Uncovered Women

My family are Pentecostal.
There is a time and place for everything.
My wife won't wear pants to Church and all the women's dresses are ankle length.
I don't see it as controlling, but then again I have never heard a direct sermon on the subject as to the whys.
(I married into it;) )
It is merely humbling one's self before God......no gaudy jewelry or make up, etc...

(house full....distracted to keep a strong point.....reply if unclear)
:cool:

Here's a question for you. I had several classmates who were pentecostal. They did not stand or pledge to the flag, and the girls didn't cut their hair or nails. Their clothes looked more like garbs than dresses as most looked homemade and not well suited to their body types. I still see these families out. I also see menonite families whose women go only slightly more extreme than the pentecostal women.

BUT the thing I notice with the menonites ANd the pentecostals is that the men dress conventionally in purchased shirts and taylored pants. So what gives. Why do you make your women look like old plough horses while you, yourself dress like the stud muffin?
Hey....if ya got it flaunt it, right?! :tongue:

Just teasing!! :D

Like I said, I married into the faith so I don't know all the ins and outs.
I don't see "sharp-dressed men" at our church, with the exception of me as that's the only "church clothes" I have - my manager uniform.
I was raised Baptist/Methodist
I know there are more 'cult'ish Church of God believers that are more sola'scipture, not leaving much to interpretation.

I'm not sure of any Biblical command for the attire. Maybe it's more of a handed-down tradition.

You've piqued my interest, though.
I think I'll have a talk with our minister tomorrow and get back with ya'll.
:cool:

Yeah, get back with us on the evils of women wearing something besides an ugly costume.

If I'd known all it took to keep lunatics like Sunshine away I would have gone with plain garb a long, LONG time ago.

Sunshine just pmmed me to tell me to tone it down or somebody might think I'm threatening...

I think that sort of sounds like a threat....

Our church is in a pretty rural town so nobody really dresses real fancy.
'Most' of the women dress the most plain for church, though you still never see them with alot of bling or makeup.
Grandad used to say, "It's take a lot of fertilizer to make up for poor top soil"

I ran a large agency in Kansas some years back that included a very large, nice indoor pool. I was approached by a super conservative fundamentalist Christian girls' school who wanted to rent our pool to provide swimming lessons for their students. However, they stipulated that none of our male employees would be present when the girls were in their swimming attire and we would close the viewing balcony and cover any windows through which anyone would peek. They did agree to allow our female lifeguards to be present to teach and to guard. (I will probably go to hell, but I chose not to inform them that a couple of those gals were lesbian. :))

The girls arrived in their long sleeved blouses tucked into ankle length skirts. Bonnets on their heads. Sensible shoes. They did wear conservative but modern one piece swim suits. We got through the swimming lessons and all passed at basic intermediate level.

But as old fashioned and archaic as their customs were, I had an occasion to visit with some of these girls, most especially those in my class. Most were very pretty, intelligent, soft spoken, extremely courteous and well mannered, and you look into their eyes and you see self assurance and happiness. I don't know any other way to describe them.

I still chose to have a live and let live world. There's room for all of us.

The following is our family's understanding of what God has revealed to us in His Word. We do not intend for anyone to interpret this as an extra-biblical mandate; it is simply our response to what we see in scripture.

Biblically, the principles in scripture indicate that a woman of any age is never to be uncovered. She is either a daughter of a father, or the wife of a husband. And in some circumstances a believing woman is under the headship of the elders in a biblically-functioning church. (Headship and covering meaning under the oversight and authority and care of.)

The authority of a father over the unmarried daughter does not and should not change when they reach a certain age--though our modern society will try to tell us differently! This covering is not to be a drudge or a weight upon the shoulders of a daughter (or wife), but one that should be embraced whole-heartily with gratefulness and appreciation. It has such rich blessings and is a treasure. An unmarried woman who finds peace and contentment under her father's covering now will find an even greater peace and contentment being under her godly husband's covering. We are to be joyfully submissive and appreciate this headship just like we are to joyfully submit to Christ's headship.

Biblical Vision for Daughters over 20? - Being Virtuous Women

There are many examples of female submssion/male patriarchalism in religions around the world (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism--particularly fundamentalist LDS). What do you think of the opinions above? Are women the property/responsibility/subordinates of men, required by God to submit to the headship of a man (their father or husband)? Do women require the oversight of a man in order to be in line with God's will for their lives? Is this concept workable in a modern era?

Or, are such teachings abusive and barbaric?

I simply LOVE America!

Google Search: Christian Nudists

I ran a large agency in Kansas some years back that included a very large, nice indoor pool. I was approached by a super conservative fundamentalist Christian girls' school who wanted to rent our pool to provide swimming lessons for their students. However, they stipulated that none of our male employees would be present when the girls were in their swimming attire and we would close the viewing balcony and cover any windows through which anyone would peek. They did agree to allow our female lifeguards to be present to teach and to guard. (I will probably go to hell, but I chose not to inform them that a couple of those gals were lesbian. :))

The girls arrived in their long sleeved blouses tucked into ankle length skirts. Bonnets on their heads. Sensible shoes. They did wear conservative but modern one piece swim suits. We got through the swimming lessons and all passed at basic intermediate level.

