US Supreme Court Pisses on Dead US Soldiers

Who got the decision right, Alito or the 8 weenies??

• Alito has it right, there are in fact limits on free speech

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • The 8 pukes have it right, free speech is free speech, with no boundaries

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
The supremes voted 8 - 1 to disrespect dead US servicemen and in favor of talking ass-wipes. Not only that, but the dead soldiers family needs to pay for the ass-wipes' legal fees. They gave a son's life to defend the USSC and the US, and only Alito got the opinion right.

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Lets do a poll on who got it right, Alito or the pukes.

I wonder what would happen if the protesters targeted funerals for gay men who died of AIDS?

Hello?
Don't worry...some of his best friends are gay.

I hate those bastards. They hate me as a liberal, I meant them while in school. They are really no one's friend.

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone. You can't take them away because you hate someone's opinion. If they obey the police perimeters, protest peacefully with no violence, they should have the right to do it.
The Gov't. doesn't give you the right to free speech. They got the decision right but that doesn't make WBC right. If I was the father I would not pay the legal costs for the church.

If the government doesn't give you the right to free speech, who does? It certainly isn't something that could be considered "natural". In the natural world, if I'm stronger than you, my speech is unlimited and yours only extends as far as I permit it.

The supremes voted 8 - 1 to disrespect dead US servicemen and in favor of talking ass-wipes. Not only that, but the dead soldiers family needs to pay for the ass-wipes' legal fees. They gave a son's life to defend the USSC and the US, and only Alito got the opinion right.

I wonder what would happen if the protesters targeted funerals for gay men who died of AIDS?

That's how they got started. The first protest to get them on the news was Matthew Shepperd's funeral.

How fucked up is Alito? He ruled against free speech...what a justice he is.

Alito's words - But in staking out his lone dissent, Alito suggested that when publicly offensive speech is also -- and perhaps primarily -- personally painful, the Constitution doesn't protect it.

"Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote.

The article is here- Westboro Baptist Church Ruling: Dissenting Justice Samuel Alito Draws Free Speech Line

The shoe would be on the other foot.

That's how they got started. The first protest to get them on the news was Matthew Shepperd's funeral.

That was a long time ago. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the information. I'm glad the Supreme Court sided with the church. The First Amendment brings a lot of wonderful things, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Guess what? The dead soldiers died for the right to speak freely. No matter how offensive. So the majority got it right.

So it goes for now.

The court got this one wrong. Alto is correct there are multiple avenues for this WBC to conduct their Free Speech. (Free speech in their case = hate speech)

And they could do it without the disrespect they show to our heroes and their families.

I will say it again; If they ever show up at a funeral where I am attending as an honor Guard or Color guard, someone will need to come downtown and pay my bail.

I hate the fact that those animals get to harass the families of dead soldiers (or anyone else) and I think they deserve a huge butt-kicking whereever they show up. that said, and it pains me to say it, the decision was correct. free speech doesn't mean speech we like. in fact, if we like it, it doesn't need to be protected at all because no one tries to impede the things they like.

as for the poster who hypothesized that the westboro pieces of garbage are a left-wing plant, you know, that's just retarded. and it's getting really boring watching certain types of poster assign everything they dislike to "the left".

absolutely, totally.... retarded.

So justice Thomas got it right?

I see no one would answer my question, but I think we all know what the answer would be.

I doubt there would be much of a response at all because we probably would not even know about it. The media would not have cared. But, speaking just for me, I would find it as offensive as I do the protesting of soldiers.

Immie

Alito's words - But in staking out his lone dissent, Alito suggested that when publicly offensive speech is also -- and perhaps primarily -- personally painful, the Constitution doesn't protect it.

"Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote.

The article is here- Westboro Baptist Church Ruling: Dissenting Justice Samuel Alito Draws Free Speech Line

Not only that but we have never had absolutely free and unrestricted speech. For one thing, we cannot threaten others. "Free speech" has always been limited and should be. The question is, "is this one of those times"? The other eight felt that it was not the time while Alito felt that it was.

I struggle with this question because, I think WBC is a bunch of assholes (and that is coming from a Christian) but then again, as long as they are not hurting others, we should continue to guarantee their right to be assholes.

I like the idea of a buffer zone between them... the bigger the zone, the better.

Immie

Dude if they said those a-holes couldn't protest the funerals then that would mean the government could shut down any offensive protests such as Tea Party rallies or the current union protests in Wisconsin.

It wasn't a vote against the dead soldiers and their funerals it was a vote to uphold the very constitutional protections they died defending.

I dont like those westborough baptist cult people at all.

I agree with the decision.

It was desided the right way and I am proud of the right leaning court for their protection of speech.

Freedom of speech is a tough one to bare when you know the person speaking is out of their ever lovin minds.

You have to be willing to protect speech you hate to truely defend it correctly.

Now its time for the the Christain leaders to go talk some sense into these crazy peoples minds.

I agree with the decision.

It was desided the right way and I am proud of the right leaning court for their protection of speech.

Freedom of speech is a tough one to bare when you know the person speaking is out of their ever lovin minds.

You have to be willing to protect speech you hate to truely defend it correctly.

Now its time for the the Christain leaders to go talk some sense into these crazy peoples minds.

HOLY CRAP

We agree

Argh LOL

Alito seems to believe that if speech hurts someones feelings then it should be silenced. :cuckoo: Heres a justice that believes free speech should only be nice speech. Whenever someone says liberals want to silence free speech, Ill keep this article at the ready because this is a justice who can actually silence the nation, not just some random guy. This guy is crazy

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone.

My rights don't come from the government and there is no right to collective bargain. That's a privilege.

So when you are in court charged with a crime you did not committ where do you look for your rights to defend yourself?

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone.

My rights don't come from the government and there is no right to collective bargain. That's a privilege.

So when you are in court charged with a crime you did not committ where do you look for your rights to defend yourself?
The governments was created to insure rights not to give them and take them

You use laws and facts to defend yourself.

If by "poll" you mean disingenuous leading survey worded to support my position and degrade opposing positions, then no, let's not do a "poll". :thup:

Anyways, I believe Billy O has offered to pay the Snyders' legal fees.

I am against all hate speech morally, but I don't want one word of hate speech silenced governmentally. Like others have said, this viewpoint is anti-freedom of speech.

Like in this thread, we have some posters angry about this form of hate speech, but pretty much daily practice their own version of hate speech towards people who have a different religion or sexuality.

Don't read too much into this, but in the future if I'm worried about a family members funeral being picketed or ruined by these religious wackos I'll have the service inside and be buried somewhere they can't get to. I'M IN NO WAY SAYING IT'S THE SOLDIER'S FAMILY'S FAULT, but there's easier ways of fixing this problem than asking for even more government regulation on social issues.

An easy+peaceful solution for those people who are angry about this is to disrupt everything Westboro does. When they have a sermon protest outside making so much noise you ruin it. Fill their parking lots with your cars before they come, everyone has their limits but putting yourself in jail over something stupid like Westboro is pointless (although again like others have said, most ppl on here are just message board tough guys).

Forum List

Back