U.S. women's olympic soccer team beats the Kiwis on first game

US eliminated by Sweden in penalty kicks. The headlines on USSoccer.com tonight should be:

"USWNT Coach Jill Ellis Stripped of Position after Embarrassing Loss to Sweden"

and

"US Soccer Informs Solo, Morgan, and Press They Will Not Be Part of Future USWNT Squads".
I have been busy today from early morning and did not watch the game. I just start catching up with the news.
Are these the headlines in your quotation marks?

I have been busy today from early morning and did not watch the game. I just start catching up with the news.

No. They are what the headlines SHOULD BE. They won't be, but they SHOULD BE. Total failure by the coaching staff, the star players, and Hope Solo. Even more unpleasantly, this is NOT the first time we've seen it in this tournament.

US Women going home far too early, and then need to face a serious set of repricussions for their failure in Brazil.

No. They are what the headlines SHOULD BE. They won't be, but they SHOULD BE. Total failure by the coaching staff, the star players, and Hope Solo. Even more unpleasantly, this is NOT the first time we've seen it in this tournament.

US Women going home far too early, and then need to face a serious set of repricussions for their failure in Brazil.

Repercussions? What sort do you have in mind?

People losing jobs, spots on the roster, etc... That team doesn't need to go down the same road as the USMNT. For years the girls have been the better side, but they seem to have started taking on the "who gives a fuck" attitude of the Men's team.

People losing jobs, spots on the roster, etc... That team doesn't need to go down the same road as the USMNT. For years the girls have been the better side, but they seem to have started taking on the "who gives a fuck" attitude of the Men's team.

So you don't think they had the best American players? Why would other's be better but not on the team?

So you don't think they had the best American players? Why would other's be better but not on the team?

I think it's largely coaching, lack of heart and the assumption of victory due to past experience. These girls need to understand that they can be replaced, even with inferior talent, if their results and quality of play don't meet expectations

I think it's largely coaching, lack of heart and the assumption of victory due to past experience. These girls need to understand that they can be replaced, even with inferior talent, if their results and quality of play don't meet expectations

Of course, your vast experience at top level women's soccer helps you come to that conclusion?

The team was expected to win and they did not. It is a competition. Every other team has the best of the best of their nation's players. The US Women's team looked vulnerable in 2012 and 2015, but they got teh breaks to win out. This year the breaks didn't fall their way. And you want to fire the team and the coaches? It is a game. The other team won. That happens. Please spare us your ignorant commentary while you hide in your condo and don't go into rooms with windows.

.....The US Women's team looked vulnerable in 2012 and 2015, but they got the breaks to win out. This year the breaks didn't fall their way. And you want to fire the team and the coaches? It is a game. The other team won. That happens. Please spare us your ignorant commentary while you hide in your condo and don't go into rooms with windows.

I come from a place where if you play to less than your expected ability level you don't get another chance to fail. The 2012 and 2015 tournaments should have been warnings. Warnings that were not heeded or paid attention to. Now they get to come home with the label FAILURE rather than Olympic Champion.

Hope Solo showed what a classless bitch she is

Last edited:
.....The US Women's team looked vulnerable in 2012 and 2015, but they got the breaks to win out. This year the breaks didn't fall their way. And you want to fire the team and the coaches? It is a game. The other team won. That happens. Please spare us your ignorant commentary while you hide in your condo and don't go into rooms with windows.

I come from a place where if you play to less than your expected ability level you don't get another chance to fail. The 2012 and 2015 tournaments should have been warnings. Warnings that were not heeded or paid attention to. Now they get to come home with the label FAILURE rather than Olympic Champion.

So does every other team that didn't win the gold medal. Unless you have something better to replace the existing team, your idea is petty and stupid.

And who are you to say they didn't play to their ability? Your expectations have no bearing. Plenty of great teams played their best and still lost.

