Using "Mental Illness" as a cop-out for Mass shootings

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
This writer from Salon hits it spot on.

It s not about mental illness The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males - Salon.com

“The real issue is mental illness” is a goddamn cop-out. I almost never hear it from actual mental health professionals, or advocates working in the mental health sphere, or anyone who actually has any kind of informed opinion on mental health or serious policy proposals for how to improve our treatment of the mentally ill in this country.

What I hear from people who bleat on about “The real issue is mental illness,” when pressed for specific suggestions on how to deal with said “real issue,” is terrifying nonsense designed to throw the mentally ill under the bus. Elliot Rodger’s parents should’ve been able to force risperidone down his throat. Seung-Hui Cho should’ve been forcibly institutionalized. Anyone with a mental illness diagnosis should surrender all of their constitutional rights, right now, rather than at all compromise the right to bear arms of self-declared sane people.

What’s interesting is to watch who the mentally ill people are being thrown under the bus to defend. In the wake of Sandy Hook, the NRA tells us that creating a national registry of firearms owners would be giving the government dangerously unchecked tyrannical power, but a national registry of the mentally ill would not — even though a “sane” person holding a gun is intrinsically more dangerous than a “crazy” person, no matter how crazy, without a gun.

Now, here's the thing. The sad state of our mental health system is a bipartisan issue. From Republicans who don't want to pay for outpatient programs or hospitals, to ACLU types who make it next to impossible to institutionalize a crazy person against his will.

But the main problem is, we always find out AFTER these people have gotten a gun and killed a bunch of people that they were crazy.

How about, just for the hell of it, we actually prevent crazy people from getting guns before they kill a bunch of people?

There is nothing spot on about Chu's rant. Nothing. This is why Salon has taken a dive. He speculates as has everyone else because there isn't enough information known. Happens all the time and with every case. They are going to do this for three weeks and then something else will take the spotlight.

Chu basically said that he knew as little as everyone else but he wanted to throw his two cents in about why every one else is wrong. He needs to turn off the damn tv and go get a beer and have a big bowl of STFU stew. I doubt very seriously that he has ever went looking in order to hear anything about the mentally ill unless it fits into his hit and run rants.

Okay, no guns for you.

How about "No guns for anyone who doesn't have a damned good reason for having one".

Like every other civilized country does.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you idiots crack me up!

Yup especially when you realize if the shooter had been black no one would have said a word other than, "Nine dead. What a shame."

These people are fucking idiots who waste no time showing everyone what idiots they truly are. LOL

Okay, no guns for you.

How about "No guns for anyone who doesn't have a damned good reason for having one".

schindlers-gun-control-300x260.jpg

The Progressive Founding Fathers: Hitler , Stalin and Mao were all proponents of gun control

Okay, no guns for you.

Sorry but the Constitution says otherwise :)

JoeB hates the constitution in general, and only references it when it suits his purposes.

He should realize the Constitution is more clear on gun ownership then it is on homo marriage

District of Columbia v Heller made it perfectly clear that regulating (restrictions) firearms is within the Constitution.

What you will never see is a psychological evaluation for gun ownership. You won't see it. Not now and not ever.

Secondly, the mental health crisis is a major deal. It doesn't have to be connected to this one case. The sentence here:
I get really really tired of hearing the phrase “mental illness” thrown around as a way to avoid saying other terms like “toxic masculinity,” “white supremacy,” “misogyny” or “racism.”

indicates a complete disconnect from reality. Nobody is avoiding the term racism or white supremacy unless you have zero access to a tv, the internet, or a radio. In fact, when you hear right wingers use those terms (to show they are all fair and balanced) then you aren't paying attention.

Chu has simply kicked out another worthless commentary that solves nothing.

No prison because everyone is a victim of the drug war. No mental health hospitals for long or life term care because some jack ass has decided that it will destroy rights. FFS, nobody do anything and bitch some more.

District of Columbia v Heller made it perfectly clear that regulating (restrictions) firearms is within the Constitution.

What you will never see is a psychological evaluation for gun ownership. You won't see it. Not now and not ever.

