Trump & Jerusalem: Why is this necessary?

this is why there will be hell to pay:
The Palestinians seek east Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state and fear that Trump’s declaration essentially imposes on them a disastrous solution for one of the core issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Palestinians will never have an independent state. That would be a security disaster for Israel, and so they at best will have some limited autonomy, and more likely some broken up territorial status.

Israel cannot risk Hamas bringing in more Iranian missiles and staging them in the West Bank.

For the last time, Palestinians want peace.

They want a piece of Jerusalem, a piece of Nazareth, a piece of Bethlehem, ................

It may be that the decision is the greatest thing since sliced bread but to not get something in exchange? That seems like a basic tenet of diplomacy. Trump should read the Art of the Deal, he might learn something.

I think he got Israels promise to work with the Saudis.

Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995

The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995[1] is a public law of the United States passed by the 104th Congress on October 23, 1995. It was passed for the purposes of initiating and funding the relocation of the Embassy of the United States in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, no later than May 31, 1999, and attempted to withhold 50 percent of the funds appropriated to the State Department specifically for "Acquisition and Maintenance of Buildings Abroad" as allocated in fiscal year 1999 until the United States Embassy in Jerusalem had officially opened.[2] The act also called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel. Israel's declared capital is Jerusalem, but this is not internationally recognized, pending final status talks in the Israeli–Palestinian conflict. The United States has withheld recognition of the city as Israel's capital. The proposed law was adopted by the Senate (93–5),[3] and the House (374–37).[4]

Since passage, the law has never been implemented

It may be that the decision is the greatest thing since sliced bread but to not get something in exchange? That seems like a basic tenet of diplomacy. Trump should read the Art of the Deal, he might learn something.

I think he got Israels promise to work with the Saudis.
I hope you're right but that doesn't sound very concrete. The Israelis could propose something, knowing what the Saudis will not accept it, and claim they kept their promise.

this is why there will be hell to pay:
The Palestinians seek east Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state and fear that Trump’s declaration essentially imposes on them a disastrous solution for one of the core issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The Palestinians will never have an independent state. That would be a security disaster for Israel, and so they at best will have some limited autonomy, and more likely some broken up territorial status.

Israel cannot risk Hamas bringing in more Iranian missiles and staging them in the West Bank.
If Israeli security is the issue, why are there no US troops in Israel? We have plenty in S. Korea and have kept the peace there for decades. No country would attack Israel if it meant attacking the US. Of course it would mean determining the boundaries of Israel and I don't think Israel is done annexing territory yet. They don't want peace any more than the Palestinians do. They both want victory first, peace second.

I hope you're right but that doesn't sound very concrete. The Israelis could propose something, knowing what the Saudis will not accept it, and claim they kept their promise.
It is not concrete at all, I am simply engaging in surmise.

But it makes sense, and it is in Israels best interest to work with the Saudis anyway as Iran is the new 800 pound gorilla in the ME anyway. I suspect that they were already cooperating in propping up ISIS.

If Israeli security is the issue, why are there no US troops in Israel? We have plenty in S. Korea and have kept the peace there for decades. No country would attack Israel if it meant attacking the US. Of course it would mean determining the boundaries of Israel and I don't think Israel is done annexing territory yet. They don't want peace any more than the Palestinians do. They both want victory first, peace second.

The presence of US forces has not deterred the Shiite terrorists who work for Iran.

it is in Israels best interest to work with the Saudis anyway as Iran is the new 800 pound gorilla in the ME anyway. I suspect that they were already cooperating in propping up ISIS.
What we need is a new Saddam, a secular, Sunni strongman that can keep the Shiites and Kurds in check and act as a counter weight to Iran. We blew that big time.

The presence of US forces has not deterred the Shiite terrorists who work for Iran.
True but US troops wouldn't have to police a hostile population, they would only need to be a trigger for external threats. Then we could bring Israel to terms with the Palestinians since, with US troops present, a Palestinian state would no longer be an existential threat.

I should post this in the CDZ, but what the hell, I'm here now.

Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

With everything else going on right now, why is this necessary?

What is the NET - and I mean, above and beyond the anger this is stirring - positive of this move?

Because Israel’s capital is Jerusalem, and the world needs to stop being afraid of Muslims.

good question. far as i know it *is* their capital but failure to recognize it officially somehow makes people who hate israel a little happier. that would likely go back to israel being given the land long ago and stir up crap that's been stirred up in that region since that region found its first grain of sand in their shoe.

for trump it could be just to NOT be like everyone else. he's also following through on a campaign promise. why is it important? i can't answer that unfortunately because i don't know why it hurts people one way or another what capital they have or why other than a continued reason to keep the same hate alive.

good question - i'm anxious to hear non-trollling input and learn some also.

Who said it is their capital?

Israelis do. Since when do other countries dictate to others what their capitals are?

I should post this in the CDZ, but what the hell, I'm here now.

Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital

With everything else going on right now, why is this necessary?

What is the NET - and I mean, above and beyond the anger this is stirring - positive of this move?

Donald wants to create distractions so we don't think about the criminality of him and everyone around him. He also wants to keep his evangelical crazies happy.

