Unions Hold California Hostage

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
One of the biggest stories in politics earlier this year was about California's budget teetering on the edge of a $42-billion deficit abyss. It only staved off insolvency when its legislature ended three months of gridlock to pass a budget with steep tax hikes and spending cuts. Guess what the Obama Administration is doing? It is telling Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger that it will revoke nearly $7 billion in federal stimulus money unless the state restores legislated wage cuts for unionized health-care workers.

Obama Administration to federalism: Drop dead.

In its budget deal, California agreed to $74 million in wage cuts for unionized home health-care workers. The Service Employees International Union huffed to the higher power in Washington, which duly agreed to hold California's stimulus hostage.

Governor Schwarzenegger has sent a letter asking the feds to reconsider, noting the cuts were taken in response to "an unprecedented fiscal crisis." Even now the state faces an estimated cash-flow problem of some $17 billion by July.

Demoting California - WSJ.com

This is just crazy. Its bad enough that California is already a basket case, but the unions and the Obama administration are making it far more difficult for the state to bail itself out.

In other news, French will become a required language in California and DC.

The left does NOT CARE. Some of us WARNED you people what was going to happen.

No one is home on the left to hear the warnings RGS.... they're so full of oblahma kook aide, their brain has turned to mush, just like that Hulu commercial says.

Unions vs. Taxpayers - WSJ.com

It's not as if we haven't seen this coming. When the movement among public-sector workers to unionize began gathering momentum in the 1950s, some critics, including private-sector labor leaders such as George Meany, observed that government is a monopoly not subject to the discipline of the marketplace. Allowing these workers -- many already protected by civil-service law -- to organize and bargain collectively might ultimately give them the power to hold politicians and taxpayers hostage.
But the real power of the public sector is showing through in this economic crisis. Some five million private-sector workers have lost their jobs in the last year alone, and their unemployment rate is above 9% according to the BLS. By contrast, public-sector employment has grown in virtually every month of the recession, and the jobless rate for government workers is a mere 2.8%. For anyone who thinks such low unemployment numbers are good news, remember that the bulging public sector must be paid for with revenues that most governments don't currently have. This is one reason for a spate of state and local tax increases, such as $5 billion in tax increases New York state passed in April, and $12 billion in tax increases California's legislature agreed to in February that will only become law if voters pass a series of ballot initiatives next week.

In the private sector such efforts will still be subject to the demands of the marketplace. Employers who are too generous with pay and benefits will be punished. In the public sector, however, more union members means more voters. And more voters means more dollars for political campaigns to elect sympathetic politicians who will enact higher taxes to foot the bill for the upward arc of government spending on workers. That will be the pattern for the indefinite future unless taxpayers find a way to roll back the enormous power public workers have acquired

the only sector seeing below average job losses AND above average pay raises is the only sector that produces nothing of value and for which we as taxpayers foot the bill

yay unions

We care about American wages, American workers and American jobs.

You can't send jobs out of the country fast enough.

If its a choice between paying Americans more or sending jobs overseas, corporations will choose to send jobs overseas.

So take away the option.

You right wingers don't seem to get it that this is an assault on labor.

Fuck your protectionism/isolationism. Every other country does it to a degree, except us.

Now we're in charge, and I hope Obama doesn't cave to the corporations.

So far, it seems he has. Part of GM's restructuring plan calls for sending jobs overseas. And they already cut the workers wages.

Enough is enough.

Too bad you don't care about the American companies that make the other three possible, that is why you never get anywhere.

We care about them because they make us money.

They don't care about us because we cost them too much money.

PS. I hope you care for your company when they cut your pay $10K a year and jack up your healthcare costs. Sucker.

If its a choice between paying Americans more or sending jobs overseas, corporations will choose to send jobs overseas.

So take away the option.

Fuck your protectionism/isolationism. Every other country does it to a degree, except us.

So far, it seems he has. Part of GM's restructuring plan calls for sending jobs overseas. And they already cut the workers wages.

Enough is enough.

