USPS loses $16 billion. Raises all around!

Except the Private Sector won't do the job.

They'll do what they can make money doing. If there's no money to be made sending stuff to Aunt Gertie in the sticks, they won't do that.

They can just mandate the private company deliver to the rural areas. Also there is no reason a 3 day a week delivery schedule would not serve the rural area well enough.
you have no idea how much mail can pile up at the routes if you deliver 3x a week.....and you cant mandate a private company to do anything.....if you did be prepared for them to charge exorbitant rates to do it....

I didn't know about Sanders co sponsoring this accounting practices bill. What was the name of the bill?

I think they called it the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.

It was h.r. 6407 presented by a republican. Co sponsored by 1 republican and 2 demorats including Henry Waxman, a supposedly liberal. Nothing about Sanders I could find. I don't believe they cross over into another branch to co sponsor a bill.

Yes, I think 'sponsor' was the wrong term. I read he introduced the bill into the Senate. Either way, the overwhelming bipartisan vote (and Waxman's support) should put an end to this "It was the Republicans" bullshit.

I couldn't have my small business if I had to pay the inflated Private sector prices of UPS or Fedex to ship, and millions of small businesses just like me could not either....

What you fail to understand is that if the monopoly on first class mail were lifted, hundreds (if not thousands) of private concerns would enter the market to COMPETE for your business. That competition forces innovations and improvements in efficiency government agencies do not face. Now, because those private concerns cannot take money from non-customers (as the Post Office can), prices will better reflect the actual cost of mailing a letter.

And this is the fault of Republicans that introduced and passed a law that makes the USPS fund retirements of their employees...

First, that bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Further, the PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn’t meeting those obligations before 2006. It was then that the Congress mandated that it follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States.

So, I'd agree with you, but you're wrong.

if your talking about the bill Barretta posted above Sanders DID NOT co-sponser it....

I couldn't have my small business if I had to pay the inflated Private sector prices of UPS or Fedex to ship, and millions of small businesses just like me could not either....

What you fail to understand is that if the monopoly on first class mail were lifted, hundreds (if not thousands) of private concerns would enter the market to COMPETE for your business. That competition forces innovations and improvements in efficiency government agencies do not face. Now, because those private concerns cannot take money from non-customers (as the Post Office can), prices will better reflect the actual cost of mailing a letter.

And this is the fault of Republicans that introduced and passed a law that makes the USPS fund retirements of their employees...
First, that bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Further, the PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn’t meeting those obligations before 2006. It was then that the Congress mandated that it follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States.

So, I'd agree with you, but you're wrong.
Please show us all, that ANY business in the united states is required by law to fund their pension 75 years upfront for employees that have not even been born or hired yet.

and there is absolutely nothing that is stopping the private sector in competing with daily mail delivery to a customer's home....the reason they have not done it, is that they can not afford to do this and pay their ceos 9 million a year in compensation.....

UPS and FEDX decided to compete against the Post office with their packages, why NOT daily mail to every home in America? there is no law restricting them from competing right now....

the PO has a Monopoly on first Class mail......going into your Mail Box.....not delivering to your door.....

and with private Enterprise comes 5-6 people with their hands in your mailbox......a small package delivered by one of the six is stolen....if its privatized it should be a monopoly by one company.....:eusa_eh:...

Currently, if I chisled out a letter, and mailed it, and it was "lost," I would have no choice other than to send the message using the same company that "lost" the first parcel.

I hire the cable company to provide a service. Since I hired them, no other cable company tries to provide the service. If I hired a mail service company to provide mail service, why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

But let's say we do only have one service provider, and I don't want cable: Guess what? Then I'm not FORCED to pay for fucking cable. Frankly, I might receive a few christmas cards via USPS every year, but other than that, I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service because CareforAll would otherwise lose her business?

I'm thinking the best way to succeed in business today is to open a shop that depends on charity from US Citizens: Mail Order Solar Powered Abortion Clinics?

:cool:

I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service

how are you subsidizing it?.....if YOU dont use it then your not subsidizing anyone....

The only way the USPS derives revenue from me, or anyone else is from buying stamps?

REALLY?

Well, in that case, carry on.

USPS and FEDX decided to compete against the Post office with their packages, why NOT daily mail to every home in America? there is no law restricting them from competing right now....

I disagree.

