USPS loses $16 billion. Raises all around!

I couldn't have my small business if I had to pay the inflated Private sector prices of UPS or Fedex to ship, and millions of small businesses just like me could not either....

And this is the fault of Republicans that introduced and passed a law that makes the USPS fund retirements of their employees out 75 years. There is ABSOLUTELY NO private sector business or gvt agency that is REQUIRED BY LAW to fund pensions upfront for the next 75 years and for employees that have not even been hired yet....it's typical bullcrap DONE BY THE Republicans to FORCE USPS in to bankruptcy so they can support their corporate masters at UPS and FEDX.

google is your friend, read up on it....

thanks. i just linked to that information. but you're 100% correct

I would like to link also; would it be possible for you to share the mystery, O' Wise One?

:bow3:

Well, I ran out of patience waiting for whatever partisan blog blames the RepublicanPartyRightWingVastConspiracyCheneyBushIraqWarBigOil.

Rather I went to the USPS very own website.

http://about.usps.com/publications/...nnual-report-comprehensive-statement-2012.pdf

Nothing about Republicans there.

However, I found something on page 6 very interesting: the deficite included $11.1 B in retiree manditory health benefits, and the USPS is begging congress and the administration to allow them to provide health benefits to retirees and employees....

INDEPENDENT OF THE FEDERAL SYSTEM!

:lol::lol::lol:

I love the irony.

USPS and FEDX decided to compete against the Post office with their packages, why NOT daily mail to every home in America? there is no law restricting them from competing right now....

I disagree.

The USPS has a state sactioned monopoly on 1st class mail service.

USPS and FEDX decided to compete against the Post office with their packages, why NOT daily mail to every home in America? there is no law restricting them from competing right now....

I disagree.

How so samson? You do realize there was a time when there was NO fedx and no ups, yet they formed to compete with the post office's delivery on packages.

I disagree.

How so samson? You do realize there was a time when there was NO fedx and no ups, yet they formed to compete with the post office's delivery on packages.

I believe the monopoly is only on 1st class letter service.

And flattery WILL get you everywhere, but I DO recall the pre UPS/FedEx world!:cool:

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced by many businesses.

Again, private companies are prevented by law from delivering letters. With regard to other packages, UPS, FedEX, DHL, etc would disagree. As would many of their customers.

Such is the case with most people on the receiving end of a service made possible with other people's money.

I say it's time for you to pay for your own delivery service.

We're not going to agree on this and frankly I think you're a moron. Thankfully though your opinion means nothing and I'll continue to have a cheap efficient means to conduct my business. Thanks for your tax dollars asshole.

Reverting to multiple ad hominem attacks in lieu of logic or reason...typical.

Anyway, good luck with all that. And good luck keeping your cheap delivery service made possible through theft. It's not like the country is running out of money or anything...:doubt:

What do you expect from a guy who likes balls so much that he uses it as his user name?

just think when it all comes crashing down the fun you'll have then

I'll bet you didn't know that all the other delivery services deliver faster and operate at a profit, did you? Perhaps the USPS could imitate them........nah!!!

Make UPS and FedEx deliver to every shit hole town in the US for one low price and see how long they stay in business

I disagree.

And flattery WILL get you everywhere, but I DO recall the pre UPS/FedEx world!:cool:
There is NOTHING stopping ANY private sector business from developing a daily mail service to all homes in America Samson.

There is NOTHING stopping ANY private sector business from developing a daily mail service to all homes in America Samson.

How would they compete with the government, who doesn't pay taxes, or doesn't need to be profitable?

I couldn't have my small business if I had to pay the inflated Private sector prices of UPS or Fedex to ship, and millions of small businesses just like me could not either....

What you fail to understand is that if the monopoly on first class mail were lifted, hundreds (if not thousands) of private concerns would enter the market to COMPETE for your business. That competition forces innovations and improvements in efficiency government agencies do not face. Now, because those private concerns cannot take money from non-customers (as the Post Office can), prices will better reflect the actual cost of mailing a letter.

And this is the fault of Republicans that introduced and passed a law that makes the USPS fund retirements of their employees...

First, that bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Further, the PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn’t meeting those obligations before 2006. It was then that the Congress mandated that it follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States.

So, I'd agree with you, but you're wrong.

No private company wants to compete for the right to send a letter across the country for 45 cents

Central price controls over mail would not exist in a free market. If you CHOOSE to live in the middle of nowhere, that doesn't mean people in cities should supplement your delivery service expenses.

