U.N Security Council calls for cease-fire in Gaza

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Security Council calls for cease-fire in Gaza - CNN.com

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council late Thursday overwhelmingly approved a resolution calling for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza.

Fourteen of the council's 15 members voted in favor of the resolution, with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice abstaining from the vote on behalf of the United States.

The resolution expresses "grave concern" about the growing humanitarian crisis and heavy civilian casualties in Gaza, as well as civilian deaths in Israel from Hamas rocket fire.

No longer surprised at the part I bolded.

Some interesting tidbits from the article:

Roughly 765 Palestinians and 13 Israelis, including 10 soldiers, have been killed since Israel began its military assault on Gaza on December 27.

Rice applauded the resolution's goals, but said the United States prefers to wait for results of ongoing, Egyptian-brokered talks in Cairo, Egypt, with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.

She said the United States supported the text, goals and objectives of the resolution, but that the United States feels it's important to see the terms of any cease-fire hammered out in Egypt.

Wrangling over the resolution centered on wording. Arab countries generally pushed for language demanding Israel cease its attacks, while Western diplomats wanted more neutral language.

"Security for the people of Gaza, too. Not security for Israel alone," Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa, of Egypt, said before the vote as reporters were asking diplomats about the resolution

GorrellArt07.26.06.jpg

I'll take odds on Hamas refusing to 'ceasefire' no matter what the UN says.

It's not clear such a cease fire is possible. the resolution calls for an "immediate, durable and fully respected cease fire" but does not specify what it would take to make such a cease fire durable or what "fully respected" would mean. Moreover, according to the CNN story, the resolution is not binding.

"A resolution from the council, particularly one that passes with such large support, can put international pressure on parties involved in a conflict. But they are in no way binding, and many in the past have been ignored by warring factions."

If CNN is correct about the resolution being non binding, then it essentially expresses support for a durable cease fire and for the negotiations going on in Egypt but leaves it up to Israel and Hamas to decide whether or not they are ready to end the fighting. I suspect the US abstained to show support for some "moderate" Arab leaders who are under great pressure at home to at least appear they are doing something to end the Israeli operation.

It's not clear such a cease fire is possible. the resolution calls for an "immediate, durable and fully respected cease fire" but does not specify what it would take to make such a cease fire durable or what "fully respected" would mean. Moreover, according to the CNN story, the resolution is not binding.

"A resolution from the council, particularly one that passes with such large support, can put international pressure on parties involved in a conflict. But they are in no way binding, and many in the past have been ignored by warring factions."

If CNN is correct about the resolution being non binding, then it essentially expresses support for a durable cease fire and for the negotiations going on in Egypt but leaves it up to Israel and Hamas to decide whether or not they are ready to end the fighting. I suspect the US abstained to show support for some "moderate" Arab leaders who are under great pressure at home to at least appear they are doing something to end the Israeli operation.
its just more stupidity from the UN

In other news, the sun rose today.

A non-binding UN resolution is basically a suggestion such as "Uh, hey guys, can you stop fighting? We think you should stop fighting."

Hamas, which is not a government recognized by the UN, doesn't have abide by jack squat and since the US abstained, Israel doesn't have to do anything. How much of our taxpayer dollars go towards the UN? And why in the world is that building on Manhattan waterfront property? I can see it from my apartment every morning along with the rest of the manhattan and i tell ya', I'd love to live at that location... being East of the FDR gives you a REALLY nice view.

Last edited:
In other news, the sun rose today.

A non-binding UN resolution is basically a suggestion such as "Uh, hey guys, can you stop fighting? We think you should stop fighting."

Hamas, which is not a government recognized by the UN, doesn't have abide by jack squat and since the US abstained, Israel doesn't have to do anything. How much of our taxpayer dollars go towards the UN? And why in the world is that building on Manhattan waterfront property? I can see it from my apartment every morning along with the rest of the manhattan and i tell ya', I'd love to live at that location... being East of the FDR gives you a REALLY nice view.