The USPS has a state sactioned monopoly on 1st class mail service.
How so samson? You do realize there was a time when there was NO fedx and no ups, yet they formed to compete with the post office's delivery on packages.
parcels back then (1907)were not first class......

just think when it all comes crashing down the fun you'll have then

I'll bet you didn't know that all the other delivery services deliver faster and operate at a profit, did you? Perhaps the USPS could imitate them........nah!!!

the other services are allowed to make a profit and can make their own decisions on whats best for them......the PO....nah!!!

[

because listening to all the talk from the Private Enterprise people INCLUDING the ones in DC ....your Mail Box will be open to whoever is delivering the Mail....just because you want a certain company that doesn't mean the Co. you ordered from will use the same Co......and that goes with bills and other letter types and Magazines....so far that is one of the strongest arguments against Privatizing it...maintaining the SANCTITY of the MAIL......

Ah the Sanctity, indeed.

Is there really any service from ANY provider that does NOT have "sanctity?"

Even a prostitute will claim she's "clean."

I'm not sure I trust Uncle Sam any more than I would Trixie Hotpants.

just think when it all comes crashing down the fun you'll have then

I'll bet you didn't know that all the other delivery services deliver faster and operate at a profit, did you? Perhaps the USPS could imitate them........nah!!!

Make UPS and FedEx deliver to every shit hole town in the US for one low price and see how long they stay in business

the PO delivers to those places for them now....FedX- SmartPost.....UPS-UPS Mail Innovations

How so samson? You do realize there was a time when there was NO fedx and no ups, yet they formed to compete with the post office's delivery on packages.

I believe the monopoly is only on 1st class letter service.

And flattery WILL get you everywhere, but I DO recall the pre UPS/FedEx world!:cool:
There is NOTHING stopping ANY private sector business from developing a daily mail service to all homes in America Samson.

if its a letter or a check, where are they going to put it if your not home?....

Agreed: public sector jobs should not operate for profit.

However, public sector jobs should not be created when their function can be satisfied in the private sector.

The USPS is obsolete.

i disagree. And the post office wasn't created at a time when the function could be satisfied by the private sector.

i don't believe in eviscerating the public sector for the private sector.... again... the post office acts in the public interest.

Not sure what the relationship is between needing a USPS 200+ years ago and spending $Billions today to subsidize the USPS when private industry can do the job.

Women could not vote 200+ years ago, therefore they should not be able to vote today?

Your Sentimentality is very Selective.

that 8 billion dollars isnt tax payer money.....its money the PO made and paid into this fund....

why does the right hate the post office?

The founders wanted it and wrote it right into the constitution.

They were willing to pay for it.

it now pays for itself.

Why did the republicans want it burdened with funding its retirement fund 75 years into the furture in jsut 10 years?

They were trying to kill it.

They LIE about being all constitutional.

hey Truth....two of the Co-sponsors of that bill are friends of yours....Henry Waxmen...and Danny Davis......so get on them too.........

i disagree. And the post office wasn't created at a time when the function could be satisfied by the private sector.

i don't believe in eviscerating the public sector for the private sector.... again... the post office acts in the public interest.

Not sure what the relationship is between needing a USPS 200+ years ago and spending $Billions today to subsidize the USPS when private industry can do the job.

Women could not vote 200+ years ago, therefore they should not be able to vote today?

that 8 billion dollars isnt tax payer money.....its money the PO made and paid into this fund....

Of the $16 B deficit, $11B is blamed on the mandate that USPS use the Federal Health Plan for employees and retirees.

There's still a $5 B shortfall between USPS costs, and revenue from selling stamps.

Since they have a monopoly on first class letter service (letters delivered to your USPS mailbox), then why not simply raise the price of stamps?

I think they called it the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.

It was h.r. 6407 presented by a republican. Co sponsored by 1 republican and 2 demorats including Henry Waxman, a supposedly liberal. Nothing about Sanders I could find. I don't believe they cross over into another branch to co sponsor a bill.

Yes, I think 'sponsor' was the wrong term. I read he introduced the bill into the Senate. Either way, the overwhelming bipartisan vote (and Waxman's support) should put an end to this "It was the Republicans" bullshit.

Rep. Thomas “Tom” Davis III a Republican introduced it....Bernie is on the current Postal hearing Committee....which is a bunch of bullshit so far....they really haven't accomplished much,they just have prevented things from happening like ending Sat. delivery for few years....

