Trump Pushing For His Federal Election Interference Case To Be Televised

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The request for a televised trial comes as the federal election case in Washington has emerged as the most potent and direct legal threat to Trump’s political fortunes.

Donald Trump is pushing for his federal election interference trial in Washington to be televised, joining media outlets that say the American public should be able to watch the historic case unfold.

The Justice Department is opposing the effort to broadcast the trial, scheduled to begin in March, and notes that federal court rules prohibit televised proceedings.

News organizations, including the Associated Press, have argued there has never been a federal case that warrants making an exception to that rule more than a former president standing trial on accusations that he tried to subvert the will of voters in an election.

Lawyers for Trump, who has characterized the case against him as politically motivated, said in court papers late Friday that “every person in America, and beyond, should have the opportunity to study this case firsthand.”

“President Trump absolutely agrees, and in fact demands, that these proceedings should be fully televised so that the American public can see firsthand that this case, just like others, is nothing more than a dreamt-up unconstitutional charade that should never be allowed to happen again,” Trump’s lawyers wrote.

The request for a televised trial comes as the federal election case in Washington has emerged as the most potent and direct legal threat to Trump’s political fortunes.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan has appeared determined to keep the Washington trial date as scheduled.

I think it should be televised. The public deserves to see it all - the good, bad and ugly. What do you think?

I leave it to the mods regarding appropriate forum.

It should be televised. Give the people a chance to see their candidate for the Presidency during the campaign before ballots are cast. Tying someone up in court so they can't campaign is sort of unamerican, this will give President Trump a chance to speak his piece.

Donald Trump is pushing for his federal election interference trial in Washington to be televised, joining media outlets that say the American public should be able to watch the historic case unfold.

The Justice Department is opposing the effort to broadcast the trial, scheduled to begin in March, and notes that federal court rules prohibit televised proceedings.

News organizations, including the Associated Press, have argued there has never been a federal case that warrants making an exception to that rule more than a former president standing trial on accusations that he tried to subvert the will of voters in an election.

Lawyers for Trump, who has characterized the case against him as politically motivated, said in court papers late Friday that “every person in America, and beyond, should have the opportunity to study this case firsthand.”

“President Trump absolutely agrees, and in fact demands, that these proceedings should be fully televised so that the American public can see firsthand that this case, just like others, is nothing more than a dreamt-up unconstitutional charade that should never be allowed to happen again,” Trump’s lawyers wrote.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan has appeared determined to keep the Washington trial date as scheduled.

I think it should be televised. The public deserves to see it all - the good, bad and ugly. What do you think?

Ultimately yes, I have to agree, it should be televised. Voters deserve to know.

It should be televised. Give the people a chance to see their candidate for the Presidency during the campaign before ballots are cast. Tying someone up in court so they can't campaign is sort of unamerican, this will give President Trump a chance to speak his piece.

Speak his peace? He's on trial - not holding a rally. The judge will determine how he speaks his peace.

Do you think Trump will take the stand and speak under oath.....? Hell no! Imo.

So him speaking won't be during the trial when under oath to tell the truth anyway.....??? He can still lie all he wants on the court steps whether televised in the courtroom or not....imo.

America is known for transparency, he should have been pushing for this right rom the start. I presume it would also be HUGE numbers for TV at a time they desperately need younger viewers.

Of course he is knowing it would require a major change to judiciary rules (ain't gonna happen) or legislation from Congress (also ain't gonna happen.)

So why didn't Trump say yes when the judge in NY asked if he wanted to televise that trial?

So, if in opposition with the Fed court and it gets televised, Trump will think it's a win.

In addition to televising the proceedings (we watched the OJSimpson trial for a year, right?) the best development would be for the court to permit the Defendant to expound on all the reasons why his minions were angry about a stolen election, which would open a lot of eyes. Indeed, Trump's lawyers could prove - beyond a reasonable doubt - that the election WAS stolen.

I see a parallel with the decision of the U.S. government after the Civil War to decline to prosecute Jefferson Davis for treason, fearing that the Supreme Court might ultimately find that the South had the right to secede. He was NOT included in the general pardon.

Do you think Trump will take the stand and speak under oath.....? Hell no! Imo.

So him speaking won't be during the trial when under oath to tell the truth anyway.....??? He can still lie all he wants on the court steps whether televised in the courtroom or not....imo.

I don't really care what he would say in a trial - so long as he's UNDER OATH.

Reminds me of another fuhrer who milked a lot of publicity from his own treason trial. Times may change but fuhrers and their treasonous ways remain the same.

I hope they don’t televise it. He’s turned our politics into a sad sideshow already. Healing has just begun.

I don't really care what he would say in a trial - so long as he's UNDER OATH.
He will not ever testify in a criminal trial of his own....he will not go under oath in the Jan 6th trial, or any criminal trial. That is simply fact.

I can go either way, with the tv or without the tv.....I'm ok with either....as long as the trial does not turn in to a circus or campaign rally....

Liberals have turned this into a "clown circus" 🤡🤡and President Trump needs to have this televised to SEAL the DEAL on Election Day! :boobies:

Yeah all he wants is free publicity in prime time. His followers will eat it up. This gives him an unfair advantage over his competition.

the fact that the news will be in the court room is insufficient for Trump. He wants to be on TV and thus put on a show.

The jury who will decided on guilt will be on TV. Do they have a say as to whether they want to be on TV.

The judge should deny the motion as there is no legal basis for this. If people want to see the trial then go to the trial on your dime.

News reports from both sides will be there to report.

If trump wants to be on TV then wave to the cameras as he enters the courthouse.

After the verdict then the cameras should zoom in.

Judges have to impose gag order in order for Trump to just shut up. To put him on TV would be giving him an unfair advantage.

Forum List

Back