:lol: I just wonder how much your racist cocky ass would be scared if America no longer protected Israel like a mother who always defends her son no matter what.

Which will happen the minute we leave Iraq and Afghanistan since we have two footholds in the Middle East other then Israel and no longer need Israel. In the past, the U.S would of voted against such a resolution; binding or non binding.

Last edited:
:lol: I just wonder how much your racist cocky ass would be scared if America no longer protected Israel like a mother who always defends her son no matter what.

Which will happen the minute we leave Iraq and Afghanistan since we have two footholds in the Middle East other then Israel and no longer need Israel. In the past, the U.S would of voted against such a resolution; binding or non binding.
Looks like you had a typo there, but anyway, Israel did fine for 20 years without Uncle sam, and they would do fine if he left them again, probaly would help them in the long run also.

Looks like you had a typo there, but anyway, Israel did fine for 20 years without Uncle sam, and they would do fine if he left them again, probaly would help them in the long run also.

Which typo? I may of missed it.

And Israel got by because of aid from a bunch of other countries.

Without the U.S's political and international influence; Israel would be cooked faster then an egg on a hot summer day sidewalk.

In 2001, when Israel was undergoing the intafada and Ehud Barak dstroyed nearly half of the West Bank, we had ZERO troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

My ass is not racist. I'm not racist. I'm just biased against people who want to kill me.

Without the U.S's political and international influence; Israel would be cooked faster then an egg on a hot summer day sidewalk.

Why do you think the US supports Israel?

Ever heard of the term "We share a common enemy."

You left out a comma and it makes it a little hard to understand, but no matter.

What are these other countries?

Israel bought weapons from France, but the French often blocked sales if they thought it would give them leverage, that is one of teh reasons Israel began it's own arms industries.

But these weapons wern't free, they paid for them.

You left out a comma and it makes it a little hard to understand, but no matter.

What are these other countries?

Israel bought weapons from France, but the French often blocked sales if they thought it would give them leverage, that is one of teh reasons Israel began it's own arms industries.

But these weapons wern't free, they paid for them.
i guess Robert doesnt know that a lot of the R&D done for future weapons systems for the US are done by Israelis
also, Intel and other high tech firms
Israel doesnt need our help as much anymore and we should cut back some of the funding
as we should cut off all funding for countries that stab us in the back

i guess Robert doesnt know that a lot of the R&D done for future weapons systems for the US are done by Israelis
also, Intel and other high tech firms
Israel doesnt need our help as much anymore and we should cut back some of the funding
as we should cut off all funding for countries that stab us in the back

IS the US just too incompetent to handle the R&D ? What's the point in outsourcing it. Are the Israelis smarter ?

Ever hear of the term "foothold in the Middle East."

Yes. America has many, not just Israel my young ignorant friend. Look how US flags are there. HARK! What's this? America supplying an Arab Muslim country with military jets?

AIR FORCE OF JORDAN

Aircraft Origin Type Versions In service[1] Notes Northrop F-5E/F Tiger II United States fighter trainer F-5E F-5F 41
Bell AH-1 Cobra United States attack helicopter AH-1F AH-1S 31
Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon United States fighter trainer F-16A F-16B 28 4
Slingsby T-67 Firefly United Kingdom trainer T-67M-260 16
Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon United States fighter MLU models 14
CASA C-101 Aviojet Spain trainer C-101CC 13
Eurocopter AS 532 Cougar European Union transport helicopter AS 532M 10
Eurocopter EC 635 Germany utility helicopter EC-635 9
Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon United States fighter F-16AM/F-16BM MLU 8
MD Helicopters MD 500 United States scout helicopter MD 500D 8
Lockheed C-130 Hercules United States tactical transport C-130H 4
Lockheed F-16 Fighting Falcon United States trainer F-16B Block 20MLU 3
CASA C-295 Spain tactical transport CN-295 2
Dassault Mirage F1 France trainer fighter fighter Mirage F1B Mirage F1C Mirage F1E 2 17 17
Schweizer SA 2-37 United States trainer SA 2-37A 2
Socata TB France utility TB 20 Trinidad 2

