US aircraft carriers in worst shape in decades

Considering the distance between the US and every other nation in carrier strength, I don't think this is a huge issue.

Japan and France each have 4 carriers. Italy, Australia, India and Egypt each have 2 carriers. Russia, China, UK, Spain, South Korea and Brazil each have 1 carrier.

That is a total of 22 carriers, worldwide, that are not under the US flag. The US has 20 carriers.

The US does not have 20 carriers, We have 11. Japan doesn't even have one. France has one, not four. Italy has two, and India has one,.Egyptian aircraft carrier? South Korea has a carrier? What are you smoking?

Where did you dig up such bullshit stats? They are laughable!

List of aircraft carriers - Wikipedia

You must be an Alabama grad!

Most of our conflicts are 3rd world countries .......pirates...........yes ....pirates......and moving equipment and men to War Zones...........not to mention humanitarian relief around the globe............2 LHD's were assigned to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands during the hurricanes that destroyed the areas.........while a Carrier Battlegroup was on station for relief in the Florida keys......................

One thing to note........it takes a month to get on station across the globe.........one month to get back..........meaning the cycle to remain on station only lasts 4 months requiring 3 battlegroups a year to be on station at any given time unless you extend deployments...........usually this cycle is both east and west coast so that is 6 battlegroups a year for normal operation.............

This has been supplemented by the Gator Navy...............with ships like the 8 LHD's........which carry a Marine Air group. with Harriers, Apaches, and other helicopters to the air wing.......................There are 4 on Each coast...............also LHA's ...........which have air wings assigned..........I believe we still have 8 of them.................

Those are big oceans..............if we maintain a constant presence over seas along with more War.............we got to keep the numbers the way they are............as most conflicts are low grade..............the equation for new warfare would really only come into play in a war with China or Russia...........

Old ships must eventually be moth balled and replaced to maintain current commitments..........

LHA's? 8 of them? Incorrect!

I don't know where you got the number 8, There is just 1! USS America (LHA-6). Notice the number 6, that is after they decommed all 5 Tarawa class LHAs.

I think we can downsize them somewhat,... to me Navy isn't pursuing drone strike quickly enough. Very disappointed they turned good prototype into just a tanker. Could save some money by buying some D/E subs too instead of all nuke.

Drones still need humans to pilot them. Our current policy of restricting drone pilots to qualified commissioned pilots is holding back the program. There are thousands of young people who've grown up on gaming consels who could easily move into those positions with a little training and supervision.

My nephew is a Sergeant and a drone pilot for the US Army. Your data is incorrect,

BTW, the word is "console".

Aircraft carriers as we know them are antiquated. And with the rising prevalence of hypersonic missile technology; are an unnecessary risk. Both to our men, and our military in general. Development of UAV carriers would be more reasonable.

When did ISIS get hypersonic missiles?
Who the fuck said anything about ISIS? Ohh... That’s right... No one...

Most of our conflicts are 3rd world countries .......pirates...........yes ....pirates......and moving equipment and men to War Zones...........not to mention humanitarian relief around the globe............2 LHD's were assigned to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands during the hurricanes that destroyed the areas.........while a Carrier Battlegroup was on station for relief in the Florida keys......................

One thing to note........it takes a month to get on station across the globe.........one month to get back..........meaning the cycle to remain on station only lasts 4 months requiring 3 battlegroups a year to be on station at any given time unless you extend deployments...........usually this cycle is both east and west coast so that is 6 battlegroups a year for normal operation.............

This has been supplemented by the Gator Navy...............with ships like the 8 LHD's........which carry a Marine Air group. with Harriers, Apaches, and other helicopters to the air wing.......................There are 4 on Each coast...............also LHA's ...........which have air wings assigned..........I believe we still have 8 of them.................

Those are big oceans..............if we maintain a constant presence over seas along with more War.............we got to keep the numbers the way they are............as most conflicts are low grade..............the equation for new warfare would really only come into play in a war with China or Russia...........

Old ships must eventually be moth balled and replaced to maintain current commitments..........

A few of your points need correction.

LHA's? 8 of them? I don't know where you got the number 8, There is just 1! USS America (LHA-6). Notice the number 6, that is after they decommed all 5 Tarawa class LHAs. My last ship was LHA-4.

The USMC Harriers are being replaced with the F-35B. My nephew is a avionics tech for the F-35B at MCAS Yuma.

Last edited:
Aircraft carriers as we know them are antiquated. And with the rising prevalence of hypersonic missile technology; are an unnecessary risk. Both to our men, and our military in general. Development of UAV carriers would be more reasonable.

Who has hypersonic missiles that were are fighting? If you think we will ever get in a shooting war with the Russians or Chinese, you had best think again.

Right now, our carriers are fighting ISIS and to a lesser extent the Taliban.

Where are those UAVs going to fly from? Aircraft carriers. You just destroyed your own argument.

Who has hypersonic missiles that were are fighting? If you think we will ever get in a shooting war with the Russians or Chinese, you had best think again.