Secondly, the mental health crisis is a major deal. It doesn't have to be connected to this one case. The sentence here:
I get really really tired of hearing the phrase “mental illness” thrown around as a way to avoid saying other terms like “toxic masculinity,” “white supremacy,” “misogyny” or “racism.”

indicates a complete disconnect from reality. Nobody is avoiding the term racism or white supremacy unless you have zero access to a tv, the internet, or a radio. In fact, when you hear right wingers use those terms (to show they are all fair and balanced) then you aren't paying attention.

Chu has simply kicked out another worthless commentary that solves nothing.

No prison because everyone is a victim of the drug war. No mental health hospitals for long or life term care because some jack ass has decided that it will destroy rights. FFS, nobody do anything and bitch some more.

I don't think anyone has a problem with keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill or felons. The NRA is actually supporting that very thing. But when laws are made that affect 99 percent of law abiding citizens and attempt to restrict their constitutional right is where the line is drawn.

It s not about mental illness The big lie that always follows mass shootings by white males - Salon.com

“The real issue is mental illness” is a goddamn cop-out. I almost never hear it from actual mental health professionals, or advocates working in the mental health sphere, or anyone who actually has any kind of informed opinion on mental health or serious policy proposals for how to improve our treatment of the mentally ill in this country.

What I hear from people who bleat on about “The real issue is mental illness,” when pressed for specific suggestions on how to deal with said “real issue,” is terrifying nonsense designed to throw the mentally ill under the bus. Elliot Rodger’s parents should’ve been able to force risperidone down his throat. Seung-Hui Cho should’ve been forcibly institutionalized. Anyone with a mental illness diagnosis should surrender all of their constitutional rights, right now, rather than at all compromise the right to bear arms of self-declared sane people.

What’s interesting is to watch who the mentally ill people are being thrown under the bus to defend. In the wake of Sandy Hook, the NRA tells us that creating a national registry of firearms owners would be giving the government dangerously unchecked tyrannical power, but a national registry of the mentally ill would not — even though a “sane” person holding a gun is intrinsically more dangerous than a “crazy” person, no matter how crazy, without a gun.

Now, here's the thing. The sad state of our mental health system is a bipartisan issue. From Republicans who don't want to pay for outpatient programs or hospitals, to ACLU types who make it next to impossible to institutionalize a crazy person against his will.

But the main problem is, we always find out AFTER these people have gotten a gun and killed a bunch of people that they were crazy.

How about, just for the hell of it, we actually prevent crazy people from getting guns before they kill a bunch of people?

Isn't that it's a cop-out as in being mentally ill excuses it (think we should execute offenders regardless,) but the act of murder is in and of itself not the act of a sane individual. You're gonna get caught, or be hunted the rest of your life, so commiting murder is not the act of a person thinking clearly.

The problem we have when this sort of thing happens is I think, the victims are dead, today, so why isn't the perpetrator? Why once we catch them does it take 15 years or more? Why do some not get executed when their victims are still dead?

In cases like this one in Charlotte where the person's guilt isn't in question, they should be executed by gunshot THAT DAY. Not like they'll have a problem finding eager volunteers, hell I"d smile-kill this SC twat.

Whenever a white person mows down a group of people white people dont want to be associated with it so they call the guy "crazy" instead of "criminal" because crazy is an excuse.

Whenever a Muslim person kills ANYONE white people say its all the fault of ISLAM and crazy isnt used unless to say we should kill those crazy fucks

Whenever a black person shoots anyone they are a no good criminal, who wasnt raised right in a bad community with a culture that promotes violence.

Isn't that it's a cop-out as in being mentally ill excuses it (think we should execute offenders regardless,) but the act of murder is in and of itself not the act of a sane individual. You're gonna get caught, or be hunted the rest of your life, so commiting murder is not the act of a person thinking clearly.

The problem we have when this sort of thing happens is I think, the victims are dead, today, so why isn't the perpetrator? Why once we catch them does it take 15 years or more? Why do some not get executed when their victims are still dead?

In cases like this one in Charlotte where the person's guilt isn't in question, they should be executed by gunshot THAT DAY. Not like they'll have a problem finding eager volunteers, hell I"d smile-kill this SC twat.

Fuck the constitution, take him out back and shoot him!

You stupid fucks amuse me.

Forum List

Back