US Jobless claims fall to 4 decade low

LOL...you're claiming that the minimum wage was increased in 1938? Really?
From 0. Yes, as I said, the first min. wage. And again in 1939, and 1945. Next.

So there wasn't an increase in the minimum wage because a minimum wage didn't EXIST! Correct?
So, you think from 0 to 3.98 is no increase? Do you think no one worked before 1938. You really do not care about workers, do you, oldstyle. Just con talking points.

Since minimum wage was enacted in 1938 and was 25 cents which translates to around $4 in 2012 dollars...what you call an increase of four dollars is only because there was no established minimum wage before then! Do you think people worked for zero before that law was put into effect?

Mostly, before that they pretty much did not work. Are you suggesting that there was no increase from 0 to $3.98? What it meant was that they could hire people, and did, at wages as low as a nickel per day. You know, under the republican great depression of 1929 when people were truly starving. You should really get a clue. Actual study of that time would help.
Here is a free primer, me ignorant con troll:
During the height of the Great Depression, 37 percent of all nonfarm workers were without jobs. It was a time when families fell apart and people lost their homes and farms. Farmers couldn't sell their crops, so more than 750,000 farms were lost to foreclosure and many people starved. Women and children found jobs where they could, and the men, whose job it was to support their families, felt useless when they had to rely on their families to support them.

The Depression brought with it a halt to industrial production and construction. African-American women were often the first to be laid off from domestic positions and white women took their places. Women found jobs as seamstresses, maids and servants. Many people also built toys from home for a salary of around $5 per week.
What were some of the jobs available during the Great Depression?

So, $5 per week was around 3 cents per hour. You really need to get a clue.

So now you're claiming people didn't work before the advent of a minimum wage? How stupid are you?

So there wasn't an increase in the minimum wage because a minimum wage didn't EXIST! Correct?
So, you think from 0 to 3.98 is no increase? Do you think no one worked before 1938. You really do not care about workers, do you, oldstyle. Just con talking points.

What I think is that establishing a 25 cent minimum wage isn't increasing wages from zero you buffoon! Unless you really think people did work for nothing?

Your claim that FDR took wages from zero to $3.98 is a total misrepresentation of the truth.

What I think is that establishing a 25 cent minimum wage isn't increasing wages from zero you buffoon! Unless you really think people did work for nothing?

Your claim that FDR took wages from zero to $3.98 is a total misrepresentation of the truth.

OK with me. If you think no minimum wage to a $3.98 minimum wage is not a major increase, from nothing to $3.98, then believe what you want. I know better, and all of our arguing will settle nothing. So, anything else or do you simply want to argue this point?

I got a lot of information about the great republican depression from those that lived through it. If you had said to them what you are now saying, you would need a coffin. I kid you not. My mother talked about loosing a dime in the snow near christmas. She cried still thinking about it. They worked for near nothing. So yes, dipshit, I consider it a total increase in the minimum wage. Ass hole. You simply think about it as a talking point. People were starving, dipshit. Starving. Get a grip.
But here is the good thing, ass hole. It really does not matter what you think it was.

I got a lot of information about the great republican depression from those that lived through it. If you had said to them what you are now saying, you would need a coffin. I kid you not. My mother talked about loosing a dime in the snow near christmas. She cried still thinking about it. They worked for near nothing. So yes, dipshit, I consider it a total increase in the minimum wage. Ass hole. You simply think about it as a talking point. People were starving, dipshit. Starving. Get a grip.
But here is the good thing, ass hole. It really does not matter what you think it was.

Gee whiz, Georgie! Your mother suffered through The Great Depression? Guess what? My grandparents did as well! How does that change the point that your claiming that FDR increased minimum wage from zero to $3.98 is a total misrepresentation of what really took place?

OK with me. If you think no minimum wage to a $3.98 minimum wage is not a major increase, from nothing to $3.98, then believe what you want. I know better, and all of our arguing will settle nothing. So, anything else or do you simply want to argue this point?

Only if you think the going rate for an entry level job was zero before 1938! Are you REALLY that stupid?

Gee whiz, Georgie! Your mother suffered through The Great Depression? Guess what? My grandparents did as well! How does that change the point that your claiming that FDR increased minimum wage from zero to $3.98 is a total misrepresentation of what really took place?

sorry you learned nothing from them. It was simple ass hole. They worked for next to nothing, and nearly nothing. So, fuck off.

Only if you think the going rate for an entry level job was zero before 1938! Are you REALLY that stupid?
There was no rate. so, while today, employers can pay the minimum wage. Legally. Then they could get them to work long hours, as children, and for nothing. The only protection they had was to refuse to work, while today they have a low level guaranteed. You lost this argument long ago. From now on, you can argue with yourself.