But as old fashioned and archaic as their customs were, I had an occasion to visit with some of these girls, most especially those in my class. Most were very pretty, intelligent, soft spoken, extremely courteous and well mannered, and you look into their eyes and you see self assurance and happiness. I don't know any other way to describe them.

I still chose to have a live and let live world. There's room for all of us.

The penticostal churches I know around here seem to have much better looking men than women. They really don't NEED those garbs. They are bad enough as they are.

The following is our family's understanding of what God has revealed to us in His Word. We do not intend for anyone to interpret this as an extra-biblical mandate; it is simply our response to what we see in scripture.

Biblically, the principles in scripture indicate that a woman of any age is never to be uncovered. She is either a daughter of a father, or the wife of a husband. And in some circumstances a believing woman is under the headship of the elders in a biblically-functioning church. (Headship and covering meaning under the oversight and authority and care of.)

The authority of a father over the unmarried daughter does not and should not change when they reach a certain age--though our modern society will try to tell us differently! This covering is not to be a drudge or a weight upon the shoulders of a daughter (or wife), but one that should be embraced whole-heartily with gratefulness and appreciation. It has such rich blessings and is a treasure. An unmarried woman who finds peace and contentment under her father's covering now will find an even greater peace and contentment being under her godly husband's covering. We are to be joyfully submissive and appreciate this headship just like we are to joyfully submit to Christ's headship.

Biblical Vision for Daughters over 20? - Being Virtuous Women

There are many examples of female submssion/male patriarchalism in religions around the world (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism--particularly fundamentalist LDS). What do you think of the opinions above? Are women the property/responsibility/subordinates of men, required by God to submit to the headship of a man (their father or husband)? Do women require the oversight of a man in order to be in line with God's will for their lives? Is this concept workable in a modern era?

Or, are such teachings abusive and barbaric?

I simply LOVE America!

Google Search: Christian Nudists

If you have read the Old Testament, women - Jewish women- did big important things. And they got credit for them too. Everything was cool with women and the church until that androgynous apostle Paul came along.

Last edited:
The dress, the veiling of Godly women is a type of preservation... In America our women are not veiled with clothe, but yet 'we' are also spiritually blind within many levels. :(

I personally prefer the more conservative type dress and more plain appearance but because I am a pale blonde and most anything much makes me appear 'made up' and a bit 'fake'. When I am with my husband because he favors make up and fashion, I dress in the ways that please him. It isn't enslavement, it is what I happily do.

I cringe at how our daughters within America do not seem to be taught about basic modesty or the reasons for such. It isn't stone henge. There are genuine reasons that should matter. One thing about our society that proves to be a major issue among our youth is self-image. Perhaps if more was to be understood about the reasons for modest dressing it wouldn't be so.

Last edited:
Those who choose to retain it, however old fashioned, barbaric, or misogynistic it appears to most of us, have every right to choose what they choose and indeed may be happy and fufilled in doing so.

Those who choose to reject it should have full protection of the law and respect for our unalienable right to choose our own path regardless of any who would deny us that.

If we covet tolerance for who we choose to be, we have to be tolerant of those who choose differently.

I agree. On another board, I posted with a woman who was into total power exchange with her husband. They'd been together for several years. Frankly, at first, it pissed me off that a woman would give up so much control over her life to a man, particularly when women (including me) have fought so hard to be treated as equals on the job, and at home. But, she was HAPPY. She chose that life, and that sort of relationship with her partner.

And, I realized, after a while, that I had no right to determine for her how her life should be. I could not call myself a feminist without saying that feminism means that every woman has a right to determine how she will live life, on her terms. She had a right to choose her life, for herself, and while I would never want that for me, it really was none of my business.

That's basically what I think about Sunni and his wife. If that arrangement works for them, and she is okay with it, then that is her (and his) choice. I don't like it, I wouldn't want it, I lived for years in a situation with a man who tried to dominate me using the Bible as justification and it was awful, but it was my choice to live like that. When I finally got miserable enough to put a stop to it, I was surprised to discover that it was something that was within my control all along. I could ALWAYS have chosen to stop it, it was completely under my control.

When it comes down to stuff like this, people's marriages and private relationships, it is not my choice how other people live. Frankly, it's none of my damn business.

There were a group of women who attacked her, repeatedly, on that particular forum, to the point that she finally left. It made me so angry. They attacked her because they were feminists and they find her lifestyle sickening. It made me furious that they didn't even understand the hypocrisy of their own behavior.

We can't expect tolerance from other people if we aren't willing to extend it. I want tolerance for my own beliefs. Hence, I have to tolerate even views I don't particularly like.

