Trump insults a war hero

Umm ... you apparently didn't agree with it either. When I asked, what is heroic about being captured, you didn't have a single response. And how could you? Being captured is not heroic.

i have been clear that i think that he crossed the hero threshold when he refused to be sent home early.
That would be an appropriate answer had the question been, Why was McCain a war hero? But it wasn't. The question was, what heroic about being captured, which is not even necessarily specific to McCain.

so, please explain to me why this is important at all.
I don't think it is all that important.

i agree, it is not important.

so, to recap.

trump said something stupid in the heat of the moment, immediately corrected himself, and liberals, none of whom would have ever voted for mccain, are trying to make a mountain out of this molehill.
For a third time .... what is heroic about being captured ... ?

we have agreed that neither of us think that.

i thought we agreed that the fact that other people disagree with that is not important.

so why are you asking again?
Sorry, my bad. When I said this is not all that important, I thought you meant this discussion in general, not specifically about Trump saying someone is a war hero for simply being captured. Which is what I'm trying to get someone to explain.

In regard to him making such a ludicrous claim, how does that fit in with his statement that he likes troops who aren't captured?

Sorry, but this whole thing was blown way out of proportion by people looking to score political points.

I am a Vet of several wars, and I (intentionally trying NOT to speak for all vets) do not consider myself a 'hero' for doing my job, for fighting for my country. I do not consider a soldier who simply gets captured by the enemy to be a 'hero'. That is always a risk we take...it happens. If you notice, John McCain himself did not call himself a 'hero'. We military types tend NOT to do such things. Humility usually pretty much comes with the job.

As a military member and a citizen, I do not need 'hero worship' from a Commander-and-Chief, but I do exect a measure of respect and support. (It also helps when the President actually LIKES the US military, unlike the current President.) For instance, I appreciate the fact that the mantra 'no man left behind' was thrown out to justify paying terrorists for a deserter...but at the same time, where was that creed when 4 Americans were left to die in Benghazi. Even if a response team gets there 'too late', it's NOT to late to secure the bodies of murdered Americans instead of allowing them to be dragged through the streets of some God-forsaken village overseas.

We also welcomed home a deserter and placed medals on his chest like a hero, but now we are seriously considering filing criminal charges against a Naval LCDR (White) for returning fire against an Islamic Extremist who committed an act of war on US soil by killing members of our military? REALLY?!

Again, you don't have to LIKE me or think I am a 'hero' - just support me in doing my job, have my back, and take care of me as I was promised, whether I retire as a veteran or fall in combat.
Thank you for your service.

That said....

Holyfuckingshit! :eusa_doh:

Stevens was not left to die. A rescue team went in. Some of whom were killed themselves. And Stevens was not dragged through the streets. He was rushed to a hospital.

There were 4 Americans who were killed in Benghazi, not just Stevens. These 4 were abandoned to die. Do you know exactly WHEN that 'rescue' team went in? There was never a 'rescue' team - there was a 'recovery' team. The FBI was not allowed into Benghazi to investigate the 'crime scene' until days after the attack. It is amazing what people who are NOT 'in-the-know' think they know...because the media and their President told them so.
Sorry, but this has been investigated by GOP-led committees no less than 8 times now and none of them reached the conclusions you are drawing. They were not abandoned. They were remote and the nearest base was hours away. Too far away to defend the ambassador. A small contingency of agents were located at a nearby annex and tried to help. Stevens was not dragged through the streets. There was no stand down order. No one in the administration lied about the anti-Muslim video. The worst they found, with the aid of 20/20 hindsight vision, was that there could have been better security. As Secretary of State, that falls on Hillary Clinton's shoulders. She will have to answer those questions to the electorate.

We know these things, not because of the media or the president, but from no less than 8 GOP investigations.

i have been clear that i think that he crossed the hero threshold when he refused to be sent home early.
That would be an appropriate answer had the question been, Why was McCain a war hero? But it wasn't. The question was, what heroic about being captured, which is not even necessarily specific to McCain.

so, to recap.

trump said something stupid in the heat of the moment, immediately corrected himself, and liberals, none of whom would have ever voted for mccain, are trying to make a mountain out of this molehill.

i thought we agreed that the fact that other people disagree with that is not important.