Perhaps I should bring back the arra arguments you were making, dipshit. I let it go long ago, but you were wrong. Here, we are arguing over your opinion. Dipshit.

There was no rate. so, while today, employers can pay the minimum wage. Legally. Then they could get them to work long hours, as children, and for nothing. The only protection they had was to refuse to work, while today they have a low level guaranteed. You lost this argument long ago. From now on, you can argue with yourself.

Perhaps I should bring back the arra arguments you were making, dipshit. I let it go long ago, but you were wrong. Here, we are arguing over your opinion. Dipshit. Loosing your home is below zero. Starving to death, or having your child starve to death, is below zero. PEOPLE WORKED FOR NEAR NOTHING. TODAY THE GOING WAGE IS ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE. BUT MINIMUM WAGE PROTECTS WORKERS A LITTLE. THEN, THEIR PROTECTION LEVEL WAS ZERO. AND THEIR GOING WAGE MEANS AND MEANT NOTHING. WHAT THEY HAD TO WORK FOR MEANT SOMETHING.

Perhaps I should bring back the arra arguments you were making, dipshit. I let it go long ago, but you were wrong. Here, we are arguing over your opinion. Dipshit.

There is always a going rate, Georgie! You really ARE that stupid...aren't you!

Thanks for the personal insult, since my name is not georgie.

Did you think that the minimum wage was the going rate. You really ARE that stupid...aren't you!

For your continued education, the going rate for contractors is typically $23 to $45 per hour, depending on location and type of contractor involved. Is that what you had in mind?

Did you think that the minimum wage was the going rate. You really ARE that stupid...aren't you!

For your continued education, the going rate for contractors is typically $23 to $45 per hour, depending on location and type of contractor involved. Is that what you had in mind?

The "going rate" is basically whatever a free market sets a price at. If the going rate for contractors is $23 dollars...that's what the market has set that going rate at! Minimum wage totally disrupts the going rate by artificially setting a base wage that people can't work for less even if they would like to.

You want to see first hand what artificially setting wage rates does to a free market? Study what took place in American Samoa when our Congress decided that even though they had a totally separate economy from ours...one in which the average Samoan made around $12,000 a year...that they should have the same minimum wage rate as the US. Unemployment there shot up from around 5% to over 30% and the Samoan political leadership BEGGED to be let out or our minimum wage because it was destroying their economy.

The "going rate" is basically whatever a free market sets a price at. If the going rate for contractors is $23 dollars...that's what the market has set that going rate at! Minimum wage totally disrupts the going rate by artificially setting a base wage that people can't work for less even if they would like to.

You want to see first hand what artificially setting wage rates does to a free market? Study what took place in American Samoa when our Congress decided that even though they had a totally separate economy from ours...one in which the average Samoan made around $12,000 a year...that they should have the same minimum wage rate as the US. Unemployment there shot up from around 5% to over 30% and the Samoan political leadership BEGGED to be let out or our minimum wage because it was destroying their economy.

That's terrible. I think I will avoid samoa, myself. You??
Now, march yourself on down to the construction workers union hall and tell them that there will be no more set rates of pay, and see if you can make it out of there in one piece. Or, try a group of those working on min wage of today and tell them there will be no more minimum wage. and they can be happy working for $6/hour. Same problem, me boy. You see, if you believe there is a free market today, you need to go back and try reading Adam Smith and let him explain to you what free market is.

While your at it, you will need to get rid of the Davis Bacon Act. Republicans have been trying to avoid it for decades:

"THE DAVIS-BACON ACT
PROTECTING WAGE EQUALITY SINCE 1931

Since its enactment in 1931, the Davis-Bacon Act (DBA) has provided critical wage protections for construction workers and has guaranteed a level playing field for construction contractors bidding on federal projects.

The federal government constructs buildings, builds dams, and funds housing projects. State highway departments pave roads with federal funds from the Federal Highway Administration. Local and state governments build water treatment plants, modernize schools, and renovate airports with the support of federal funds.

The DBA ensures that construction workers on federal or federally assisted construction projects will not see their wages and benefits undercut by government spending practices. The DBA exists to prevent the infusion of federal dollars into local communities from depressing local wages. DBA provides a wage floor that protects construction workers’ pay, and sets a level playing field for contractors who are bidding on federally funded projects. As important, these standards enable local contractors and their employees to compete for local projects by protecting against under-bidding by contractors from other areas who might import workers or offer the same jobs for less pay.

