Unemployed Need Not Apply

Be it right or wrong, companies are in business to make a profit, and the people most qualified to help with that mission will get the job.

And how do you propose to support this assertion? What makes you so sure that the "most qualified" person gets the job? What if the most qualified person has been unemployed for the past two years because, despite his individual capabilities, he showed great devotion to his previous company and did everything he could to prevent it from going bankrupt? Your claim is about as good as a religious dogma. Perhaps that's the problem in this country today. We've now moved into the time of worshiping the church of the corporation.

If he's been out of work for 2yrs he isn't very resourceful, or motivated, and likely isn't the best candidate for the job.

Be it right or wrong, companies are in business to make a profit, and the people most qualified to help with that mission will get the job.

And how do you propose to support this assertion? What makes you so sure that the "most qualified" person gets the job? What if the most qualified person has been unemployed for the past two years because, despite his individual capabilities, he showed great devotion to his previous company and did everything he could to prevent it from going bankrupt? Your claim is about as good as a religious dogma. Perhaps that's the problem in this country today. We've now moved into the time of worshiping the church of the corporation.

If he's been out of work for 2yrs he isn't very resourceful, or motivated, and likely isn't the best candidate for the job.

Exactly.

Well, let me be patient and try to explain to an anti-capitalist.

Based on my time in HR and now as a Career and Technical Education instructor, a candidate with a steady work history, technical and education qualifications, solid references, a good interview, and agreeable personality, will be a good fit in the hiring company or agency.

You can throw all kinds of variables and scenarios in, but your "religious dogma" comment is about as good as your knowledge of this topic. Go find something that you know about and jump in on that.

And you say that based on what? In a world where jobs are increasingly scarce, the fact that someone's been unemployed does not really say anything about their ability to do a job. How is someone supposed to become employed when there are fewer and fewer jobs?

The widespread opposition on the Right to extending unemployment benefits, for starters.

The Right's widespread support for employers who want to exclude the unemployed from applying for jobs.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about extending unemployment benefits for unlimited time frames during times of debt. Something has to be done to push our law makers to drop some the laws that prohibit the businesses from hiring. Everyone is at a standstill waiting for the other to make a move.

People are not taking jobs below their grade to get by, pushing the gov't to issue more checks and resulting in a lower tax base. We haven't had such a dire situation in a long time. Sacrificing may have to be the answer. I don't want to see the people starve, but just when are where do we stop?

Is it just the right who fails to employ the unemployed? That has to stop!

While unemployment benefits are still being given, take that chance and volunteer somewhere and get noticed by the powers the hire. Perhaps a hokey idea, but it may work somewhere.

What laws, specifically, prohibit businesses from hiring?

Peter Schiff, the CEO of Euro Pacific Capital, told a House subcommittee he was fined $15,000 for hiring too many brokers at his brokerage firm. And of course, there are the legal costs. Imagine that, a penalty for creating jobs.

How One CEO Was Punished for Hiring Too Many Employees - Interviews - On the Record - Fox News

"Unemployed Need Not Apply", that is the mantra going around with some employers, hoping to snag the best candidates for their own employees. Politicians, hoping to combat such practices are toying with the idea of making a law to prohibit the practice, but that would likely be futile attempt for the employers would simply stop announcing it , leaving the policy in tact.

What would be the answer for a very employable potential grade A loyal candidate do in circumstances such as that? Why not go to an interview, tell them you are presently unemployed but you are eager to work for the company and willing to volunteer your services to demonstrate your sklls and value as a company man?

Talk about standing out from the bunch! Who would do that? Some one desperate for a job and confident he could demonstrate to company officials that he is worth the perceived risk that they feared. My bet is he would get that job before going on to hire anyone else.

Think outside the box. These times require it.

What employers are having problems with is two years of blank space on a job application not two years of unemployment. I would not hire anyone who sat on there behinds fort two years, definitely not anyone who proudly called them selves 99 weekers.

As an employer would you want to hire a guy who sat on his ass until his unemployment ran out or one who has been employed?

Better yet would you rather hire the guy who was on the dole for two years or the guy who got laid off and found work as quickly as possible?

What employers are having problems with is two years of blank space on a job application not two years of unemployment. I would not hire anyone who sat on there behinds fort two years, definitely not anyone who proudly called them selves 99 weekers.

You know what, I do resumes for people, and that's a lot more common than you think. The fact is, there aren't jobs out there right now.

One gal I know went on Maternity leave in 2009, she's just getting back into the workforce now. I know people who've worked somewhere for 15 years who get laid off or let go.

The economy is a mess, and both parties are to blame.

The hardest thing in this kind of situation is that if you get laid off in a recession, if you work again, it will be for less money. Lots of people have a problem with that, and rightfully so.

