Until all have heard

Exodus 32:27
27 He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says, 'Every man fasten his sword to his side; go back and forth through the camp from entrance to entrance, and each of you kill his brother, his friend, and his neighbor.
28 The Levites did as Moses commanded, and about 3,000 men fell dead that day among the people. 29 Afterwards Moses said, "Today you have been dedicated [e] to the LORD, since each man went against his son and his brother. Therefore you have brought a blessing on yourselves today." (Q)

This verse has always been especially troubling to me, It is hard to believe 3000 throats were slit for worshiping the Golden Calf and God was okay with it. Let me ask you this.

why should this verse bother you, these people turned against god. does the verse (if thy right hand offend thee cut it off ) bother you too?

I think that if you believe the bible is inerrant, then you have to acknowledge that it specifically says god commanded moses to do so. What about god himself sending bears to maul 40 children simply for calling Elisha "baldy"? To borrow from Monty Python, "the Lord was a rotten bastard."

But if you think about the "god" presented in the bible in context with other ancient deities, then you see he fits in nicely. Many ancient gods were capricious and flawed and quick to anger. But such ideas are considered shallow and part of an outdated culture of religious belief to be dismissed. Many marvel at how the ancients could believe in amorous Zeus, stormy Ba'al, the risen Osiris, and capricious Odin. They don't realize that Yahweh is just like those gods, but with a coat of philosophical make-up covering his face to "modernize" him.

Of course, the real problem here is believing the Bible to be inerrant when it makes no such claim.

I think that if you believe the bible is inerrant, then you have to acknowledge that it specifically says god commanded moses to do so. What about god himself sending bears to maul 40 children simply for calling Elisha "baldy"? To borrow from Monty Python, "the Lord was a rotten bastard."

But if you think about the "god" presented in the bible in context with other ancient deities, then you see he fits in nicely. Many ancient gods were capricious and flawed and quick to anger. But such ideas are considered shallow and part of an outdated culture of religious belief to be dismissed. Many marvel at how the ancients could believe in amorous Zeus, stormy Ba'al, the risen Osiris, and capricious Odin. They don't realize that Yahweh is just like those gods, but with a coat of philosophical make-up covering his face to "modernize" him.

Of course, the real problem here is believing the Bible to be inerrant when it makes no such claim.

And I realize that everyone believes it is- but to those who don't believe it is inerrant, what criteria do you use to determine which parts are true and which parts are in error?

why should this verse bother you, these people turned against god. does the verse (if thy right hand offend thee cut it off ) bother you too?

Cain also turned against God. What was God's reported response?

I believe Moses did what He did there, because it was His Will, not God's. What was the reason given for Moses not being aloud to step foot in the promised land? Kicking his foot against a rock in anger, because of the stubbornness of the people? Which act do you consider more extreme? Kicking a Rock or Corrupting the Priest Class with Blood?

Just a note

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven :eusa_whistle:
Wow!!

That describes Muslims and their plight all around the world.

I guess even the Bible acknowledges that Muslims are the true inheriters of Heaven. :eusa_angel:

'falsely' is the key word in that verse that ruins it for you.

Just a note

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven :eusa_whistle:
Wow!!

I guess even the Bible acknowledges that Muslims are the true inheriters of Heaven. :eusa_angel:

And just like the verse says.

You are falsely saying evil against me.

Making my case even stronger. :eusa_angel:

Wow!!

And just like the verse says.

You are falsely saying evil against me.

Making my case even stronger. :eusa_angel:

I'm not saying anything against you.

'and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely'

What is falsely being said about the Muslim religion?

Forum List

Back