US Justice Dept seeks to close loopholes on some gun sales

I thought anyone who buys a gun at a gun show anywhere in the US still has to pass a background check before the sale is completed. What difference does it make whether the seller has an FFL license or not, as long as the gun is not an NFA item?
If they buy it from a dealer they do. I believe that most gun shows require people with booths to be licensed dealers. The supposed “gun show loophole” is someone meeting a person looking for a gun inside the venue and then selling him one outside the venue where the rules don’t apply. That skirts the rules and tip toes right along the line of being a dealer by federal standards.

If they buy it from a dealer they do. I believe that most gun shows require people with booths to be licensed dealers. The supposed “gun show loophole” is someone meeting a person looking for a gun inside the venue and then selling him one outside the venue where the rules don’t apply. That skirts the rules and tip toes right along the line of being a dealer by federal standards.
here in missouri a private seller can get a small booth,,

So..interesting..appears to mainly affect part-timers, gun-show venders and the like:

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday proposed expanding the definition of firearms dealers who are required to obtain a federal license, implementing provisions included in last year's bipartisan gun safety law.
The proposed rule would require sellers to obtain a U.S. license if they "devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms," not just those who earn a "livelihood" from such sales, senior DOJ officials said.
The change means certain unlicensed sellers at gun shows and other places will now need to get licensed and run background checks on firearm buyers.
"An increasing number of individuals engaged in the business of selling firearms for profit have chosen not to register as federal firearms licensees, as required by law," Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Director Steven Dettelbach said.

"Instead, they have sought to make money through the off-book, illicit sale of firearms... This new proposed rule would clarify the circumstances in which a person is 'engaged in the business' of dealing in firearms."
This is an excellent example of libs replacing the legislative process with a banana republic dictatorship

The proposed new gun law did not pass congress so biden wants his flunkies in DOJ to impose it for him

This is an excellent example of libs replacing the legislative process with a banana republic dictatorship

The proposed new gun law did not pass congress so biden wants his flunkies in DOJ to impose it for him
The law was passed and signed into law--these are just the administrative rule changes proposed to bring the Govt. into compliance:

I thought anyone who buys a gun at a gun show anywhere in the US still has to pass a background check before the sale is completed. What difference does it make whether the seller has an FFL license or not, as long as the gun is not an NFA item?
Depends on the state. In states where all firearm transfers need to go thru an FFL even private sales at gun shows have to go thru one for a back ground check.

Plus, the amount of non FFL booths at a gun show have been inflated big time. Studies used by the left have included all types of things like knives, food, survival equipment, etc etc etc have been counted. Although they don’t sell firearms.

Bottom line, ALL gun sales should require a back ground check.

Full stop

Full stop
Bottom line:
You cannot demonstrate the necessity you claim for this requirement
You cannot demonstrate the constitutionality of this requirement
And you know it.
Full stop.

Last edited:
The proposed rule would require sellers to obtain a U.S. license if they "devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms,"

2nd Amendment aside, the terms above, are far too vague to have any legal meaning.

I considered selling two of my guns for 48 hours.
I drove 30 minutes to a gun show.
I walked around for 30 minutes
A guy came up to me, wanted to buy the guns; after a brief conversation, I sold them to him.

How does this NOT qualify as the devotion "time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms"?

Anti-gun loons want universal background checks because they know it leads to universal registration.
No one wonders why they want that.

Fuck you. No.

Last edited:
Depends on the state. In states where all firearm transfers need to go thru an FFL even private sales at gun shows have to go thru one for a back ground check.

Plus, the amount of non FFL booths at a gun show have been inflated big time. Studies used by the left have included all types of things like knives, food, survival equipment, etc etc etc have been counted. Although they don’t sell firearms.

The gov't could require FFLs at every gun show in every state and a background check prior to every sale of a gun, but the gun seller need not necessarily hold an FFL license. At $25 a whack an FFL could make some decent money over a weekend. But the question might be what difference it would make though, are there statistics that show higher gun violence in states that do not require a background check through an FFL at a gun show? If not, then what's the point, other than a political win for the democrats?

Full stop
There were no requirements prior to the GCA OF 1968. No FFLs. You could mail order a firearm and have it delivered to your door.

The issue with private sales was the poorly written provision that basically said you could sell a small amount of firearms as long as you didn’t earn your living from it.

It sounds like a proper action. I always thought the federal definition of a firearms dealer was far too loose and subjective. In my opinion (for what little it is worth) if you are selling one or more guns to strangers, you are a dealer and should have a license. Of course, then you have to define strangers.
Funny thing….The Fed Gov went about 140 years, from the bill of rights to the 1934, without implementing any type of gun laws.

Forum List

Back