US aircraft carriers in worst shape in decades

My son is in the military and he sees the problems. Though he is so young it is ancient history to him I remind him of what Jimmy Carter did to our military and how Ronald Reagan rebuilt it.
Similar situation now.

And for you goofy leftists...the US is a naval power. And carriers are integral to that. It’s why other countries are trying to build carriers. New carriers. They arent obsolete. They are expensive as hell and require a naval tradition to operate which limits who can own them.

Last edited:
Considering the distance between the US and every other nation in carrier strength, I don't think this is a huge issue.

Japan and France each have 4 carriers. Italy, Australia, India and Egypt each have 2 carriers. Russia, China, UK, Spain, South Korea and Brazil each have 1 carrier.

That is a total of 22 carriers, worldwide, that are not under the US flag. The US has 20 carriers.

Japan, Australia, Egypt, Brazil have helicopter carriers. Big difference. It’s all they can afford. And probably all they need so long as America maintains a super carrier fleet.
China has no operating carriers. They can afford it but don’t have the naval tradition. They have been building and trying since 1998 and still have not successfully used a carrier for anything but practice. They hope to become players on the world stage with the US UK and Russia and so are actively building and pursuing. They will probably succeed eventually. But they recognize that no country with world interests cN maintain them without carriers.
And the UK, after dipping to one pitiful amphibious carrier have done two things right...kicked out their leftist Labor government and laid down three new carriers.

Tax cut economics are worthless if you right wingers can't cover spending.
There are no "tax cut economics" tovarich.....You're positively glacial on the uptake.
Yes, there are. We need wartime tax rates for any alleged, wartime economy.

Or, the Judiciary should not use allegations, when criticizing the People in open Court.

There are no "tax cut economics" tovarich.....You're positively glacial on the uptake.

Or, the Judiciary should not use allegations, when criticizing the People in open Court.

At least you're consistant. Consistantly wrong but consistant.

Only in your intellectually arrested mind do "tax cut economics" exist.

An entirely irrelevant diversion....But were I as wrong as you, as often as you are, I'd want to change the subject too.

Considering the distance between the US and every other nation in carrier strength, I don't think this is a huge issue.

Japan and France each have 4 carriers. Italy, Australia, India and Egypt each have 2 carriers. Russia, China, UK, Spain, South Korea and Brazil each have 1 carrier.

That is a total of 22 carriers, worldwide, that are not under the US flag. The US has 20 carriers.

Japan, Australia, Egypt, Brazil have helicopter carriers. Big difference. It’s all they can afford. And probably all they need so long as America maintains a super carrier fleet.
China has no operating carriers. They can afford it but don’t have the naval tradition. They have been building and trying since 1998 and still have not successfully used a carrier for anything but practice. They hope to become players on the world stage with the US UK and Russia and so are actively building and pursuing. They will probably succeed eventually. But they recognize that no country with world interests cN maintain them without carriers.
And the UK, after dipping to one pitiful amphibious carrier have done two things right...kicked out their leftist Labor government and laid down three new carriers.
Japan will be putting fighters on theirs or building carriers that will have them. Their carrier history is itching to revive

I think we can downsize them somewhat,... to me Navy isn't pursuing drone strike quickly enough. Very disappointed they turned good prototype into just a tanker. Could save some money by buying some D/E subs too instead of all nuke.

At least you're consistant. Consistantly wrong but consistant.
in what way? i can merely gainsay your contention. you need a valid argument to substantiate your currently unsubstantiated assertion.

An entirely irrelevant diversion....But were I as wrong as you, as often as you are, I'd want to change the subject too.
The right wing has no real agenda other than cutting taxes. Tax cut economics.

Not at all; There is no "war on crime, drugs, or terror" if the right wing refuses to pay wartime tax rates for them. Nothing but right wing propaganda concerning, Discretionary not Entitlement Spending.

Wars on crime, drugs, and terror require wartime tax rates, not tax cut economics.

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Repair Period Triples in Length; Carrier Will be in Yard Until 2019 - USNI News

ircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) will remain tied up in maintenance at Norfolk Naval Shipyard until early 2019, resulting in a maintenance availability about triple the expected six-month length.