Let's have it your way BoooBoo. We'll ALL work for the government. We'll ALL get big fat pay raises every year because government pay is not subject to market forces.

it will be democrat nirvana. The government pays everyone one week then takes taxes from everyone to pay them the next week. The perpetual self sustaining tax. it doesn't matter that government employees produce nothing of any value all that matters is that government employees get higher and higher pay every year no matter what the economy is doing.

You cannot be pro-jobs and anti-business.

So take away the option.

Reading about the history of unions and labor movements, etc. is illuminating and less known part of the national story. The democratization of a work force does similar things again and again, helps workers enjoy a better life, and keep companies from exploiting (as much).

In latin America they are moving towards more worker-owned co-operatives and democracy these days - and seem to be liking the results.

So take away the option.

Enough is enough.

Let's have it your way BoooBoo. We'll ALL work for the government. We'll ALL get big fat pay raises every year because government pay is not subject to market forces.

it will be democrat nirvana. The government pays everyone one week then takes taxes from everyone to pay them the next week. The perpetual self sustaining tax. it doesn't matter that government employees produce nothing of any value all that matters is that government employees get higher and higher pay every year no matter what the economy is doing.

You dummy, Americans NOW aren't producing anything. There is no GDP without a DOMESTIC PRODUCT. What do we make? We've been warning you about your side turning us into a service society.

There is no end to your way. Or there is. It is when the masses are poor. When people realize this, they vote against you. And you are as right wing as the come.

I don't want to work for the government. In fact, isn't that all that Bush's job growth was all about? Blackwater, Haloburton, government contracts, bank bailouts. The only profits made under Bush were fake. Housing, oil and healthcare. You ripped us off!!

Only your way we socializes the losses and privatize all the profits. So your rich buddies that you slave for get rich and the country goes broke. And you don't benefit, yet you are the biggest cheerleader. Stupid.

And your healthcare free marketeers have shown how scared they are of a government healthcare. They won't even allow them a seat at the table. They know it would crush your private healthcare providers, even though you have scared the audience into thinking government will fuck it up even worse.

That's impossible. Do I want the government in between me and my doctor? No, but thats not nearly as scary as a FOR PROFIT company being in between us and they are trying to maximize their profits at my expense. And they have jacked up the costs 191% since 2001. Right about when Bush took over.

Bottom line is that your way costs much much more and turns out to be not so effective. Plus your way is risky.

So take away the option.

Enough is enough.

You dummy, Americans NOW aren't producing anything. There is no GDP without a DOMESTIC PRODUCT. What do we make? We've been warning you about your side turning us into a service society.

There is no end to your way. Or there is. It is when the masses are poor. When people realize this, they vote against you. And you are as right wing as the come.

I don't want to work for the government. In fact, isn't that all that Bush's job growth was all about? Blackwater, Haloburton, government contracts, bank bailouts. The only profits made under Bush were fake. Housing, oil and healthcare. You ripped us off!!

Only your way we socializes the losses and privatize all the profits. So your rich buddies that you slave for get rich and the country goes broke. And you don't benefit, yet you are the biggest cheerleader. Stupid.

And your healthcare free marketeers have shown how scared they are of a government healthcare. They won't even allow them a seat at the table. They know it would crush your private healthcare providers, even though you have scared the audience into thinking government will fuck it up even worse.

That's impossible. Do I want the government in between me and my doctor? No, but thats not nearly as scary as a FOR PROFIT company being in between us and they are trying to maximize their profits at my expense. And they have jacked up the costs 191% since 2001. Right about when Bush took over.

Bottom line is that your way costs much much more and turns out to be not so effective. Plus your way is risky.

hey ding dong. A product does not have to be a thing that is manufactured. A product can be a new design, an improved process, a computer program etc.

And you conveniently forget that your democratic heroes all voted to socialize losses as you say. So admit it and stop whining about GWB.

And please tell me. What is "my way"?

You mean the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it? that way?

you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives is risky?

No you're not a left wing wacko barking moonbat at all.

Last edited:

So take away the option.

Reading about the history of unions and labor movements, etc. is illuminating and less known part of the national story. The democratization of a work force does similar things again and again, helps workers enjoy a better life, and keep companies from exploiting (as much).

