U.S. infant mortality rate rises for first time in over 2 decades

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Very disappointing. Infant mortality should be falling, not rising in the US, post Covid.

The U.S. infant mortality rate rose 3%, with 20,538 deaths recorded in 2022, according to provisional data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Wednesday.

The big picture: The CDC report found there were 5.6 infant deaths per 1,000 live births in 2022, compared to 5.44 per 1,000 live births in 2021 — marking the first year-over-year increase since 2001 to 2002 after a decades-long overall decline.

Of note: The provisional report from the CDC's National Center for Vital Statistics (NVSS) does not indicate why there were 610 more deaths last year than in 202

Researchers will have to examine next year's data to determine whether it's a "blip" or an indicator of an "underlying health care issue," said Danielle Ely, a National Center for Health Statistics health statistician and one of the report's authors, to
What they found: TherCNN.1.e were increases among all ethnicity groups except for the infants of Asian women.

• Deaths among infants of Black women remained the highest of all the groups, with almost twice the U.S. average at 10.86 per 1,000 births.
  • For infants of Native American or Alaska Native women, mortality rates "increased significantly" from 7.46 infant deaths per 1,000 to 9.06 deaths in 2022, per the report.
  • Mortality rates increased for two of the 10 leading causes of death: maternal complications, such as preterm delivery, and bacterial sepsis, caused by the body's extreme response to an infection.

Or just a reflection of Hispanics dropping anchor babies after they cross the border with little to little to no prenatal care prior to crossing the border. They count in the figures too even though that demographic's figures are "avoided".

Or with a fluctuation that small it could be we are hitting the bottom of the curve and some bounces are bound to happen.

Infant mortality has plummeted in the past 100 years. If you want to see what it used to be like, go to an old cemetery and look for stones with "Baby Boy" or "Baby Girl" and the same birth year and death year listed.

Or with a fluctuation that small it could be we are hitting the bottom of the curve and some bounces are bound to happen.

Infant mortality has plummeted in the past 100 years. If you want to see what it used to be like, go to an old cemetery and look for stones with "Baby Boy" or "Baby Girl" and the same birth year and death year listed.
Anyone over 65 could tell you of their parent's siblings that died as infants.....My grandmother had two that died. My wife's grandmother had one that died.....Life was a lot tougher back then.

Anyone over 65 could tell you of their parent's siblings that died as infants.....My grandmother had two that died. My wife's grandmother had one that died.....Life was a lot tougher back then.
My parents’ siblings lived, and into their 90s.

Now my great-grandmother, in Europe, was a different story. Married at 18, the first five children died as infants, or were miscarried. My grandmother, child #6, was the first to survive to adulthood (and lived to 95).

The thing is once you get below 6 or so the differences become statistical compared to the massive numbers found in the worst countries.
We're still behind such economic titans as...Hungary, Spain, and Puerto Rico.

Probably has something to do with all of the radioactive sludge Americans shove down their throats.
But infants? Mothers are putting Coke into the bottle or having their babies eat a Big Mac meal.

They need to factor out drug-addicted mothers, or mothers who guzzled booze throughout their pregnancies, and then compare.

We're still behind such economic titans as...Hungary, Spain, and Puerto Rico.

By a statistically viable amount?

When you get into the decimal points and even the single digit numbers, you can be talking statistical hiccups.

Plus of the 3, only 1 may have our level of drug abuse, which would be a contributing factor on our part.

Forum List

Back