that prevents private businesses from having customers install their own private mail box for delivery by them....? Is there a law?

I though anyone could put anything into my mailbox on my property.

228889390_b2444bf403_m.jpg

They are losing money because they have a union eating them from the inside. Their workers don't fear being fired so many of them are lazy pieces of shit.

I've been getting my mail delivered after 6pm, in the dark. What the fuck is the mail boy doing all day to not get done before dinner?

2 weeks ago I actually had to go to the post office to pick up a registered letter and this asshole behind the desk was studying for what looked like some post service test until he finally decided to help me. What the fuck is he reading at the front desk?

These assholes are protected by their unions, so they work slower and cost USPS more money on getting the mission done. They know it takes an act of God to fire them especially if they are a minority worker or so-called disabled.

This is what happens when the union cancer gets into an organization.

Go deliver mail for one day, just one day. I bet you get a whole new outlook.

Why can't private companies compete, with their own mail boxes? For example, here in rural maine, we have our mail boxes but we also have an attachment to our mail boxes for the delivery of our newspaper....the news paper can not legally be put in to our mailboxes, but nothing stops the newspaper company from delivering it to their own box....

so are you guys saying that private companies could not do something similar with mail?

I don't want this to happen, but I guess I am asking, would that be breaking the law?

I agree with Harry, that I personally like the safety and laws in place for our US mail right now....I want it to be against the law for someone to steal my mail, I want it to be against the law to open someone else's mail, I want mail to be private and protected....

but what is it that prevents private businesses from having customers install their own private mail box for delivery by them....? Is there a law?

but what is it that prevents private businesses from having customers install their own private mail box for delivery by them

who would pay for all these boxes?......how many boxes do you want to have on your front lawn?.....or how many gang boxes at the complex?..........and did you know if one has something of yours and they happen to go belly up.....you might not be able to get it for weeks until things are sorted out,this happened out here with a private PO box company who went out of business....it took the people a couple of weeks to get their mail.....

They are losing money because they have a union eating them from the inside. Their workers don't fear being fired so many of them are lazy pieces of shit.

I've been getting my mail delivered after 6pm, in the dark. What the fuck is the mail boy doing all day to not get done before dinner?

2 weeks ago I actually had to go to the post office to pick up a registered letter and this asshole behind the desk was studying for what looked like some post service test until he finally decided to help me. What the fuck is he reading at the front desk?

These assholes are protected by their unions, so they work slower and cost USPS more money on getting the mission done. They know it takes an act of God to fire them especially if they are a minority worker or so-called disabled.

This is what happens when the union cancer gets into an organization.

Go deliver mail for one day, just one day. I bet you get a whole new outlook.

i notice the fucker has not said anything since his post.....i guess he went Berserk....

but what is it that prevents private businesses from having customers install their own private mail box for delivery by them

who would pay for all these boxes?......how many boxes do you want to have on your front lawn?.....or how many gang boxes at the complex?..........and did you know if one has something of yours and they happen to go belly up.....you might not be able to get it for weeks until things are sorted out,this happened out here with a private PO box company who went out of business....it took the people a couple of weeks to get their mail.....
I agree harry...I just want to know if there is a law against these private businesses from doing it....If the homeowners want some other mail carrier, is there a law prohibiting a private mail carrier from going in to the private mail delivery business if they had their own box?

What I truly want to know is if there is NOT a law preventing a UPS or Fedx from getting in to the private mail delivery business if they use their own mail box, then WHY haven't these companies gone in to this business....and my contention is that daily MAIL DELIVERY is not in their best business interest.....THUS we need the US postal service to stay alive and well.

I agree harry...I just want to know if there is a law against these private businesses from doing it....If the homeowners want some other mail carrier, is there a law prohibiting a private mail carrier from going in to the private mail delivery business if they had their own box?

What I truly want to know is if there is NOT a law preventing a UPS or Fedx from getting in to the private mail delivery business if they use their own mail box, then WHY haven't these companies gone in to this business....and my contention is that daily MAIL DELIVERY is not in their best business interest.....THUS we need the US postal service to stay alive and well.
talking to the UPS guy on my route.....those guys dont want have any part of Mail Delivery.....he said right now they have enough Parcels to keep them running.....they dont need Letters too.....

talking to the UPS guy on my route.....those guys dont want have any part of Mail Delivery.....he said right now they have enough Parcels to keep them running.....they dont need Letters too.....
I don't think UPS wants to do it either, because they KNOW daily mail service to nearly every address that exists in the USA is not as profitable as delivering only packages....so the users on this thread that seem to think the US Postal service should die and let private businesses run it, are not being rational imho.

nope, it's illegal samson....no one can put anything in to your mailbox but the postal service.... you can't even put an invitation or thank you note in your neighbor's mailbox....that's breaking the law.

nope, it's illegal samson....no one can put anything in to your mailbox but the postal service.... you can't even put an invitation or thank you note in your neighbor's mailbox....that's breaking the law.