Sorry, my bad. When I said this is not all that important, I thought you meant this discussion in general, not specifically about Trump saying someone is a war hero for simply being captured. Which is what I'm trying to get someone to explain.

In regard to him making such a ludicrous claim, how does that fit in with his statement that he likes troops who aren't captured?

'FOOT-IN-MOUTH' :)

so, to recap.

Revision on the recap: Trump didn't correct shit.

it's really nice the way you go to bat for mccain, but yes, trump did, repeatedly.
Why do you chickenhawk cowards all have to lie about everything all the time?

you don't have the credibility to get me to click on a video link.

the transcript of the exchange was posted, and trump immediately corrected himself.

so, to recap.

the latter was him slamming mccain in anger, saying something he didn't mean, the former was his normal more generous standard.

as to why trump and so many others consider pows war heroes are you sure no one else covered that?

i though i saw someone in this thread explaining that.

Sorry, but this whole thing was blown way out of proportion by people looking to score political points.

I am a Vet of several wars, and I (intentionally trying NOT to speak for all vets) do not consider myself a 'hero' for doing my job, for fighting for my country. I do not consider a soldier who simply gets captured by the enemy to be a 'hero'. That is always a risk we take...it happens. If you notice, John McCain himself did not call himself a 'hero'. We military types tend NOT to do such things. Humility usually pretty much comes with the job.

As a military member and a citizen, I do not need 'hero worship' from a Commander-and-Chief, but I do exect a measure of respect and support. (It also helps when the President actually LIKES the US military, unlike the current President.) For instance, I appreciate the fact that the mantra 'no man left behind' was thrown out to justify paying terrorists for a deserter...but at the same time, where was that creed when 4 Americans were left to die in Benghazi. Even if a response team gets there 'too late', it's NOT to late to secure the bodies of murdered Americans instead of allowing them to be dragged through the streets of some God-forsaken village overseas.

We also welcomed home a deserter and placed medals on his chest like a hero, but now we are seriously considering filing criminal charges against a Naval LCDR (White) for returning fire against an Islamic Extremist who committed an act of war on US soil by killing members of our military? REALLY?!

Again, you don't have to LIKE me or think I am a 'hero' - just support me in doing my job, have my back, and take care of me as I was promised, whether I retire as a veteran or fall in combat.

That said....

Stevens was not left to die. A rescue team went in. Some of whom were killed themselves. And Stevens was not dragged through the streets. He was rushed to a hospital.

There were 4 Americans who were killed in Benghazi, not just Stevens. These 4 were abandoned to die. Do you know exactly WHEN that 'rescue' team went in? There was never a 'rescue' team - there was a 'recovery' team. The FBI was not allowed into Benghazi to investigate the 'crime scene' until days after the attack. It is amazing what people who are NOT 'in-the-know' think they know...because the media and their President told them so.

Sorry, but this has been investigated by GOP-led committees no less than 8 times now and none of them reached the conclusions you are drawing. They were not abandoned. They were remote and the nearest base was hours away. Too far away to defend the ambassador. A small contingency of agents were located at a nearby annex and tried to help. Stevens was not dragged through the streets. There was no stand down order. No one in the administration lied about the anti-Muslim video. The worst they found, with the aid of 20/20 hindsight vision, was that there could have been better security. As Secretary of State, that falls on Hillary Clinton's shoulders. She will have to answer those questions to the electorate.

We know these things, not because of the media or the president, but from no less than 8 GOP investigations.

Faun, there are STILL 'new' things coming out about this even even today...why do you think there are about 2 months of e-mails missing from the Secretary of State's e-mails that just happen to be the time span involving Benghazi.

Where to start:
1. The Obama administration hired an AL QAEIDA-associated militia to 'protect' a US Ambassador.

2. The compound where the Ambassador was staying was attacked twice in the weeks previous to the final attack that cost him his and 3 other Americans their lives. The 2nd attack left a 3-foot hole in the compound wall - does this sound to you like a bunch of guys taking a walk one night and deciding to kill some Americans?