What you fail to understand is that if the monopoly on first class mail were lifted, hundreds (if not thousands) of private concerns would enter the market to COMPETE for your business. That competition forces innovations and improvements in efficiency government agencies do not face. Now, because those private concerns cannot take money from non-customers (as the Post Office can), prices will better reflect the actual cost of mailing a letter.

And this is the fault of Republicans that introduced and passed a law that makes the USPS fund retirements of their employees...
First, that bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Further, the PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn’t meeting those obligations before 2006. It was then that the Congress mandated that it follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States.

Please show us all, that ANY business in the united states is required by law to fund their pension 75 years upfront for employees that have not even been born or hired yet.

The law requires the PO to follow the same standard accounting principals that all business do. Look it up yourself.

and there is absolutely nothing that is stopping the private sector in competing with daily mail delivery to a customer's home....the reason they have not done it, is that they can not afford to do this and pay their ceos 9 million a year in compensation....

Bullshit. It is against the law for any private company to compete with the PO for first class mail delivery.

UPS and FEDX decided to compete against the Post office with their packages, why NOT daily mail to every home in America? there is no law restricting them from competing right now....

Yes, there is.

Lastly, I noticed you didn't defend your "Republicans caused this problem" claim. Truth hurts, eh?

No private company wants to compete for the right to send a letter across the country for 45 cents

Central price controls over mail would not exist in a free market. If you CHOOSE to live in the middle of nowhere, that doesn't mean people in cities should supplement your delivery service expenses.

Good one

Try selling that one to Red States when you try to abolish the Constitutionally mandated Post Office

Good one

Try selling that one to Red States when you try to abolish the Constitutionally mandated Post Office

Agreed, the monopoly of the USPS benefits the states and areas that have fewer persons.

Blue state liberals should continue to subsidize red states with USPS pork.

Good one

Thank you. It's good to see someone acknowledge the lack of reason in their thinking. Baby steps.

Nobody's suggested the PO isn't in the Constitution. It is, right there before the amendments, which could and should be used to abolish that which is no longer necessary and can be replaced by free markets.

Private secter is more efficient, but not cheaper.

it isn't more efficient.

and things that operate in the public interest shouldn't be 'for profit'... there is no incentive to ACT in the public interest when profits are involved. that seems to be the part of the equation that the brainwashed right has a problem with.

Agreed: public sector jobs should not operate for profit.

However, public sector jobs should not be created when their function can be satisfied in the private sector.

The USPS is obsolete.

i disagree. And the post office wasn't created at a time when the function could be satisfied by the private sector.

i don't believe in eviscerating the public sector for the private sector.... again... the post office acts in the public interest.

Thank you. It's good to see someone acknowledge the lack of reason in their thinking. Baby steps.

you talking about anyone else's lack of reason is amusing.

Nobody's suggested the PO isn't in the Constitution. It is, right there before the amendments, which could and should be used to abolish that which is no longer necessary and can be replaced by free markets.

stop talking...you're an idiot.

you talking about anyone else's lack of reason is amusing.

stop talking...you're an idiot.

Oh the irony. You criticize me for a "lack of reason" in a post in which you present no logic or reason. But hey, you did get an ad hominem attack in there, so, thanks for being consistent I suppose!

it isn't more efficient.

and things that operate in the public interest shouldn't be 'for profit'... there is no incentive to ACT in the public interest when profits are involved. that seems to be the part of the equation that the brainwashed right has a problem with.

Agreed: public sector jobs should not operate for profit.

However, public sector jobs should not be created when their function can be satisfied in the private sector.

The USPS is obsolete.

i disagree. And the post office wasn't created at a time when the function could be satisfied by the private sector.

i don't believe in eviscerating the public sector for the private sector.... again... the post office acts in the public interest.

Not sure what the relationship is between needing a USPS 200+ years ago and spending $Billions today to subsidize the USPS when private industry can do the job.

Women could not vote 200+ years ago, therefore they should not be able to vote today?

Your Sentimentality is very Selective.

[

Not sure what the relationship is between needing a USPS 200+ years ago and spending $Billions today to subsidize the USPS when private industry can do the job.

Women could not vote 200+ years ago, therefore they should not be able to vote today?

Your Sentimentality is very Selective.

Except the Private Sector won't do the job.

They'll do what they can make money doing. If there's no money to be made sending stuff to Aunt Gertie in the sticks, they won't do that.

Forum List

Back