U.S. Income Inequality Now Worse Than In Many Latin American Countries

Right. Take a look at the actual link. Ah, don't bother. Just continue believing what you want. You are a con. that is what you do.

Seriously child, even your CNN link states that it is using "the Fortune top 50 companies."

The Salaries.Com link I provided gives a true average.

Oh, and even that half million total compensation average is skewed by the Skilling, Cook, Balmer, Grove types who pull in obscene amounts.

Most CEO's run companies of about 100 employees: they don't pull down a billion a year for that.

You're trying to sell a fantasy to justify your hatred and jealousy.

Blow it out your ass bigot.

And, no, you didn't distract from the fact that commie bastards like yourself don't give a flying fuck about the income disparity that exists between the bureaucratic parasite class and the hard working people out in The World, people who have their life's blood sucked form them in order to fund their rather lavish upper middle class lifestyles.

Sure we do (I'm speaking for all Liberal Commies now) care about others, namely you trailer trash righties who are too fucking stupid and lazy to act on your own behalfs, so we Pinkos have to urge the minimum wage be increased so maybe, godwilling, you can go back to drinking beer from 12 ounce cans. Or at least we can hope. Call it my "I had a dream" speech: I dreamt of a land where right wing morons can not only drink beer that isn't the cheapest 24 in the cooler, but where they can breath free, in a clean T shirt, and maybe even put wheels back on their homes! Yes, brothers, I HAVE A DREAM!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry; apparently I hit a bit too close to home for you, Oddie, mobile as it might have been 30 or so years ago before pulling the wheels off it.

Honest question, Koios: why would you expect anyone to give you a civil answer?

You are intellectually dishonest, you ignore and dismiss most evidence that reveals the idiocy of what you post. You are often stumbling drunk when you post, creating slop with your logic and your typing. So why would anyone respect you or treat you seriously?

Sorry; apparently I hit a bit too close to home for you, Oddie, mobile as it might have been 30 or so years ago before pulling the wheels off it.

You are intellectually dishonest, you ignore and dismiss most evidence that reveals the idiocy of what you post. You are often stumbling drunk when you post, creating slop with your logic and your typing. So why would anyone respect you or treat you seriously?

No. Did I give you a sense I was here for the civility? Hahahahahahahaha.

So they're not serving alcohol here on USMB, you figured out. Wow; I'm impressed, U'08. In truth, I never pegged you for that level of insight.

Life is full of surprises.

No one can do anything about the vodka and nice bowl of paint chips you so enjoy....

You fell back to paint chips??? Shit, U'08, I was so proud of you when you evolved to huffing oven cleaner. You're digressing.

How very disappointing.

Income inequality doesn't fly real well in these boards. I find it troubling that people don't care that they are making less than they did 40 years ago and are going no-where income wise. Some don't care, some don't realize it and others have accepted it and gave up.

The more the government interferes with capitalism the less people will make. Why do you think people starved to death in Red China and the USSR and why do you think Europe is much poorer than the USA??
We have wealth in proportion to the amount of Republican Capitalism

Right. Take a look at the actual link. Ah, don't bother. Just continue believing what you want. You are a con. that is what you do.

Seriously child, even your CNN link states that it is using "the Fortune top 50 companies."

The Salaries.Com link I provided gives a true average.

Oh, and even that half million total compensation average is skewed by the Skilling, Cook, Balmer, Grove types who pull in obscene amounts.

Most CEO's run companies of about 100 employees: they don't pull down a billion a year for that.

You're trying to sell a fantasy to justify your hatred and jealousy.
Right. Of course the numbers for the top 50 are higher than overall. But trying a 500K number just does not cut it. But believe what you will

You fell back to paint chips??? Shit, U'08, I was so proud of you when you evolved to huffing oven cleaner. You're digressing.

How very disappointing.

I'm just the commentator - the consumption is on you, sparky.
So, I have been a bit busy, so did not go out to find actual numbers for ceo pay. Here is a piece that covers it well:
"So much for the new austerity.

The average U.S. chief executive earned more than $11 million last year in salary, stock options and other compensation, according to a new analysis by the Economic Policy Institute. That’s about 231 times more, on average, than workers.

That ratio has shrunk a bit since the height of the dot.com bubble, when a ballooning stock market inflated CEO compensation to 411 times that of working stiffs.

And it’s smaller than the pay gap calculated recently by the AFL-CIO, the umbrella federation of unions representing about 12 million U.S. workers. Their analysis concluded that the typical CEO of an S&P 500 Index company made 380 times the average wages of U.S. workers in 2011.

Whatever. What's clear is that the pay gap between U.S. CEOs and rank-and-file workers is higher than anywhere else in the developed world. And it has been accelerating over the last few decades. In 1965, the U.S. CEO-to-worker compensation ratio was roughly 20 to 1.

Here are some additional stats to put the oh! in CEO:

-- 725%: That's how much average CEO compensation increased between 1978 and 2011, according to EPI.

-- 5.7%: That’s how much the average worker’s compensation increased over the same period.

Bottom line: It pays to be CEO."
U.S. CEOs paid 231 times more than average workers - Los Angeles Times

And here is the wsj report on compensation of 456 of the largest firms in the US:
CEO Compensation - The Wall Street Journal Online

Meathead -

I'm a capitalist, and capitalism means that there SHOULD be disparity of income. Rewards should be based on the work involved put into the task.

However, we have gone from a situation around the world where the difference between a CEO's income and the average income in that firm has risen from something like 40:1 to 450:1.