Where are those UAVs going to fly from? Aircraft carriers. You just destroyed your own argument.
Russia and China are both a threat. And their missiles can be stolen. The only assurance of not being attacked; is to update and modify our tech, and tactics according to what could be brought to bear against us. Japan wasn’t a threat till they bombed Pearl Harbor...

No. Your failure to comprehend, doesn’t destroy any argument. It just means you don’t have one.

I think we can downsize them somewhat,... to me Navy isn't pursuing drone strike quickly enough. Very disappointed they turned good prototype into just a tanker. Could save some money by buying some D/E subs too instead of all nuke.

Ever ridden a D/E boat on the surface while recharging batteries?

Of course you haven't!

I have. Noisy as hell. But turn off those diesels and submerge and you are the quietest boat in the water.

Russia and China are both a threat. And their missiles can be stolen. The only assurance of not being attacked; is to update and modify our tech, and tactics according to what could be brought to bear against us. Japan wasn’t a threat till they bombed Pearl Harbor...

Stolen? Yes, the missiles can be stolen, but that does not give you the capability to transport, launch and target the missiles, now does it?

I wish you armchair warriors would give it a rest and let the professionals make the decisions. You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Much has been made about China's ballistic missile carrier killer. There is just one small problem. Carriers move,!

Targeting becomes a massive problem. Carriers are big to you, but they move and relative to the ocean, they are microscopic.

Stolen? Yes, the missiles can be stolen, but that does not give you the capability to transport, launch and target the missiles, now does it?

I wish you armchair warriors would give it a rest and let the professionals make the decisions. You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Much has been made about China's ballistic missile carrier killer. There is just one small problem. Carriers move,!

Targeting becomes a massive problem. Carriers are big to you, but they move and relative to the ocean, they are microscopic.
You should take your own advice. Times and technology are changing daily. And it’s dangerous to presume that we know all of what our enemy possesses, and it’s capabilities. UAVs are the future of aerial combat. As such they deserve at the very least, a system designed from the ground up, to launch and support them. One with considerably less crew, higher mobility, and a decrease in support vessels to ensure their protection.

Ever ridden a D/E boat on the surface while recharging batteries?

Of course you haven't!

I have. Noisy as hell. But turn off those diesels and submerge and you are the quietest boat in the water.

You have? When and where? I am throwing the bullshit flag on that comment!

You can submerge and crawl along at speeds that most surface ships will easily outrun you, and then you will eventually have to recharge again, making you vulnerable near the surface. You know that aircraft can easily see you even when snorkeling, right?

You should take your own advice. Times and technology are changing daily. And it’s dangerous to presume that we know all of what our enemy possesses, and it’s capabilities. UAVs are the future of aerial combat. As such they deserve at the very least, a system designed from the ground up, to launch and support them. One with considerably less crew, higher mobility, and a decrease in support vessels to ensure their protection.

You still haven't answered my question. You just fed me more bullshit. Go back and read it again.

Less crew? How do you accomplish that when the same amount of crew is required for the UAVs?

Higher mobility? You know nothing about aircraft carriers, do you?

Support vessels? Like what? UAV carriers won't need supplies? They won't need fuel for the UAVs? They will not be vulnerable to submarines? They won't have the same vulnerabilities to air attack?

You need to stop pontificating and leave the decisions to those who are educated on the topic and not playing armchair admiral.

No. Your failure to comprehend, doesn’t destroy any argument. It just means you don’t have one.

I understand perfectly and have the experience to understand why you are simply outclassed in this discussion. I was in the Navy and served on everything from submarines to carriers. Why don't you realize that?

You still haven't answered my question. You just fed me more bullshit. Go back and read it again.

Less crew? How do you accomplish that when the same amount of crew is required for the UAVs?

Higher mobility? You know nothing about aircraft carriers, do you?

Support vessels? Like what? UAV carriers won't need supplies? They won't need fuel for the UAVs? They will not be vulnerable to submarines? They won't have the same vulnerabilities to air attack?

You need to stop pontificating and leave the decisions to those who are educated on the topic and not playing armchair admiral.
Again... you should heed your own advice. You’re stuck in the past. Your making broad assumptions about new tech, while applying old standards. No one here considers you an authority on the matter; so feel free to drop the faux condescension.

I understand perfectly and have the experience to understand why you are simply outclassed in this discussion. I was in the Navy and served on everything from submarines to carriers. Why don't you realize that?
For one... Because it’s the internet. For two I have no reason to believe your claim. Additionally I never settle for “appeal to authority”. That’s never a valid argument. And finally unless your currently engaged in R&D for the future naval tech... Whatever experience you may have once had is at least 20 years old.

Last edited:
WWII brought us out of the Great Depression.....
No, it didn't....It merely shifted the focus away from the fact that all of FDR's meddling and tinkering not only didn't end the depression, it actually made it worse.....Any small gains in economic expansion during the war were nearly all gobbled back up by the ensuing recession, which was caused by cancelled orders, industrial retooling, and war businesses that went belly up.

Forum List

Back