Currently, if I chisled out a letter, and mailed it, and it was "lost," I would have no choice other than to send the message using the same company that "lost" the first parcel.

I hire the cable company to provide a service. Since I hired them, no other cable company tries to provide the service. If I hired a mail service company to provide mail service, why would I need to worry about 5-6 other companies providing the service?

But let's say we do only have one service provider, and I don't want cable: Guess what? Then I'm not FORCED to pay for fucking cable. Frankly, I might receive a few christmas cards via USPS every year, but other than that, I don't need them, yet I still must subsidize the obsolete service because CareforAll would otherwise lose her business?

I'm thinking the best way to succeed in business today is to open a shop that depends on charity from US Citizens: Mail Order Solar Powered Abortion Clinics?

:cool:

how are you subsidizing it?.....if YOU dont use it then your not subsidizing anyone....

The only way the USPS derives revenue from me, or anyone else is from buying stamps?

REALLY?

so you must be one of those who thinks tax dollars are given to it...right?....if so like Dean says.....lets see the link......the only tax money i know of is for this.......

The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies.......

[

because listening to all the talk from the Private Enterprise people INCLUDING the ones in DC ....your Mail Box will be open to whoever is delivering the Mail....just because you want a certain company that doesn't mean the Co. you ordered from will use the same Co......and that goes with bills and other letter types and Magazines....so far that is one of the strongest arguments against Privatizing it...maintaining the SANCTITY of the MAIL......

Ah the Sanctity, indeed.

Is there really any service from ANY provider that does NOT have "sanctity?"

Even a prostitute will claim she's "clean."

I'm not sure I trust Uncle Sam any more than I would Trixie Hotpants.

we have security cameras all over the fucking place on ceilings, on the walls, outside where the trucks are.....if a carrier or clerks steal they may get away with it ......but if they continue they will get caught......the UPS driver who brings their parcels to our office when he saw the amount of security cameras around he was kinda shocked.....he said we have them....not like this.....he said fuck can you guys take a shit without being spied on?.... we dont know.....

REALLY?

so you must be one of those who thinks tax dollars are given to it...right?....if so like Dean says.....lets see the link......the only tax money i know of is for this.......

The USPS does get some taxpayer support. Around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies.......

Yes I assumed that the USPS was a government funded operation (and $96 million is trivial).

At any rate, the question remains: Why not simply raise the cost of stamps to cover the costs?

Answer: Because, demand for USPS is declining: Raising stamp prices will only make this more obvious.

Of the $16 B deficit, $11B is blamed on the mandate that USPS use the Federal Health Plan for employees and retirees.

There's still a $5 B shortfall between USPS costs, and revenue from selling stamps.

Since they have a monopoly on first class letter service (letters delivered to your USPS mailbox), then why not simply raise the price of stamps?
they have to get permission to do so.....if the "Postal Board of Governors" don't think its necessary,it will be rejected.....and even if they aprove Congress may not.....and i believe they can only go 1-4 cents at a time.... i think.....i may be wrong.....

REALLY?

Yes I assumed that the USPS was a government funded operation (and $96 million is trivial).

At any rate, the question remains: Why not simply raise the cost of stamps to cover the costs?

Answer: Because, demand for USPS is declining: Raising stamp prices will only make this more obvious.

at any rate Sam.....in a few months i should be out of here.....i am just glad i have enough time in to retire....this place can drive you crazy.....the bullshit that comes down from the higher ups is in many a case.....unbelievable.....they think they are making everything better .....but they make the peoples jobs who actually do the work.....a lot tougher...

Why can't private companies compete, with their own mail boxes? For example, here in rural maine, we have our mail boxes but we also have an attachment to our mail boxes for the delivery of our newspaper....the news paper can not legally be put in to our mailboxes, but nothing stops the newspaper company from delivering it to their own box....

so are you guys saying that private companies could not do something similar with mail?

I don't want this to happen, but I guess I am asking, would that be breaking the law?

I agree with Harry, that I personally like the safety and laws in place for our US mail right now....I want it to be against the law for someone to steal my mail, I want it to be against the law to open someone else's mail, I want mail to be private and protected....

but what is it that prevents private businesses from having customers install their own private mail box for delivery by them....? Is there a law?

Forum List

Back