3. The US State Department, knowing about these attacks AND the existing threat called for by an Al Qaeida leader, REDUCED the number of US security personnel guarding Stevens the last 2 weeks. (The specific threat was a call for thge seath of Stevens on 9/11/12 in retaliation for a Benghazi Al Qaeida leader killed a month or 2 earlier by drone strike.) Add in the reports from Stevens in the last 2 weeks that Benghazi govt buildings were suddenly flying Al Qaeida flags and that 'ANOTHER' Al Qaeida training camp had been opened....

4. You say the nearest base was hours away...the attack on Benghazi - the whole event took more than 8 (Eight) hours. NO ONE ever knows how long an attack wil lgo on...which is why the EXPERTS know that the Reaction Force LAUNCHES...if for no other reason to secure the US PROPERTY (Compounds/Embassies) and secure the bodies! There was a team prepared to go. There was a 'stand-down' order. General Ham was relieved of duty because he was going to launch the team anyway. I really odn't care what the media said or what you heard from people not there, expecially on UN-Classified ESPN.

5. Both Hillary and Obama disappeared during the whole time...no one has come forward to declare and/or prove where they were until it was all over. The 2 State Department leads in Tripolis said they notified hillary personally within minutes of the attack that Benghazi was under TERRORIST attack..which proves Hillary LIED to Congress about knowing if it was a terrorist attack or not. (The fact that it was agreed that she did not have to testify under oath like everyone else seems to make sense now, doesn't it?)

6 The day after the Obama administration DID blame it on a video. Susan Rice - armed with a CIA report that was proven to have been modified 13 times before being released, every reference to 'terrorism' having been removed - went on the Sunday talk shows and blamed the videos.

7. Amost a month later, Obama again blamed a video when he gave a speech before the UN nearly a month later. In that speech Obama declared to the world, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." He was talking about how the video, which he was still claiming was ultimately responsible for Benghazi, had slandered Mohammad! I watched the speech...I have the transcripts!

so, to recap.

Revision on the recap: Trump didn't correct shit.

it's really nice the way you go to bat for mccain, but yes, trump did, repeatedly.
Why do you chickenhawk cowards all have to lie about everything all the time?

you don't have the credibility to get me to click on a video link.

the transcript of the exchange was posted, and trump immediately corrected himself.

You lie boy.

That said....

Faun, there are STILL 'new' things coming out about this even even today...why do you think there are about 2 months of e-mails missing from the Secretary of State's e-mails that just happen to be the time span involving Benghazi.

Where to start:
1. The Obama administration hired an AL QAEIDA-associated militia to 'protect' a US Ambassador.

2. The compound where the Ambassador was staying was attacked twice in the weeks previous to the final attack that cost him his and 3 other Americans their lives. The 2nd attack left a 3-foot hole in the compound wall - does this sound to you like a bunch of guys taking a walk one night and deciding to kill some Americans?

3. The US State Department, knowing about these attacks AND the existing threat called for by an Al Qaeida leader, REDUCED the number of US security personnel guarding Stevens the last 2 weeks. (The specific threat was a call for thge seath of Stevens on 9/11/12 in retaliation for a Benghazi Al Qaeida leader killed a month or 2 earlier by drone strike.) Add in the reports from Stevens in the last 2 weeks that Benghazi govt buildings were suddenly flying Al Qaeida flags and that 'ANOTHER' Al Qaeida training camp had been opened....

4. You say the nearest base was hours away...the attack on Benghazi - the whole event took more than 8 (Eight) hours. NO ONE ever knows how long an attack wil lgo on...which is why the EXPERTS know that the Reaction Force LAUNCHES...if for no other reason to secure the US PROPERTY (Compounds/Embassies) and secure the bodies! There was a team prepared to go. There was a 'stand-down' order. General Ham was relieved of duty because he was going to launch the team anyway. I really odn't care what the media said or what you heard from people not there, expecially on UN-Classified ESPN.

