Unemployment claims drop to three and a half year low

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Dec. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Fewer Americans filed applications for unemployment benefits over the past month than at any time in the past three years, a sign the U.S. labor market is on the mend heading into the new year.

The four-week moving average for claims, a less volatile measure than the weekly figures, dropped to 375,000 last week, the lowest level since June 2008, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington.

Jobless Claims in U.S. Drop to Three-Year Low in Past Month - Businessweek

Woah there Horty none of that thinkin stuff its bad for the campaign. We report statistics, leave the facts to the amateurs.

Disingenuous threads like this are why none takes faggots like Chris seriously.....

Ever stop and think (rhetorical question) that maybe the number of claims are down because the number of people no longer eligible to receive benefits has risen??
:lol:

People don't file applications for continuing benefits. Applications are filed when people make their first attempt to start collecting benefits.

LOL. Now don't mention that to ol' Driven. He may pop a gasket.

The 'Conservatives' pray daily for more Americans to be out of work. Keep millions of Americans out of work to put one man out of a job.

Well, assholes, he will be out of that job 20Jan17.

Poll Date Sample Approve Disapprove Spread
RCP Average 12/14 - 12/28 -- 46.2 48.8 -2.6
Gallup 12/26 - 12/28 1500 A 41 50 -9
Rasmussen Reports 12/26 - 12/28 1500 LV 45 55 -10
CNN/Opinion Research 12/16 - 12/18 1015 A 49 48 +1
ABC News/Wash Post 12/15 - 12/18 1005 A 49 47 +2
CBS News 12/14 - 12/18 992 A 47 44 +3

Hence why this thread is disingenuous propaganda, rockhead.....

It's your messiah and democrats that turn their backs when there is an opportunity to really create jobs.......

Ever stop and think (rhetorical question) that maybe the number of claims are down because the number of people no longer eligible to receive benefits has risen??

People don't file applications for continuing benefits. Applications are filed when people make their first attempt to start collecting benefits

Cash workers can't file. Seasonal workers don't have enough time on the job.
Then you add in the people that have used up all their benefits.
Don't forget to factor in people too wrapped up in the Holiday season to get around to filing.

Wait until next month when all our NG troops have to file because they came home to find their job is gone.

:eusa_whistle:

People don't file applications for continuing benefits. Applications are filed when people make their first attempt to start collecting benefits

Don't forget to factor in people too wrapped up in the Holiday season to get around to filing.

Wait until next month when all our NG troops have to file because they came home to find their job is gone.

Keep hoping. You know it really makes you look bad - wishing unemployment on returning soldiers.

The good news - for the rest of us - is you can't actually hurt the economy by wishing it was bad.

What's your point? Did I say that overall unemployment was down? All I did was point out that the rationale you offered could not explain the drop in applications. I do think it's a good sign. But that's about all we have right now, and honestly I've grown disillusioned with all the good signs that pop up, just to be followed with three more bad signs. I'm not getting my hopes up until the economy melts down entirely and we're all tossed back to stone age finances.

From global warming to class warfare, old rockhead is a fountain of ignorance and misinformation ... :thup:

What's your point? Did I say that overall unemployment was down? All I did was point out that the rationale you offered could not explain the drop in applications. I do think it's a good sign. But that's about all we have right now, and honestly I've grown disillusioned with all the good signs that pop up, just to be followed with three more bad signs. I'm not getting my hopes up until the economy melts down entirely and we're all tossed back to stone age finances.

And that's exactly the frame of mind I posted in.
I can't help being skeptical of "good" numbers knowing that there are so many factors that can turn them right back to bad.

(I do get your point about new apps, btw)
:cool:

Dec. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Fewer Americans filed applications for unemployment benefits over the past month than at any time in the past three years, a sign the U.S. labor market is on the mend heading into the new year.

The four-week moving average for claims, a less volatile measure than the weekly figures, dropped to 375,000 last week, the lowest level since June 2008, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington.

Did Obama phone this in from a golf course somewhere, asswipe?

Did Obama phone this in from a golf course somewhere, asswipe?

Why does an improving economy make you angry?

Forum List

Back