I consider that exploitative and unfair to the point of being a bastard interpretation of what capitalism is all about.

I work with firms where salaries have remained stagnant for 5 years - during which time the CEO's income has risen 20%. That is simply not right.

The reason we are seeing such massive discrepancies in income is due to the fact we lowered top income tax rates so much. When income tax rates were 70% on very high incomes, it didn't make sense to pay out so much money to a CEO or top management people, since they wouldn't see that much of it anyway.

What is really interesting though, is the fact that these top management people who earn these absurd salaries could easily be replaced with candidate A through Z. Very few of them are that special or that important to their company's success. That doesn't necessarily mean that they did not work hard to get where they are, but it does mean that many others who worked just as hard didn't get that same deal, and only because of good versus not so good fortune. But the unbelievably amazing thing, is that many of these people are given massive buyouts when they fuck up and actually lose money for the companies they run. If they were middle management and lost a million dollar account, they'd be fired and told to try to collect unemployment. But these people on top are given five, ten, twenty million or even more, just to walk away.

These things work themselves out over time. Eventually, if this continues, and middle income earners continue to earn less and less, and the economy continues to go in a backward direction for the majority of Americans, in the end we will once again see 90% tax rates on incomes over $1 million per year. It will be a rebuttal to the greed of the wealthy. If anyone does not believe this, just ask yourself what leads to most revolutions. It's not that the wealthy are overtaxed. It's because the lower income earners become the vast majority and the wealthy are but the few.

So, while conservatives continue to say that income disparity is no problem, you will be hard pressed to find a non-partisan economist that agrees with that. Most economists, and most governments of countries worldwide, see income distribution as a huge problem. China, today, sees income inequality as their number one problem.

"Not surprisingly, the gap between the top and bottom on pay is biggest in the United States, where average CEO remuneration is 142 times that of employees, according to Thomson Reuters ASSET4 data. British CEOs pull in 69 times more than their workforces while egalitarian Sweden has an average differential of only 34 times."
INSIGHT-CEOs warned: mind the pay gap | Reuters

EOs got a whopping 24% pay hike last year as corporate profits soared with the recession's end, more than making up for two years of declining pay.
The average worker? Not so much. Those lucky enough to still have jobs saw their pay inch up a meager 3.3%, which might have been enough to cover the rising prices of gas and food.
CEOs got a big raise; how about you? - 1 - executive pay - MSN Money

research, moreover, indicates executive compensation at the nation's largest firms has roughly quadrupled in real terms since the 1970s, even as pay for 90 percent of America has stalled.
Nation & World | Executive pay drives increasing wage gap | Seattle Times Newspaper

The income disparity between ceo and average worker is more than twice that of any other country. And many times that of the average industrialized nation.

Appeals to authority demonstrate a lack of ability to articulate the concept. Phrases like "most non-partisan economists" without any actual statistical data seem to be shorthand for, "I don't know enough to explain it to you and I'm just repeating someone else's talking point."

Seems to me this is a because of some very progressive "reforms" in Latin America. So are the poor in Latin America any less poor as a result?

No. They are still quite poor.

Hardly. Lula's first act as Brasil's president was to raise the minimum wage. And it lifted Brasil out of the global recession sooner and faster than any other country in the Americas.

Show the causal relationship and proof that the poor in Brasil are poor no longer.

A simple description is not a possibility. Go read. See why a bad income distribution is considered a concern for China today, why the advanced countries of the world worry that such distribution leads to problems with education, and with social programs, and with the economic well being of the countries involved.

It is simple enough, and that you ignore it is telling, that income inequality concentrates wealth (by definition) among a few who then are able to use that wealth to control our government.
But you believe it is jealousy based, so I suspect that you will not read anything. Because that reasoning is about the stupidest idea I have yet seen from you. And that is an accomplishment.

You speak of wealth as though it is a finite pile of cash from which we all must draw. That is patently ridiculous.
No, I do not. Wealth is finite at any point in time. But at any time, there is just so much INCOME to draw from. That is, a company has profits, at the end of an accounting period. So, that is not wealth. Wealth, however, derives from income, among other sources. And I do not believe that anyone is suggesting that you re-divide wealth. But that you look at taxing income as a way of affecting wealth over time.

Taxes exist to fund the legitimate costs of government. Using them as social tools hamper the revenue stream as well as the society such efforts endeavor to improve.

No. Did I give you a sense I was here for the civility? Hahahahahahahaha.
Yet you have the gall to bust on me for lack of civility.

Like anyone needed any more evidence that Marxist knuckle draggers like you have multiple sets of rules.

Blow it out your ass bigot.

And, no, you didn't distract from the fact that commie bastards like yourself don't give a flying fuck about the income disparity that exists between the bureaucratic parasite class and the hard working people out in The World, people who have their life's blood sucked form them in order to fund their rather lavish upper middle class lifestyles.

Sure we do (I'm speaking for all Liberal Commies now) care about others, namely you trailer trash righties who are too fucking stupid and lazy to act on your own behalfs, so we Pinkos have to urge the minimum wage be increased so maybe, godwilling, you can go back to drinking beer from 12 ounce cans. Or at least we can hope. Call it my "I had a dream" speech: I dreamt of a land where right wing morons can not only drink beer that isn't the cheapest 24 in the cooler, but where they can breath free, in a clean T shirt, and maybe even put wheels back on their homes! Yes, brothers, I HAVE A DREAM!!!!
You're the one who busted out the trailer trash attack on me, you bigoted asshole.

You now have no defensible ground from which to try and rip on me for lack of civility, commie dickweed.

Forum List

Back