5. Both Hillary and Obama disappeared during the whole time...no one has come forward to declare and/or prove where they were until it was all over. The 2 State Department leads in Tripolis said they notified hillary personally within minutes of the attack that Benghazi was under TERRORIST attack..which proves Hillary LIED to Congress about knowing if it was a terrorist attack or not. (The fact that it was agreed that she did not have to testify under oath like everyone else seems to make sense now, doesn't it?)

6 The day after the Obama administration DID blame it on a video. Susan Rice - armed with a CIA report that was proven to have been modified 13 times before being released, every reference to 'terrorism' having been removed - went on the Sunday talk shows and blamed the videos.

7. Amost a month later, Obama again blamed a video when he gave a speech before the UN nearly a month later. In that speech Obama declared to the world, "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." He was talking about how the video, which he was still claiming was ultimately responsible for Benghazi, had slandered Mohammad! I watched the speech...I have the transcripts!
Who knows what your sources are, virtually everything you posted was either false or twisted.

1. No connection between the Martyrs of 17 February Brigade and Al-Qaeda have been firmly established. There may or may not have been links between the two but given the complex and nebulous connections between most terrorist groups, that is not a charge which can be made with any amount of certainty. Not to mention, the consulate was secured following the initial attack by U.S. and Libyan security personnel and may have been the ones to get Stevens to a hospital.

2. There was no attack on the consulate within 2 weeks of the attack which created a 3 foot hole in a wall. You don't know what you're talking about.

3. It's true security was cut prior to the attack but it is not confirmed Al-Qaeda flags were flown over government buildings. This stems from a Steven's cable which mentioned some contacts reported seeing them but also mentions other contacts disputed that. And given the number of black flags flown by most Islamic groups, maybe it was true, maybe it wasn't.

4. There was no stand down order and General Ham was not relieved of duty. Where the fuck are you getting your information from? Ham himself testified there was no stand down order and in fact, CIA agents (with dozens of Libyan security forces) went to the consulate within about 20 minutes from the first call for help from the Ambassador (clearly, no stand down order there). About 2½ hours later, another team is dispatched from Tripoli (clearly, no stand down order there either).

5. After eight GOP-led investigations, their conclusions were Hillary did not lie about the attack

6. Same as #5 -- GOP-led investigations have concluded neither Obama nor Rice lied about the attack.

7. It was not almost a month later when Obama made that speech. Again, and this is crystal clear -- you have no idea what you're talking about. You're merely squawking rightwing talking point. It was two weeks later, not "almost a month later.". Why does this distinction make a difference? Because GOP-led investigations have concluded that the meme of the video being the catalyst for the attack came from our intelligence community, not the White House. The White House was parroting that intel to the public for 2 weeks until the CIA determined conclusively that the attack was a coordinated terrorist attack.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documen...intelligence-committee-report-on-benghazi.pdf

People who have been exposed to gamblers, hucksters, con artist and even drug addicts understand Trumps methods of conversation manipulation. It is why he constantly interrupts, drags on his conversation, persistently misdirects in the middle of making statements, etc. His favorite deflect is the phrase "...and by the way...". This allows the con man to deflect away from the topic and have a few moments to construct a response or change the subject entirely. Trump has found the sweet spot with his fans. All he has to do is appear rude, crude and like a tough guy and those fans are mesmerized.

I understand the methods of manipulation used by ALL politicians. So what? I expect politicians to try to manipulate me, and I can't imagine they'd be very effective in that field if they didn't.

Any chance we could stop with the cult of personality bullshit and discuss actual policy positions now?

People who have been exposed to gamblers, hucksters, con artist and even drug addicts understand Trumps methods of conversation manipulation. It is why he constantly interrupts, drags on his conversation, persistently misdirects in the middle of making statements, etc. His favorite deflect is the phrase "...and by the way...". This allows the con man to deflect away from the topic and have a few moments to construct a response or change the subject entirely. Trump has found the sweet spot with his fans. All he has to do is appear rude, crude and like a tough guy and those fans are mesmerized.

I understand the methods of manipulation used by ALL politicians. So what? I expect politicians to try to manipulate me, and I can't imagine they'd be very effective in that field if they didn't.

Any chance we could stop with the cult of personality bullshit and discuss actual policy positions now?
What policy positions? I was describing how Trump avoids describing policy with the use of hucksterism and con artist techniques.

