US Supreme Court Pisses on Dead US Soldiers

Who got the decision right, Alito or the 8 weenies??

• Alito has it right, there are in fact limits on free speech

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • The 8 pukes have it right, free speech is free speech, with no boundaries

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
The supremes voted 8 - 1 to disrespect dead US servicemen and in favor of talking ass-wipes. Not only that, but the dead soldiers family needs to pay for the ass-wipes' legal fees. They gave a son's life to defend the USSC and the US, and only Alito got the opinion right.

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Lets do a poll on who got it right, Alito or the pukes.
From your link:
They were kept 1,000 feet away from the church and because of the use of an alternative entrance for church-goers there was no disruption to the memorial.

Nice faux outrage, though. You have real troll potential

All it would take is a few good ass whoopens and these people would be thinking differently, it's just such a shame that most conservatives think more highly of the dead rather then the ass whoopen they would rather hand these turds, the ass whoopens would cure the issue,and rather quickly, as we have shown here in WV.

"Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote, adding that giving a family "a few hours of peace without harassment" would not undermine public debate.

Yet the court majority made plain that states may regulate funeral protests in some situations. Roberts observed that since the 2006 Snyder funeral, the Maryland Legislature has enacted a law prohibiting picketing within 100 feet of a funeral. Roberts also noted that Westboro's picketing would have complied with that restriction.

The chief justice said demonstrations may be regulated as long as laws are neutral — that is, not aimed at any particular views — and narrowly crafted.

In recent years, Congress and 46 states have enacted laws to minimize picketing near cemeteries during a funeral, according to a brief filed at the court by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and 40 other senators who sided with Snyder. They said state personal-injury laws, like the Maryland one Snyder invoked to sue Phelps, supplement government picketing restrictions.

On Wednesday, Reid expressed disappointment with the decision and said in a statement, "Emboldened by this unfortunate ruling, the Phelps family has pledged to redouble its efforts to harass military families during their darkest hour. I call on faith leaders from all communities to stand with me to denounce hate speech, including the kind used by these protesters."

As Margie Phelps, who represented her father and the other congregants in court, vowed to step up protests and challenges to government regulations on picketing, some local officials said they might try to strengthen "buffer zone" laws.

Westboro free speech ruling has its limits - USATODAY.com

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone.

My rights don't come from the government and there is no right to collective bargain. That's a privilege.

I believe that free speech should be respected but I can't believe that somebody could be a big enough asshole to disrupt somebody's funeral - especially when that someone died protecting your free speech rights.

Welcome to the world of dealing with progressives.
Wait... so now the Church of God Hates Fags is progressive? :eusa_eh:

And Beck is a Deep Cover Liberal, right?

Protecting funerals for military personnel against protesters is hardly a crack in the 1st Amendment. There should be limits of 1-mile or more, then they could have all the free speech they want. Its not the speech, its disrespecting the dead soldiers.
Keep the speech, but put a large enough buffer to protect the rights of privacy of others.

Disrespecting someone is not against the law.

I can say "Women should not be allowed in the workforce" and I can defend it by my beliefs that women should focus on child rearing instead of income. I disrespected women, but I have the rights to say it.

When you say disrespecting one group is illegal but disrespecting another group is legal is discrimination.

To be honest, I think Westboro was a leftwing plant for this reason, they wanted the court to go the other way but it didn't, if the supreme court would have outlawed this, they would have outlawed any type of decent in America when it comes to petitioning the government for a redress in grievance. This was a good decision by the court. Free speech applies to all, and free speech was given to us to protect unpopular speech, not popular speech. I give the SC kudos on this one.

Excellent, a new conspiracy theory!

Say what you want, but to outlaw unpopular free speech would have led to tea party rallies being broken up by the police. Maybe I see it from a different angle then you do, but I feel I am right here. I am also a disabled vet, just so you know.