CONFORMANCES
The Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) determines locally prevailing wage and fringe benefit rates through the conduct of wage surveys on government contracts covered by the Davis-Bacon Act. Published wage determinations for each county in the country list the wages and benefits that have been found to be prevailing for each classification of worker for which there is sufficient wage payment data."
Frequently Asked Questions: Conformances - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

Hope you don't think this is a free market mechanism, me boy. Cause it is not. It is aimed at gov jobs, but tends to set rates for all kinds of contractors throughout the US, state by state.
Every contractor, and every company involved in contracting, knows of this law. Been around since 1931. Hoover admin law, due to major concerns of local workers having contractors bringing in workers that worked at very low rates. No free market here, just a reaction to free market abuses due to monopoly power.

Last edited:

Now, march yourself on down to the construction workers union hall and tell them that there will be no more set rates of pay, and see if you can make it out of there in one piece. Or, try a group of those working on min wage of today and tell them there will be no more minimum wage. and they can be happy working for $6/hour. Same problem, me boy. You see, if you believe there is a free market today, you need to go back and try reading Adam Smith and let him explain to you what free market is.

While your at it, you will need to get rid of the Davis Bacon Act. Republicans have been trying to avoid it for decades:

"THE DAVIS-BACON ACT

Since its enactment in 1931, the Davis-Bacon Act (DBA) has provided critical wage protections for construction workers and has guaranteed a level playing field for construction contractors bidding on federal projects.

The federal government constructs buildings, builds dams, and funds housing projects. State highway departments pave roads with federal funds from the Federal Highway Administration. Local and state governments build water treatment plants, modernize schools, and renovate airports with the support of federal funds.

The DBA ensures that construction workers on federal or federally assisted construction projects will not see their wages and benefits undercut by government spending practices. The DBA exists to prevent the infusion of federal dollars into local communities from depressing local wages. DBA provides a wage floor that protects construction workers’ pay, and sets a level playing field for contractors who are bidding on federally funded projects. As important, these standards enable local contractors and their employees to compete for local projects by protecting against under-bidding by contractors from other areas who might import workers or offer the same jobs for less pay.

CONFORMANCES
The Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) determines locally prevailing wage and fringe benefit rates through the conduct of wage surveys on government contracts covered by the Davis-Bacon Act. Published wage determinations for each county in the country list the wages and benefits that have been found to be prevailing for each classification of worker for which there is sufficient wage payment data."
Frequently Asked Questions: Conformances - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

Hope you don't think this is a free market mechanism, me boy. Cause it is not. It is aimed at gov jobs, but tends to set rates for all kinds of contractors throughout the US, state by state.
Every contractor, and every company involved in contracting, knows of this law. Been around since 1931. Hoover admin law, due to major concerns of local workers having contractors bringing in workers that worked at very low rates. No free market here, just a reaction to free market abuses due to monopoly power.

And one of the main reasons why we seldom ever see a job done by contractors for the government that doesn't end up costing much more than it should.

What does the DBA have to do with raising the minimum wage in the drastic manner you suggest should happen?

As for those union employees? What's telling about them, Rshermr is how many plumbers, electricians and carpenters who are union men and work for a set rate through the union are tickled pink if they can work out a cash deal under the table with someone who doesn't want to pay union scale!

The people that you'll need to talk to about minimum wage are the poor saps that will lose their low skill entry level jobs to a machine or downsizing! I wonder how thrilled they're going to be with your $15 an hour when they are making $0 dollars an hour because they got laid off?

"THE DAVIS-BACON ACT

CONFORMANCES

And one of the main reasons why we seldom ever see a job done by contractors for the government that doesn't end up costing much more than it should.

What does the DBA have to do with raising the minimum wage in the drastic manner you suggest should happen?

That is your interpretation. You are wrong.

The people that you'll need to talk to about minimum wage are the poor saps that will lose their low skill entry level jobs to a machine or downsizing! I wonder how thrilled they're going to be with your $15 an hour when they are making $0 dollars an hour because they got laid off?

That is your opinion. Time, me boy, will tell. Your opinion, by the way, is not likely to impress anyone but other con trolls. Since economists generally disagree, I think it much smarter to believe them,

That is your opinion. Time, me boy, will tell. Your opinion, by the way, is not likely to impress anyone but other con trolls. Since economists generally disagree, I think it much smarter to believe them,

The reason Economics is nicknamed "The Dismal Science" is that most economists can't agree period! Of course you don't have much of a choice but to believe someone, Georgie because you're too damned ignorant to figure it out yourself!

Forum List

Back