So next November, we'll have a choice between the guy who is clueless on how to create jobs, and the guy who made his fortune putting people out of theirs...

Some choice.

As an employer would you want to hire a guy who sat on his ass until his unemployment ran out or one who has been employed?

Better yet would you rather hire the guy who was on the dole for two years or the guy who got laid off and found work as quickly as possible?

What I've found is that places don't like to hire the unemployed regardless of how long they've been off. They conclude that the employer considered you dead weight and got rid of you, fair or not.

They actually prefer to steal someone else's workers. Which is kind of crazy, because if someone will jump ship for more money, they'll do the same to you if someone offers them more money.

And you say that based on what? In a world where jobs are increasingly scarce, the fact that someone's been unemployed does not really say anything about their ability to do a job. How is someone supposed to become employed when there are fewer and fewer jobs?

Based on there is no excuse for a healthy individual to be out of work for 2yrs, none. Make all the excuse you want, I don't care, but I'm not hiring that unmotivated individual without any resourcefulness.

In a universe where every job opportunity has six or seven folks seeking it, any blemish on one's employment history is bound to be a problem.

In this case, I have to say that I cannot blame the employers for being highly selective.

Of course that does disadvantage those who are unemployed and seeking work.

And that makes for a self fulfilling prophecy, too doesn't it?

The candidate must be bum because he doesn't have a job and he cannot get a job to prove otherwise.

Most discharged veterans are unemployed when they're looking for a new job in civilian life. That must be quite a feeling for them to see an 'unemployed need not apply' sign.

Most discharged veterans are unemployed when they're looking for a new job in civilian life. That must be quite a feeling for them to see an 'unemployed need not apply' sign.

While that can be easily explained, the fact remains that the unemployment rate among veterans of military service is quite a bit higher than the national average.

That is disturbing on its face, but the reasons and cures are the same as for anyone else looking for a job.

In order for a candidate to be hired, they must meet the requirements that the employer is looking for. Experience and education are two elements that lots of veterans lack if they only did one enlistment. The advice to the ones under my tutelage is to make sure the employer, university, etc. "sees the differences in you and the competition." Someone earlier in this thread mentioned volunteering and was laughed at. I'm a believer in volunteer service as it fulfills emotional needs and it fills up resume space. There are also numerous other ways to set ones self apart from the others who are trying to get the scarce jobs. It is tough out there right now but the determined can prevail.

"Unemployed Need Not Apply", that is the mantra going around with some employers, hoping to snag the best candidates for their own employees. Politicians, hoping to combat such practices are toying with the idea of making a law to prohibit the practice, but that would likely be futile attempt for the employers would simply stop announcing it , leaving the policy in tact.

What would be the answer for a very employable potential grade A loyal candidate do in circumstances such as that? Why not go to an interview, tell them you are presently unemployed but you are eager to work for the company and willing to volunteer your services to demonstrate your sklls and value as a company man?

Talk about standing out from the bunch! Who would do that? Some one desperate for a job and confident he could demonstrate to company officials that he is worth the perceived risk that they feared. My bet is he would get that job before going on to hire anyone else.

that's all well and good for a student or someone just out of school. most people can't afford to run around to a job they aren't getting paid to be at.

i'm also not sure if it affects unemployment insurance at all...

grown ups shouldn't have to be slave labor.

that's all well and good for a student or someone just out of school. most people can't afford to run around to a job they aren't getting paid to be at.

I was thinking in terms that the individual was geting Unemployment Insurance at the time. But if it comes to sitting at home or being productive, and possibly showing your skills, I would be better off doing the latter.

I was thinking in terms that the individual was geting Unemployment Insurance at the time. But if it comes to sitting at home or being productive, and possibly showing your skills, I would be better off doing the latter.
As would most responsible folks.

i know. i saw where you were going with it. :)

when i was in college and law school, i did my time interning. no one will higher an older person who works for free. they'd take their free labor and then send them on their way.

finding a job is a full time job, imo. and companies shouldn't be encouraged to suck the life out of people for free. in my experience, companies don't pay when they get things for free.

Last edited:

when i was in college and law school, i did my time interning. no one will higher an older person who works for free. they'd take their free labor and then send them on their way.

finding a job is a full time job, imo. and companies shouldn't be encouraged to suck the life out of people for free. in my experience, companies don't pay when they get things for free.

Perhaps I'm just more optimistic. I don't see most people taking advantage of others that way. My experiences may have been different than yours.

Perhaps I'm just more optimistic. I don't see most people taking advantage of others that way. My experiences may have been different than yours.

They can not take advantage that way. It is illegal.

Forum List

Back