What policy positions? I was describing how Trump avoids describing policy with the use of hucksterism and con artist techniques.

Except he doesn't. He makes declarations of where he stands on issues. Perhaps you should try, I don't know, listening for content?

Except he doesn't. He makes declarations of where he stands on issues. Perhaps you should try, I don't know, listening for content?
Ya, Trump identifies problems, or at least he has you believing that. He bragged and boasted that if not for him we would not be talking about illegal immigration. You suckers actually believe that nonsense. Immigration has been a top issue for long before Trump announced his candidacy. All Trump did was say some stupid stuff that got attention and now he is claiming to be responsible for it being an issue. What suckers you people are.
He names problems but he has no rational solutions. He gets in trouble every time he tries to give solutions. To defeat ISIS he is going to bomb the oil fields and than ring the fields with American troops to protect the oil workers as they repair the oil wells and get them pumping oil. The guy is a huckster with no solutions for anything. That is why he doesn't talk about policies. He just makes declarations that he will solve the problem. That translates to making promises without using the word promise.

He makes declarations; well that's completely different. When do you suppose he'll get past the declaration stage and move on to discussion of actual details? Or do you think he plans to run a campaign based entirely on superficial rhetorical sound bites and bombastic bullshit?

He makes declarations; well that's completely different. When do you suppose he'll get past the declaration stage and move on to discussion of actual details? Or do you think he plans to run a campaign based entirely on superficial rhetorical sound bites and bombastic bullshit?
He will keep his mouth shut. The two times he voiced ideas about solving problems backfired. He got lucky on the ISIS one because no one has really jumped on him for it.
In the end he will be satisfied to have a chance at being the greatest deal maker in history. It will not matter to him which party gives him the opportunity to reach that dream. He is like a champion chess master and he wants to compete against the very best to prove that he is in fact, the very best.

Ya, Trump identifies problems, or at least he has you believing that. He bragged and boasted that if not for him we would not be talking about illegal immigration. You suckers actually believe that nonsense. Immigration has been a top issue for long before Trump announced his candidacy. All Trump did was say some stupid stuff that got attention and now he is claiming to be responsible for it being an issue. What suckers you people are.
He names problems but he has no rational solutions. He gets in trouble every time he tries to give solutions. To defeat ISIS he is going to bomb the oil fields and than ring the fields with American troops to protect the oil workers as they repair the oil wells and get them pumping oil. The guy is a huckster with no solutions for anything. That is why he doesn't talk about policies. He just makes declarations that he will solve the problem. That translates to making promises without using the word promise.
Bomb the oil fields.......a good example of the kind of well thought out strategy we could expect from Donald Trump as commander in chief.

Bomb the oil fields.......a good example of the kind of well thought out strategy we could expect from Donald Trump as commander in chief.
It would take hundreds of thousands of troops to "ring the oil fields" to secure the private oil companies who repair and operate the oil wells.

It would take hundreds of thousands of troops to "ring the oil fields" to secure the private oil companies who repair and operate the oil wells.
If you want to pursue a defensive strategy.

Stop trashing Trump.

We should be saving the uncomfortable Trump facts for the general election.

Trump as the face of the Republican Party?

Priceless.

Stop trashing Trump.

We should be saving the uncomfortable Trump facts for the general election.

Trump as the face of the Republican Party?

Priceless.
OK. Well, maybe OK.

Chuckles, EVERY politician makes declarations. They're called "campaign platforms". Did you just notice this phenomenon. As for details, we just had the preliminary GOP debate, for crying out loud. The entire point of the primary is to learn more about the candidates and how they plan to accomplish their platform goals. You act like the election is tomorrow. I think he plans to campaign, meaning attend debates, conduct interviews, and appear at townhall meetings.

Also, there's this nifty new invention called "the Internet". Have you bothered to actually research anything he has to say, or have you just been sitting back and listening to soundbytes, and then bitching because all you're hearing are soundbytes?

I swear, you're acting like all of this is somehow radically different from what happens with every candidate during primary season since ever, simply because it's Donald Trump.

Forum List

Back