This is going to get people killed. (Even if I believe it's something to work toward as part of a diplomatic effort)

Diplomacy has been ongoing for decades through multiple presidents from both parties.

Maybe if the Arab States stop getting the crumbs they beg for they may finally start negotiating in good faith.

You mean just let the fake jews take their homes in the west bank. Gaza, the largest outdoor prison.

see, you need to stop that idiocy. it gets you nothing. it's false and alie4 and it makes people like me who might have some sympathy for at least some of your positions in the region say "screw you".

:thup:

Come on Jillian, we know Israel was to be set up as a secular country, half to the Palestinians and half to the secular Jews, and Jerusalem was to be divided. You so called Jews have been stealing and killing the Palestine since you moved there, 80% Palestinians and 20% Jews, and now its just the opposite. Israelites are doing what was in the OT, killing and genocide of the area. Stealing every moral of land by force.

Maybe if Palestinians had better immigration control, they wouldn’t be facing “genocide”.

Now you know why we support secure borders and tough immigration policy.

U.S. government recognition of Jerusalem as capital

Pro's for America = We get nothing, nada, zip

Con's for America = 1.5 billion people PO'ed at us

Pro: expose Muslims for the hateful bigots they are. Unite the world against them.

Donald wants to create distractions so we don't think about the criminality of him and everyone around him. He also wants to keep his evangelical crazies happy.

This is going to get people killed. (Even if I believe it's something to work toward as part of a diplomatic effort)

Diplomacy has been ongoing for decades through multiple presidents from both parties.

Maybe if the Arab States stop getting the crumbs they beg for they may finally start negotiating in good faith.

You mean just let the fake jews take their homes in the west bank. Gaza, the largest outdoor prison.

see, you need to stop that idiocy. it gets you nothing. it's false and alie4 and it makes people like me who might have some sympathy for at least some of your positions in the region say "screw you".

Come on Jillian, we know Israel was to be set up as a secular country, half to the Palestinians and half to the secular Jews, and Jerusalem was to be divided. You so called Jews have been stealing and killing the Palestine since you moved there, 80% Palestinians and 20% Jews, and now its just the opposite. Israelites are doing what was in the OT, killing and genocide of the area. Stealing every moral of land by force.

Maybe if Palestinians had better immigration control, they wouldn’t be facing “genocide”.

what genocide?

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...-warns-of-rapid-palestinian-population-growth

good question. far as i know it *is* their capital but failure to recognize it officially somehow makes people who hate israel a little happier. that would likely go back to israel being given the land long ago and stir up crap that's been stirred up in that region since that region found its first grain of sand in their shoe.

for trump it could be just to NOT be like everyone else. he's also following through on a campaign promise. why is it important? i can't answer that unfortunately because i don't know why it hurts people one way or another what capital they have or why other than a continued reason to keep the same hate alive.

good question - i'm anxious to hear non-trollling input and learn some also.

Who said it is their capital?

Israelis do. Since when do other countries dictate to others what their capitals are?

there is that...but the way its being done is ham-handed

what genocide?

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...-warns-of-rapid-palestinian-population-growth

That’s why I used quotes. Palestinians were simply defeated and too weak to hold the lands they are claiming. Yet for some reason we are all supposed to feel sorry for this one tribe that was beaten, above all others that have been conquered throughout human history.

what genocide?

That’s why I used quotes. Palestinians were simply defeated and too weak to hold the lands they are claiming. Yet for some reason we are all supposed to feel sorry for this one tribe that was beaten, above all others that have been conquered throughout human history.

I know... I was merely supporting with data.

I used to have sympathy for them. then I saw Nightline...which did a week long series of discussions on the Israel-pal issue. they had panelists from both sides. the Israelis kept talking about compromise and living together. the pals said Israel didn't even have riparian rights and should be destroyed. not a single pal talked about living together. and they teach their kids to hate with a terrorists Mickey Mouse. When they were offered 98% of what they were demanding and Arafat said he couldn't take the deal or he'd "be drinking tea with Rabin".

so at some point, you can't have sympathy for hate-filled people who lost despite support from every Arab nation....and refuse to want peace. nothing has changed since Golda Meir ... and pals still hate Israel more than they love their children.

which still doesn't mean this is being done properly.

what genocide?

I know... I was merely supporting with data.

I used to have sympathy for them. then I saw Nightline...which did a week long series of discussions on the Israel-pal issue. they had panelists from both sides. the Israelis kept talking about compromise and living together. the pals said Israel didn't even have riparian rights and should be destroyed. not a single pal talked about living together. and they teach their kids to hate with a terrorists Mickey Mouse. When they were offered 98% of what they were demanding and Arafat said he couldn't take the deal or he'd "be drinking tea with Rabin".

so at some point, you can't have sympathy for people who lost despite support from every Arab nation....and refuse to want peace. nothing has changed since Golda Meir ... and pals still hate Israel more than they love their children.

which still doesn't mean this is being done properly.

What is the proper way? To continue to bow and grovel to Muslim demands? You are contradicting yourself. You admit these Muslim dogs have no intentions of peace, yet think they should be coddled. If your beloved Hussein had the balls to do this, you’d be cheering it. But because it is President Trump, you have to automatically oppose it.

Forum List

Back