In the late 1990s, then Air Marshal Ahmed Shafik (and the incumbent Civil Aviation minister) expressed the ambitions of the Egyptian Air Force for the 21st century. The EAF hopes to obtain the modern technology it needs to deter any aggression, help its allies, and protect Egyptian national security. This technology includes space and air reconnaissance systems; airborne command and control aircraft; advanced next generation fighters; and air refueling and heavy transport aircraft.
In 2002, Egypt requested 12 F-15E Strike Eagle strike fighter from the US. Israel quickly moved to block the sale, citing that in all Egypt's recent military exercises Israel was the target. The Americans refused to ban the sale of F-15s to Egypt at first but later agreed when Israel presented further evidence that Israel was in fact the "enemy" in all of Egypt's military exercises.[10][11][12]
Due to the refusal of the USA government to allow such weapons to be acquired by the EAF and also due to the failed deal for 4.5 billion in 2005 for 60-100 F-16C/D Block 60/62. In November 6, 2006, Egypt began talks with Mikoyan over the possible sale of the MiG-29SMT to Egypt for 40 fighter .
In 2007, Egypt further examined prospects for delivery of a larger batch of MiG-29SMT's (60-80 planes) & 24-40 Yak-130 in the advanced trainer/light support role to replace the aging Dassault-Breguet/Dornier Alpha Jet plus a deal for 20-25 Sukhoi Su-35 for air superiority role. The deal was encouraged by an effort by Russia to regain Egypt as an ally.
Egypt had also made several deals with Ukranian companies for the upgrade of their old Mig-21 aircraft. The upgrade will include the implementation of Helmet-mounted-sight and R-73 missiles coupled with LCDs and few engines modifications . It's not clear whether the upgrade will include the insertion of the Kopyo Radar or it will not . [13][14][15]
Egypt has an additional future need for more than 100 medium multi-role fighters by 2010 to replace the rest of MIG-21 & F-4 with expectation of delivery between 2011 to 2015. France's offer for a mix of Dassault Rafale and used Dassault Mirage 2000 is in consideration.
In 2008, Egypt also has expressed its interest in the license built/assembly of the JF-17 using the K-8E production line starting in 2010 from the Sino-Pakistani consortium. A total of 120-140 will be required to replace both Chengdu J-7 Airguard and the Dassault Mirage 5 in both the interceptor and strike roles respectively.

Foothold in the middle east and being "friendly" is two different things.

Jordan has consistently followed a pro-Western foreign policy and traditionally has had close relations with the United States and the United Kingdom. These relations were damaged by Jordan's neutrality and maintaining relations with Iraq during the first Gulf War. Jordan has a well earned reputation for usually following a pragmatic and non-confrontational foreign policy, leading to fair relations with its neighbours.

King Abdullah II on a visit to The Pentagon.Following the Gulf war, Jordan largely restored its relations with Western countries through its participation in the Southwest Asia peace process and enforcement of UN sanctions against Iraq. Relations between Jordan and the Gulf countries improved substantially after King Hussein's death. Following the fall of the Iraqi regime, Jordan has played a pivotal role in supporting the restoration of stability and security to Iraq. The Government of Jordan signed a memorandum of understanding with the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to facilitate the training of up to 30,000 Iraqi police cadets at a Jordanian facility.

Saudi Arabia is also considered a "friend" as well as Pakistan. But that doesn't make it the truth.

So you support the murder of 6 million Jews? Figures, I know someone else that actually accomplished that feat. How do you feel being in HIS company?

So you support the murder of 6 million Jews? Figures, I know someone else that actually accomplished that feat. How do you feel being in HIS company?

Where did I say support the murder of 6 million jews?

Stop trying to invoke Godwin's Law you fucking nut.

How exactly do I say I support the murder of 6 million Jews? Mind pointing me to that?

You NEVER want to debate the fuckin issue at hand, all it is attacking other's characters badly because that's all you know how to do.

Forum List

Back