Eisenhower is no stranger to overrun availabilities, after its last 14-month docked availability ran about 24 months. The carrier is the second oldest in the fleet at 41 years old – only outdone by lead ship USS Nimitz(CVN-68) at 43 years old – and has been among the hardest-run carriers in the fleet, contributing to its maintenance difficulties.

Navy officials would not elaborate on what specifically is causing the delay, but both the ship commanding officer and a Navy spokesman said the ship’s age is a factor.

Some of our carriers are reaching their life cycles.............and they will have to be replaced as the cost of keeping them going is rising. In regards to the IKE it turned a 6 month overhaul into a year and a half..............I could take a stab at why............best guess...........corrosion and metal fatigue.........aluminum upper deck cracking which has always been a major problem............and old wiring causing serious electrical faults..............

Most of our conflicts are 3rd world countries .......pirates...........yes ....pirates......and moving equipment and men to War Zones...........not to mention humanitarian relief around the globe............2 LHD's were assigned to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands during the hurricanes that destroyed the areas.........while a Carrier Battlegroup was on station for relief in the Florida keys......................

One thing to note........it takes a month to get on station across the globe.........one month to get back..........meaning the cycle to remain on station only lasts 4 months requiring 3 battlegroups a year to be on station at any given time unless you extend deployments...........usually this cycle is both east and west coast so that is 6 battlegroups a year for normal operation.............

This has been supplemented by the Gator Navy...............with ships like the 8 LHD's........which carry a Marine Air group. with Harriers, Apaches, and other helicopters to the air wing.......................There are 4 on Each coast...............also LHA's ...........which have air wings assigned..........I believe we still have 8 of them.................

Those are big oceans..............if we maintain a constant presence over seas along with more War.............we got to keep the numbers the way they are............as most conflicts are low grade..............the equation for new warfare would really only come into play in a war with China or Russia...........

Old ships must eventually be moth balled and replaced to maintain current commitments..........

Japan will be putting fighters on theirs or building carriers that will have them. Their carrier history is itching to revive

Oh yeah. The Japanese are sublime sailors. They will rebuild as China does and America retrenches.

I think we can downsize them somewhat,... to me Navy isn't pursuing drone strike quickly enough. Very disappointed they turned good prototype into just a tanker. Could save some money by buying some D/E subs too instead of all nuke.

Drones still need humans to pilot them. Our current policy of restricting drone pilots to qualified commissioned pilots is holding back the program. There are thousands of young people who've grown up on gaming consels who could easily move into those positions with a little training and supervision.

Most of our conflicts are 3rd world countries .......pirates...........yes ....pirates......and moving equipment and men to War Zones...........not to mention humanitarian relief around the globe............2 LHD's were assigned to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands during the hurricanes that destroyed the areas.........while a Carrier Battlegroup was on station for relief in the Florida keys......................

One thing to note........it takes a month to get on station across the globe.........one month to get back..........meaning the cycle to remain on station only lasts 4 months requiring 3 battlegroups a year to be on station at any given time unless you extend deployments...........usually this cycle is both east and west coast so that is 6 battlegroups a year for normal operation.............

This has been supplemented by the Gator Navy...............with ships like the 8 LHD's........which carry a Marine Air group. with Harriers, Apaches, and other helicopters to the air wing.......................There are 4 on Each coast...............also LHA's ...........which have air wings assigned..........I believe we still have 8 of them.................

Those are big oceans..............if we maintain a constant presence over seas along with more War.............we got to keep the numbers the way they are............as most conflicts are low grade..............the equation for new warfare would really only come into play in a war with China or Russia...........

Old ships must eventually be moth balled and replaced to maintain current commitments..........

Thank you. The new ships that carry planes and assult groups are going to be an important step in maintaining peace in today's world.

82497.jpg

The right wing has no real agenda other than cutting taxes. Tax cut economics.

Not at all; There is no "war on crime, drugs, or terror" if the right wing refuses to pay wartime tax rates for them. Nothing but right wing propaganda concerning, Discretionary not Entitlement Spending.

Wars on crime, drugs, and terror require wartime tax rates, not tax cut economics.

Exactly what is “wartime tax rates”?

Forum List

Back