In latin America they are moving towards more worker-owned co-operatives and democracy these days - and seem to be liking the results.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

I had my own idea for a new union. Anyone who wants to join can for $1 a year, or something like that. And if a company is deemed as a "bad company", not treating its employees right, then we all boycot that company until they change their ways.

Totally haven't thought out every detail. This is just an idea of how labor/workers across the country could join together in solidarity.

No need to strike. Our buying power will be our instrument.

One of the biggest stories in politics earlier this year was about California's budget teetering on the edge of a $42-billion deficit abyss. It only staved off insolvency when its legislature ended three months of gridlock to pass a budget with steep tax hikes and spending cuts. Guess what the Obama Administration is doing? It is telling Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger that it will revoke nearly $7 billion in federal stimulus money unless the state restores legislated wage cuts for unionized health-care workers.

Obama Administration to federalism: Drop dead.

In its budget deal, California agreed to $74 million in wage cuts for unionized home health-care workers. The Service Employees International Union huffed to the higher power in Washington, which duly agreed to hold California's stimulus hostage.

Governor Schwarzenegger has sent a letter asking the feds to reconsider, noting the cuts were taken in response to "an unprecedented fiscal crisis." Even now the state faces an estimated cash-flow problem of some $17 billion by July.

Demoting California - WSJ.com

This is just crazy. Its bad enough that California is already a basket case, but the unions and the Obama administration are making it far more difficult for the state to bail itself out.

In other news, French will become a required language in California and DC.

Why don't you say what you really mean. Labor is holding American Corporations down.

hey ding dong. A product does not have to be a thing that is manufactured. A product can be a new design, an improved process, a computer program etc.

And you conveniently forget that your democratic heroes all voted to socialize losses as you say. So admit it and stop whining about GWB.

You mean the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it? that way?

you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives is risky?

You still deny that the US not manufacturing anything is a problem. :cuckoo:

We voted to socialize the losses, but we were not the ones who said we should privatize all the profits, which is what caused us the losses. Deregulating the banks/wallstreet/mortgage industries.

And what is your way? The right wing Republican way. The kind of people who have been brainwashed with talk like this (the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it & you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives) while their party leaders rape the treasury and instead of raising your taxes to pay for it, they just rack up the debt.

Your way is the sucker way. I can't believe you guys lost the last two elections so badly and yet you are still sticking to the same talking points.

(the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it? that way?

you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives )

Its like I'm back in the fucking 90's. Are you fucking serious?

So take away the option.

I had my own idea for a new union. Anyone who wants to join can for $1 a year, or something like that. And if a company is deemed as a "bad company", not treating its employees right, then we all boycot that company until they change their ways.

Totally haven't thought out every detail. This is just an idea of how labor/workers across the country could join together in solidarity.

Del is speechless. :lol:

Del is speechless. :lol:

hopefully it's contagious.

You still deny that the US not manufacturing anything is a problem. :cuckoo:

We voted to socialize the losses, but we were not the ones who said we should privatize all the profits, which is what caused us the losses. Deregulating the banks/wallstreet/mortgage industries.

And what is your way? The right wing Republican way. The kind of people who have been brainwashed with talk like this (the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it & you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives) while their party leaders rape the treasury and instead of raising your taxes to pay for it, they just rack up the debt.

Your way is the sucker way. I can't believe you guys lost the last two elections so badly and yet you are still sticking to the same talking points.

(the government taking less of our money so that we can decide where, when, if and how to spend, save or invest it? that way?

you believe that letting people keep more of their own money and getting government out of our lives )

Its like I'm back in the fucking 90's. Are you fucking serious?

According to the government, the u.s.a does have manufactoring output (http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/prod4.pdf). US manufactoring has shown increased productivity gains.

Five minutes of research might help your diatribe.

We care about them because they make us money.
No, you don't.

They don't care about us because we cost them too much money.
They don't care about you because you are overpriced and under productive.

PS. I hope you care for your company when they cut your pay $10K a year and jack up your healthcare costs. Sucker.
I'll put what I made 10 years ago against what you make now, and mine pot is still bigger.

Keep dreaming those Karl Marx Champaign dreams, without business there is no economy.

Forum List

Back