US Justice Dept seeks to close loopholes on some gun sales

It sounds like a proper action. I always thought the federal definition of a firearms dealer was far too loose and subjective. In my opinion (for what little it is worth) if you are selling one or more guns to strangers, you are a dealer and should have a license. Of course, then you have to define strangers.
Congress should change the law, then. The DOJ doesn't have that power. Simple. Right?

I thought anyone who buys a gun at a gun show anywhere in the US still has to pass a background check before the sale is completed. What difference does it make whether the seller has an FFL license or not, as long as the gun is not an NFA item?

I thought anyone who buys a gun at a gun show anywhere in the US still has to pass a background check before the sale is completed. What difference does it make whether the seller has an FFL license or not, as long as the gun is not an NFA item?
If they are buying from an FFL dealer, yes.

If Joe Blow attends the show with a gun that he isn't interested in anymore and wants to sell it and use the money to buy something else, no.

If some guy with a few guns that he wants to sell, for whatever reason, no.

That being said, the non-FFL guys aren't going to show up with large inventories and won't be peddling the AR and AK platforms.

A buddy of mine sells militaria at gun shows. A few years ago he acquired two Spanish Mausers and an Italian Caracano carbine that he sold, without an FFL. All three are bolt action rifles. Like, so what?

So..interesting..appears to mainly affect part-timers, gun-show venders and the like:

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday proposed expanding the definition of firearms dealers who are required to obtain a federal license, implementing provisions included in last year's bipartisan gun safety law.
The proposed rule would require sellers to obtain a U.S. license if they "devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms," not just those who earn a "livelihood" from such sales, senior DOJ officials said.
The change means certain unlicensed sellers at gun shows and other places will now need to get licensed and run background checks on firearm buyers.
"An increasing number of individuals engaged in the business of selling firearms for profit have chosen not to register as federal firearms licensees, as required by law," Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Director Steven Dettelbach said.

"Instead, they have sought to make money through the off-book, illicit sale of firearms... This new proposed rule would clarify the circumstances in which a person is 'engaged in the business' of dealing in firearms."

Youtubers said it affects anyone selling a gun that makes a profit. They will need to get a FFL if they make a profit, even for 1 gun. That's their take...don't know if it accurate.

best thing.jpg

No I don't. I can sell all the cars I want without a license. What planet are you from?
No, you can't.
When they catch you, and they will, you will be charged with
FRAUD
Tax evasion and local charges.

But you go have fun while I giggle at you like a little girl..

No, you can't.
When they catch you, and they will, you will be charged with
FRAUD
Tax evasion and local charges.

But you go have fun while I giggle at you like a little girl..
Post a link to the Federal, or state application for a permit to sell cars.

Post a link to the Federal, or state application for a permit to sell cars.

How many cars can you buy and sell in Missouri without a dealers license?

six vehicles

In the State of Missouri individuals and businesses are allowed to sell up to six vehicles per year without a dealer license. If you sell more than six vehicles, you will need to get a dealer license for the type(s) of vehicles that you sell.

How many cars can you buy and sell in Missouri without a dealers license?

six vehicles

In the State of Missouri individuals and businesses are allowed to sell up to six vehicles per year without a dealer license. If you sell more than six vehicles, you will need to get a dealer license for the type(s) of vehicles that you sell.
So, as long as I don't sell more than seven cars, I'm good to go.

No! I'm not a sniveling, spineless democrat who grovels for The Party
I'm not either.

You must have really been posting your disagreement in these and/or other forums when he said he said that because you aren't spineless or anything...

Forum List

Back