Two blue states cut medicaid ????

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
These Two States Cut Medicaid And Saved Money - Matt Vespa

I was interested in the article and would not have shared it except that it was Illinois and Penn. Two blue states.

Seems they actually went after waste (you know...that thing that really worries conservatives when it comes to government programs) and fraud (you know...that thing that really encourages liberals to support it).

Listening is to be commended for changing her mind about government medical programs, such as this one. She is fearlessly posted to dhow that the states made a great reform to make Medicaid even work better financially. Read the link below.

As Illinois entered its 2013 fiscal year, the Medicaid budget faced a shortfall of $2.7 billion. The state had begun implementing some of the reiforms that other states are incorporating, such as shifting more Medicaid recipients into private sector Medicaid managed care organizations (MCOs), but it needed to find even more savings.

In response, Illinois state Representative Patti Bellock garnered bipartisan support to pass the SMART Act in 2012, which included several Medicaid reforms. One of the most important of those was a provision to establish the Illinois Medicaid Redetermination Program (IMRP) to "redetermine" if Medicaid enrollees were still eligible to participate.

And it did just that. Maximus recommended removing 249,912 cases by the end of February 2014, according to the state.5 By law a state employee has to review the recommendations and decide if cancellation is appropriate. The state removed 148,283 cases (representing 234,000 individuals) from the Medicaid rolls.

However, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) filed suit claiming that most of the work should be done by state bureaucrats, and a federal judge agreed. Although the outside vendor is still involved, it’s role has been reduced significantly. Even so, the state has continued to identify people who should be dropped from the Medicaid rolls. According to state data, 173,469 Medicaid cases have been cancelled between February and September.6

Not all of these cancellations are the result of fraud. Many simply did not respond to the state’s repeated inquiries.

And the Illinois audit found that more than 8,000 dead people were still on the state’s Medicaid rolls.

As for Pennsylvania [emphasis mine]:

The Keystone State also cut its rolls, but with a somewhat different approach. After introducing several Medicaid cost-saving measures as Rhode Island’s secretary of Health and Human Services, Gary Alexander went to Pennsylvania as secretary of the Department of Public Welfare to tackle both Medicaid and welfare.

In July 2011, the Pennsylvania legislature passed broad legislation intended to weed out waste, fraud and abuse in the state’s welfare system to get welfare spending under control. Rather than turning to an outside group, Alexander hired someone to manage his Enterprise Wide Program Integrity Initiative to ensure that people on the welfare rolls, including Medicaid, were actually eligible for the program. Within 18 months some 220,000 people were removed from the welfare rolls, saving the state about $710 million, according to Alexander.

Pennslyvania is hardly a blue state. It is true that PA does tend to vote for the Democrats for President but that alone doesn't make it a blue state. The present governor is a Republican, one of the few GOP governors not to win reelection a couple weeks ago. The state legislative branch is controlled by the GOP, the majority elected to The House of Representatives are Republicans, and we have one Dem and one Rep in The Senate. Pennslyvania is a moderate swing state.

Listening didn't change any thinking when it comes to state programs....Fakey.

I've always said that if there was to be government run health care it should be at the state level.

You are so desperate to look smart you'll make up anything.

A bump to see what the libs have to say about this.
Personally, although I'm all for providing 'safety net' programs, I'm realistic enough to say that states have to live within their means.

That's great.

Why can't anyone feel the same way about the federal government ?

Let the dems raise taxes, crash the economy and watch their numbers in the house dwindle to single digits.

These Two States Cut Medicaid And Saved Money - Matt Vespa

I was interested in the article and would not have shared it except that it was Illinois and Penn. Two blue states.

Seems they actually went after waste (you know...that thing that really worries conservatives when it comes to government programs) and fraud (you know...that thing that really encourages liberals to support it).

Still falling for the old partisan rhetoric huh? Two parties, one agenda. We have the illusion of choice, but mainstream liberal and conservative values are a well-orchestrated media hypocrisy.

Clinton eviscerated the welfare system when he was in office. Obama cut food stamps at a time when food prices have never been higher, and still climbing. Not to mention the fact that the majority of welfare dollars in this country actually go to red states.

Personally, although I'm all for providing 'safety net' programs, I'm realistic enough to say that states have to live within their means.

That's great.

Let the dems raise taxes, crash the economy and watch their numbers in the house dwindle to single digits.
The federal government is the lender of last resort. It provides the final reckoning for the state of the economy. In effect, it determines the value of money through inflation.

I've always said that if there was to be government run health care it should be at the state level.

All though you lied about your previous stance (your affirmation so your obligation to prove it), I am glad you are beginning to see light.

That's great.

The debt has been halved and the GOP has finally learned about the deficit. Remember that Cheney said deficits don't matter.

All though you lied about your previous stance (your affirmation so your obligation to prove it), I am glad you are beginning to see light.

I don't have to prove anything to you...moron.

You are the one who has made the assertion that I lied.....YOU PROVE IT.

I am not saying that I would like state run health care, but I've always said the tenth gave states the power to have it. The constitution does not give congress that same right.

That's great.

The debt has been halved and the GOP has finally learned about the deficit. Remember that Cheney said deficits don't matter.

You make no sense as usual.

Listening is tap dancing all over the place. She said this, she didn't say that, boo hoo.

You made the affirmation, honey, you got to prove it. If you won't, then you lied.

Listening is tap dancing all over the place. She said this, she didn't say that, boo hoo.

You made the affirmation, honey, you got to prove it. If you won't, then you lied.
She does not even know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. The trick question fooled her into showing her ignorance.

Let's go at it in the BullRing Jake.

Are you ready to face me ?

Then we'll let the judged decide who has such responsibility.

Forum List

Back