It is not about outlawing anything. It is about respecting the Privacy of Mourners at a Funeral or Burial, allowing them space without disruption. I'm sorry, the solution here is not Rocket Science, it is keeping the Protest a respectable distance. You can't manage that, you should not be on the payroll.

The supremes voted 8 - 1 to disrespect dead US servicemen and in favor of talking ass-wipes. Not only that, but the dead soldiers family needs to pay for the ass-wipes' legal fees. They gave a son's life to defend the USSC and the US, and only Alito got the opinion right.

I wonder what would happen if the protesters targeted funerals for gay men who died of AIDS?

I see no one would answer my question, but I think we all know what the answer would be.

They are all right. If they cant say what they want, We cant say what we want. That's not to say Westbourogh cant be dealt with creatively.

I hate those bastards. They hate me as a liberal, I meant them while in school. They are really no one's friend.

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone. You can't take them away because you hate someone's opinion. If they obey the police perimeters, protest peacefully with no violence, they should have the right to do it.

The WBC does not have the right to bargain, collectively or otherwise.

I hate those bastards. They hate me as a liberal, I meant them while in school. They are really no one's friend.

But I respect their right to freedom of speech. Just like the right to collective bargain, the government gives those rights to everyone. You can't take them away because you hate someone's opinion. If they obey the police perimeters, protest peacefully with no violence, they should have the right to do it.

The WBC does not have the right to bargain, collectively or otherwise.

The point is government can give rights and then take them away. I don't like taking away anyone's rights. Because just like that Nazi quote can't think of the name but it went like this:

"I didn't speak up for the Jews, because I wasn't Jewish; then they came for me, but no one was around to speak up for me."

That quote makes me stick up for others because when I need someone to stick up for me, I will have people that will. Like I said, I met them in college. They were protesting, I tried to have a reasonable conversation, yeah didn't happen. But they don't like anybody to be honest. But I will defend their right to say it.

The 1st Amendment belongs to everybody. So does the ball bat. I think that comes under the 2nd Amendment. I can guarantee you if they pulled that BS at a Brothers furneral, they would be going down.

The 1st Amendment belongs to everybody. So does the ball bat. I think that comes under the 2nd Amendment. I can guarantee you if they pulled that BS at a Brothers furneral, they would be going down.

You should google up what happened when Westborough showed up at Mathew Sheperds funeral. They had a neet idea and it really pissed the church off and they left. As for hitting on them, there is no reason for a good man or woman to get sent to jail for stomping shit.

Well then, Hopefully this will shut up the nattering nabobs of incoherency always calling for Limbaugh, Hannity, __________ (fill in th blank) to be silenced.

I wonder what would happen if the protesters targeted funerals for gay men who died of AIDS?

Hello?

The Gov't. doesn't give you the right to free speech. They got the decision right but that doesn't make WBC right. If I was the father I would not pay the legal costs for the church.

i do love internet muscles... some of you wouldn't spew half the garbage you spout on a daily basis if you had to say it right to people who could punch you in the face.

Angel action,

"Gilmer and others are planning an "angel action" -- with 8- by 10-foot "angel wings" worn by participants to shield mourners from picketers. Angel actions were created by Coloradan Romaine Patterson, who was shocked to find the Topeka church and its neon signs outside the 1999 funeral of Matthew Shepard, a young gay man beaten and left on a fence to die in Laramie, Wyoming."

I remember when they showed up at Mat Shepherds funeral. Phelps cried and ran off. That quote was from an article about some of the folks who died when Gabby Giffords was shot. They were going to protest at the little girls funeral to.

I don't see how imposing a restraining order of 500 yards, as a consideration of the noise pollution, is a violation of Freedom of Speech???

I think the SC left that loophole. According to what I heard, a large part of the decision involved there not being a law on the books setting up parameters for what's permissible at a funeral. A carefully crafted law designed to protect privacy could then pass Constitutional muster.

Forum List

Back