So does every other team that didn't win the gold medal. Unless you have something better to replace the existing team, your idea is petty and stupid.

Sometimes you have to execute the first insolent soldier in front of the entire army to make the rest comprehend that you mean bysiness.

And who are you to say they didn't play to their ability? Your expectations have no bearing. Plenty of great teams played their best and still lost.

This is a team that won a World Cup last year. Therefore that is the level of expectations. If they couldn't live up to that, they should have stayed home and not wasted USOC and US Soccer funds on a trip to Rio.

Sometimes you have to execute the first insolent soldier in front of the entire army to make the rest comprehend that you mean bysiness.

This is a team that won a World Cup last year. Therefore that is the level of expectations. If they couldn't live up to that, they should have stayed home and not wasted USOC and US Soccer funds on a trip to Rio.

Yeah, because a women's soccer team MUST be kept in line. So Hope Solo should be executed?

Yes it is. They won the World Cup last year. And they lose one game to get knocked out of the competition at the Olympics and you want them all punished. Did you donate money to the USOC and US Soccer?

They were also the runner up in 2011. Should have punished them all for losing the final game. Oh, but they wouldn't have won in 2015 if you had done that. But hey, the US team won in 1991 and 1999 too. How about we punish the 1995, 2003, and 2007 teams too. Make'em pay back every nickel they received from the USOC, US Soccer, and every bake sale done to support them.

Fortunately, you are just a miserable asshole. The team will be fine. Solo will probably be gone. But she had a good run. "As of August 6, 2016, Solo holds several U.S. goalkeeper records including appearances (202), starts (190), wins (153), shutouts (102), wins in a season (26), consecutive minutes played (1,256), and longest undefeated streak (55 games)" from Hope Solo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia She seems like a bitch, but that doesn't matter at all to me. Play your best. That is all I expect. I have watched her because she is an excellent goalkeeper. The rest doesn't matter to me.

Yeah, because a women's soccer team MUST be kept in line. So Hope Solo should be executed?

Yes it is. They won the World Cup last year. And they lose one game to get knocked out of the competition at the Olympics and you want them all punished. Did you donate money to the USOC and US Soccer?

Solo should be removed from ALL association with US Soccer. As should Alex Morgan and Kristen Press.

No I didn't donate. I actually don't believe American athletes should be going to international competitions, but if they do I expect them to win.

Solo should be removed from ALL association with US Soccer. As should Alex Morgan and Kristen Press.

No I didn't donate. I actually don't believe American athletes should be going to international competitions, but if they do I expect them to win.

Oh, so you don't help them, and don't agree with them going, but you want them punished if they don't win. LMAO!! Too funny.

No, they won't be removed from all association with US Soccer. They have won championships. Alex Morgan saved the US from elimination against Canada and helped win the 2015 World Cup. Kristen Press was the 2nd leading scorer on the 2015 World Cup championship team. Unless you have something more serious than "they didn't win", these women will continue to be a part of US Soccer.

Oh, so you don't help them, and don't agree with them going, but you want them punished if they don't win. LMAO!! Too funny.

No, they won't be removed from all association with US Soccer. They have won championships. Alex Morgan saved the US from elimination against Canada and helped win the 2015 World Cup. Kristen Press was the 2nd leading scorer on the 2015 World Cup championship team. Unless you have something more serious than "they didn't win", these women will continue to be a part of US Soccer.

I support them by spending 2+ hours at a time watching their games. That's more than I will do with the USMNT at this point.

I agree nothing will be done. That's why I will have to consider whether I can continue to support US Soccer.

I support them by spending 2+ hours at a time watching their games. That's more than I will do with the USMNT at this point.

I agree nothing will be done. That's why I will have to consider whether I can continue to support US Soccer.

LMAO!! You don't send them a dime. The closest thing to support you can claim is that you go to the great effort (supreme show of skill and determination) of turning on your tv?? Wow. I wonder how they will survive without you.

Forum List

Back