Uncovered Women

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
The following is our family's understanding of what God has revealed to us in His Word. We do not intend for anyone to interpret this as an extra-biblical mandate; it is simply our response to what we see in scripture.

Biblically, the principles in scripture indicate that a woman of any age is never to be uncovered. She is either a daughter of a father, or the wife of a husband. And in some circumstances a believing woman is under the headship of the elders in a biblically-functioning church. (Headship and covering meaning under the oversight and authority and care of.)

The authority of a father over the unmarried daughter does not and should not change when they reach a certain age--though our modern society will try to tell us differently! This covering is not to be a drudge or a weight upon the shoulders of a daughter (or wife), but one that should be embraced whole-heartily with gratefulness and appreciation. It has such rich blessings and is a treasure. An unmarried woman who finds peace and contentment under her father's covering now will find an even greater peace and contentment being under her godly husband's covering. We are to be joyfully submissive and appreciate this headship just like we are to joyfully submit to Christ's headship.

Biblical Vision for Daughters over 20? - Being Virtuous Women

There are many examples of female submssion/male patriarchalism in religions around the world (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Mormonism--particularly fundamentalist LDS). What do you think of the opinions above? Are women the property/responsibility/subordinates of men, required by God to submit to the headship of a man (their father or husband)? Do women require the oversight of a man in order to be in line with God's will for their lives? Is this concept workable in a modern era?

Or, are such teachings abusive and barbaric?

Last edited:
  • Banned
My favorite kind.

I thought some of you would enjoy the title.

lol I like your pic. Is there a passage in the bible that deals with covering up?

There are verses in the new testament that say that a woman should cover herself while praying (generally thought of as involving a veil). However, in this sense, it's the covering of male headship and authority over women which is being discussed.

p.s. You can probably guess that I am NOT a "covered woman."

Last edited:
My family are Pentecostal.
There is a time and place for everything.
My wife won't wear pants to Church and all the women's dresses are ankle length.
I don't see it as controlling, but then again I have never heard a direct sermon on the subject as to the whys.
(I married into it;) )
It is merely humbling one's self before God......no gaudy jewelry or make up, etc...

(house full....distracted to keep a strong point.....reply if unclear)
:cool:

I thought some of you would enjoy the title.

lol I like your pic. Is there a passage in the bible that deals with covering up?

There are verses in the new testament that say that a woman should cover herself while praying (generally thought of as involving a veil). However, in this sense, it's the covering of male headship and authority over women which is being discussed.

I guess my point is that if covering is demanded by god it would't be a matter of submitting to god not to man. I don't judge anyone who wants to cover or uncover.

In a nation that recognizes unalienable rights, among which is the right to one's own religious or philosophical faith or belief with no fear that the government will reward or fail to reward or will punish or retaliate in any way for such faith or belief . . . .

. . . .in such a nation the fundamental right to rear one's children in the parents' faith or belief is sacrosanct. The only exception would be if the child is being clearly harmed in any way and there would have to be visible proof of that. Such 'harm' must not be based on anybody elses convictions, perceptions, beliefs, or religion.

Also in such a religion, once a person reaches the age of majority, he or she is free to retain or reject the teachings of his/her parents.

Those who choose to retain it, however old fashioned, barbaric, or misogynistic it appears to most of us, have every right to choose what they choose and indeed may be happy and fufilled in doing so.

Those who choose to reject it should have full protection of the law and respect for our unalienable right to choose our own path regardless of any who would deny us that.

If we covet tolerance for who we choose to be, we have to be tolerant of those who choose differently.

Regardless of how uncomfortable it makes people, hierarchies exist and are necessary for harmony in the world. When we undermine the bible and traditional values, things start to crumble and what was a perfectly reasonable when everybody was on the same page, no longer seems to have a place in a chaotic and nonsensical world.

The bible says that people would eventually begin to claim they have more knowledge than the faithful and that they will laugh at and accuse the faithful of the very things their own behavior has brought about. They will debase what is holy, and hold up as holy that which is profane.

We see it every day.

My wife won't wear pants to Church and all the women's dresses are ankle length.
I don't see it as controlling, but then again I have never heard a direct sermon on the subject as to the whys.
(I married into it;) )
It is merely humbling one's self before God......no gaudy jewelry or make up, etc...

Here's a question for you. I had several classmates who were pentecostal. They did not stand or pledge to the flag, and the girls didn't cut their hair or nails. Their clothes looked more like garbs than dresses as most looked homemade and not well suited to their body types. I still see these families out. I also see menonite families whose women go only slightly more extreme than the pentecostal women.

BUT the thing I notice with the menonites ANd the pentecostals is that the men dress conventionally in purchased shirts and taylored pants. So what gives. Why do you make your women look like old plough horses while you, yourself dress like the stud muffin?

We notice it more when women dress plainly than when men do, as modern conservative dress for men is not all that different from modern everyday dress for men.

Plain conservative clothing for women really stands out when you consider how outrageous today's styles are, and how far they go to sexualize women and girls.

I guess my point is that if covering is demanded by god it would't be a matter of submitting to god not to man. I don't judge anyone who wants to cover or uncover.

001.jpg

Speak for yourself.

We notice it more when women dress plainly than when men do, as modern conservative dress for men is not all that different from modern everyday dress for men.

Plain conservative clothing for women really stands out when you consider how outrageous today's styles are, and how far they go to sexualize women and girls.

These women are not wearing plain conservative dress. They are dowdy and damned dowdy at that! Those dresses are nothing but ugly garbs.

GroupHugAP_468x495.jpg

THIS is consevative dress for women:

women-business-suit-3.s600x600.jpg

Your women look like ole plug mules in comparrison.

Last edited:
(I married into it;) )

Here's a question for you. I had several classmates who were pentecostal. They did not stand or pledge to the flag, and the girls didn't cut their hair or nails. Their clothes looked more like garbs than dresses as most looked homemade and not well suited to their body types. I still see these families out. I also see menonite families whose women go only slightly more extreme than the pentecostal women.

BUT the thing I notice with the menonites ANd the pentecostals is that the men dress conventionally in purchased shirts and taylored pants. So what gives. Why do you make your women look like old plough horses while you, yourself dress like the stud muffin?
Hey....if ya got it flaunt it, right?! :tongue:

Just teasing!! :D

Like I said, I married into the faith so I don't know all the ins and outs.
I don't see "sharp-dressed men" at our church, with the exception of me as that's the only "church clothes" I have - my manager uniform.
I was raised Baptist/Methodist
I know there are more 'cult'ish Church of God believers that are more sola'scipture, not leaving much to interpretation.

I'm not sure of any Biblical command for the attire. Maybe it's more of a handed-down tradition.

You've piqued my interest, though.
I think I'll have a talk with our minister tomorrow and get back with ya'll.

Yeah, it's so sensible to run around doing housework and watching children in 3-piece men suits with low cut shells under the jacket.

Thanks for showing your intolerance.

Yeah, it's so sensible to run around doing housework and watching children in 3-piece men suits with low cut shells under the jacket.

Thanks for showing your intolerance.

And you think those tacky garbs are suitable for doing housework in?

Neg me all you want bubba. The truth hurts. It is YOU who is intolerant. Of women. WTF are you so afraid of if they look stylish. That they might find a man with a brain or something? :lmal:

I know, we all know women are there to flaunt their bodies for strangers like you to ogle.

Nice.

BTW, I'm female, you loon.

Forum List

Back