OK then you know why I called it a monopoly, which is not to say its a bad thing, except for the fact that it is operating much less efficiently than a monopoly is supposed to run.

The USPS claims this is because they are mandated to pay for the incredibly expensive Federal Health Care insurance plan for their employees and retirees costing $11B of the $16B deficite (still leaving $5B)

I counter this claim by wondering: Why not simply raise the price of USPS postage? As a monopoly, its not as if anyone has a choice other than to pay OR SIMPLY NOT USE THE SERVICE.

And this was my point in the beginning of the thread: If the USPS raises the price for its service, then more people will not use the USPS. People have many other less expensive alternatives they can choose other than the USPS.

This is the definition of obsolescence.

I'm afraid Ben Franklin would agree: Send a freakin' Email, Text, or pay for UPS/FedEx delivery.

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe, for instance, earned a base salary of $276,840, but even without a bonus or incentive payout, his overall compensation came to $512,093, compared with $384,229 in 2011, according to regulatory filings.'

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay - Washington Times

It would be outrageous if they posted a profit! In light of a $16B loss, it's an outrage.

We need to set up a 10 year period to phase out this dinosaur of an industry as a nationwide presence. The private sector could do the same job but there would have to be strict price controls involved.

A rare good post by Sniper

...but there would have to be strict price controls involved.

Can you point to a single example of where central price controls have worked? Stated differently, when have central price controls produced better results than free people making voluntary decisions in a free market? Lastly, who are you going to steal from to supplement the cost of delivering mail below the rate a free market would charge?

well your not supposed to but i have let the people on my route put things in for their neighbors.....but if the people are assholes....if i catch it....it aint happening....i also take out business cards that someone goes around and puts in.....the PO then will send them back to the card owner with a copy of the law....

OK then you know why I called it a monopoly, which is not to say its a bad thing, except for the fact that it is operating much less efficiently than a monopoly is supposed to run.

The USPS claims this is because they are mandated to pay for the incredibly expensive Federal Health Care insurance plan for their employees and retirees costing $11B of the $16B deficite (still leaving $5B)

I counter this claim by wondering: Why not simply raise the price of USPS postage? As a monopoly, its not as if anyone has a choice other than to pay OR SIMPLY NOT USE THE SERVICE.

And this was my point in the beginning of the thread: If the USPS raises the price for its service, then more people will not use the USPS. People have many other less expensive alternatives they can choose other than the USPS.

I'm afraid Ben Franklin would agree: Send a freakin' Email, Text, or pay for UPS/FedEx delivery.

i already explained this earlier....

I don't think UPS wants to do it either, because they KNOW daily mail service to nearly every address that exists in the USA is not as profitable as delivering only packages....so the users on this thread that seem to think the US Postal service should die and let private businesses run it, are not being rational imho.

90% of my mail goes right to the shredder... if I could, I'd hook the shredder to the bottom of my mailbox.

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe, for instance, earned a base salary of $276,840, but even without a bonus or incentive payout, his overall compensation came to $512,093, compared with $384,229 in 2011, according to regulatory filings.'

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay - Washington Times

It would be outrageous if they posted a profit! In light of a $16B loss, it's an outrage.

We need to set up a 10 year period to phase out this dinosaur of an industry as a nationwide presence. The private sector could do the same job but there would have to be strict price controls involved.

A rare good post by Sniper

yes it would......since they are mandated by Federal Law ....not too...

90% of my mail goes right to the shredder... if I could, I'd hook the shredder to the bottom of my mailbox.

so what about the other 10%?.....:eusa_eh:

For a lightweight package, USPS is 3 times less in price than UPS....as far as I am concerned, the post office can increase their prices 100% and I am still saving by going with the USPS.....

USPS pays their CEO about a half a million with bonuses....UPS pays their one CEO $9.5 million....they gotta get that money to pay him from their customers...along with all the other multi million dollar salaries of those at the top....

small businesses would be hurt greatly if there were not a post office to deliver their packages at a reasonable rate and customers would be hurt as well with much higher prices for the products they buy or the shipping they pay....

Forum List

Back