I know, we all know women are there to flaunt their bodies for strangers like you to ogle.

Nice.

BTW, I'm female, you loon.

Why shouldn't women do this if they want to? How are you harmed by other women dressing in ways that make them happy? Personally, I love vintage clothes and the sexy secretary look as exemplified by Mad Men. If someone doesn't like the way I dress, they can feel free to politely fuck right off.

Those who choose to retain it, however old fashioned, barbaric, or misogynistic it appears to most of us, have every right to choose what they choose and indeed may be happy and fufilled in doing so.

Those who choose to reject it should have full protection of the law and respect for our unalienable right to choose our own path regardless of any who would deny us that.

If we covet tolerance for who we choose to be, we have to be tolerant of those who choose differently.

I agree. On another board, I posted with a woman who was into total power exchange with her husband. They'd been together for several years. Frankly, at first, it pissed me off that a woman would give up so much control over her life to a man, particularly when women (including me) have fought so hard to be treated as equals on the job, and at home. But, she was HAPPY. She chose that life, and that sort of relationship with her partner.

And, I realized, after a while, that I had no right to determine for her how her life should be. I could not call myself a feminist without saying that feminism means that every woman has a right to determine how she will live life, on her terms. She had a right to choose her life, for herself, and while I would never want that for me, it really was none of my business.

That's basically what I think about Sunni and his wife. If that arrangement works for them, and she is okay with it, then that is her (and his) choice. I don't like it, I wouldn't want it, I lived for years in a situation with a man who tried to dominate me using the Bible as justification and it was awful, but it was my choice to live like that. When I finally got miserable enough to put a stop to it, I was surprised to discover that it was something that was within my control all along. I could ALWAYS have chosen to stop it, it was completely under my control.

When it comes down to stuff like this, people's marriages and private relationships, it is not my choice how other people live. Frankly, it's none of my damn business.

There were a group of women who attacked her, repeatedly, on that particular forum, to the point that she finally left. It made me so angry. They attacked her because they were feminists and they find her lifestyle sickening. It made me furious that they didn't even understand the hypocrisy of their own behavior.

We can't expect tolerance from other people if we aren't willing to extend it. I want tolerance for my own beliefs. Hence, I have to tolerate even views I don't particularly like.

It becomes EVERYONE'S business when sharia law is being promoted in the US. And if you catch up you will see where Sunni is advocating sharia for Casey Anthony. I remember circa 1960 when Nikita Kruschev said that my (our) grandchildren would live under communism. If I had to choose between communism and sharia, I'd choose communism in a New York minute.

Tolerance does not have to include converting the US to sharia. But anyone who argues in favor of OUR system of jurisprudence gets bitch slapped back to the stone age. That is not tolerance. That is ignorance. I've been to the middle east. I've been to China. Give me China over the middle east any day. But best of all give me our own flawed but wonderful system.

It becomes EVERYONE'S business when sharia law is being promoted in the US. And if you catch up you will see where Sunni is advocating sharia for Casey Anthony. I remember circa 1960 when Nikita Kruschev said that my (our) grandchildren would live under communism. If I had to choose between communism and sharia, I'd choose communism in a New York minute.

Tolerance does not have to include converting the US to sharia. But anyone who argues in favor of OUR system of jurisprudence gets bitch slapped back to the stone age. That is not tolerance. That is ignorance. I've been to the middle east. I've been to China. Give me China over the middle east any day. But best of all give me our own flawed but wonderful system.

Muslims make up 2% of this country. The odds of Shariah law being implemented in the U.S. is completely nil. Not only do they not have the voice or power to force anything here, their views hold zero difference from the people who want to use Biblical law. People have a right to want things here. They even have a right to promote things, as any American does. But, our constitutional protections will never allow the use of Sharia. Based upon that, I see no reason not to let them rant and dream and flail and look stupid.

Sunni wasn't promoting sharia law, in that thread. He was talking about how precious his wife is to him (much more precious than a wristwatch).

Before you assume what I do and don't know about Sunni, why don't you take a minute or a week and see how I post?

Muslims make up 2% of this country. The odds of Shariah law being implemented in the U.S. is completely nil. Not only do they not have the voice or power to force anything here, their views hold zero difference from the people who want to use Biblical law. People have a right to want things here. They even have a right to promote things, as any American does. But, our constitutional protections will never allow the use of Sharia. Based upon that, I see no reason not to let them rant and dream and flail and look stupid.

Sunni wasn't promoting sharia law, in that thread. He was talking about how precious his wife is to him (much more precious than a wristwatch).

Before you assume what I do and don't know about Sunni, why don't you take a minute or a week and see how I post?

I'm pretty sure there was a time when Europeans only made up 2% of this country. So your point is silly and moot.

Edited to add: It must be WONDERFUL to be more precious than a wristwatch. :lmao:

Forum List

Back